kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

His continued presence in the industry I do feel like is evidence that box office isn't the end-all be-all. People respect him and he gets a lot of good movies made

That's why Brad Pitt is the 🐐

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think Fall Guy is suffering from the release date change altering people's perceptions of what a movie like this usually does. It's the kind of fare that does 30m OW and would have been totally fine in March where it originally was, like the Lost City, but the shift to the opening of summer Marvel spot really put alot of pressure on it.

Yeah it might  have been better to stick with March 1st probably but when Disney did not move Apes up to that date after the Deadpool delay they probably figured why not move it to the kick off of summer date. They knew they had a good movie and figured they could market it and get it to break through but that has not happened for any of the reason we have been giving.

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Should have made Challengers with Holland and Chalamet instead. Would have brought the budget up to 100M but would have probably made like 400M.

Agreed tbh. It's a rom com - saying it's a tennis movie is like saying Notting Hill is the biggest film in the actor biopic genre - and I don't know if I can recall a rom-com working when the star power was this imbalanced between leads. Sometimes you get a megastar and a more moderate up and coming star, but it's never quite this big of a gulf. Definitely Challengers should be compared in terms of box office and marketing to other rom coms IMO, it's not a sports movie or some small Luca indie film either, it's pretty clearly a well-marketed romance film like a million others we can compare it to.

• Like 2

Pitt was a draw during the period Moneyball was made (mid-00s to mid-10s). He'd aged into a respected actor and was coming off a bunch of critical and commercial successes, and his presence obviously helped a movie with pretty dry subject matter.

• Like 4

To steal a wrestling term, I think O'Connor and Faist are being "pushed" a little too fast as stars, whereas Hollywood used to have more mid-sized adult roles to raise someone's profile and build an audience before giving them the next jump, it kind of felt like those guys are getting jumped up in line. Like, Glenn Powell and even Jacob Elordi have gotten more of an opportunity to grow their names before being asked to carry an original movie with the marketing and expectations of Challengers.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean, Fall Guy wouldn't compete with Dune. Its release date isn't the problem in itself, I still think it'll be as successful as it could've ever hoped to be as things stand.

Dune was scheduled for March 15th and did not move up to the 1st until Fall Guy went to May 3rd. Studios do this jockeying all the time. Sometimes it works and others not.

The release date for The Fall Guy is not the problem. The problem is general audience don't seem that interested in the film. It also doesn't help that audience is rejected our gal in the last Guy Ritchie film. It seems like only musical biopics, family films and franchise films are doing good at the box office right now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

The competition in May definitely looks less intimidating than March. I just don't see how March would've been so much better for it.

It would have performed the same, to be clear - I'm saying that people's expectations would have been lower. People expect a 30m OW for a movie like this in March, not when it has the pressure of opening the summer.

Just now, AniNate said:

The competition in May definitely looks less intimidating than March. I just don't can't see how March would've been so much better for it.

Yeah the thing is we will never no for sure. Will The Fall Guy have better legs having Apes, IF , Garfield and Furiosa follow it or if it had Kung Fu Panda, Dune , Ghostbusters which was still scheduled for March 29 at that time and GVK was still on April 12th. See one studio changes and the dominoes fall.

6 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

The release date for The Fall Guy is not the problem. The problem is general audience don't seem that interested in the film. It also doesn't help that audience is rejected our gal in the last Guy Ritchie film. It seems like only musical biopics, family films and franchise films are doing good at the box office right now. 

Who you talking about Emily Blunt has not been in a Guy Ritchie movie?

I'm not surprised The Fall Guy is not breaking out. As i've already said, to me the concept looks dated. The action=romance=comedy genre reminds of flops like Killers (with Katherine Heigl), Knight and Day. It's just not a genre that's hip/cool these days imo.

20 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Pitt is still a draw. Bullet Train made 100M on his star power. I predict Wolfs will do 100M too

It’s more so the genre (action comedy) rather than just him though. He couldn’t stop Babylon from flopping. I don’t know what genre Wolfs is but it’ll probably struggle if it’s a straight up drama. 

Edited by babz06

The Funny thing is we are talking about The Fall Guy as if it has already opened. I know the pre sales are not pointing to a great result but maybe just maybe it will surprise.  And WOM will carry it. Isn't that what we want. It would be much funner to talk about then what we are doing now.

Edited by emoviefan

34 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Should have made Challengers with Holland and Chalamet instead. Would have brought the budget up to 100M but would have probably made like 400M.

I found out Dune boy and SpiderMan were two separate people only a couple months back…

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

The Funny thing is we are talking about The Fall Guy as if it has already opened. I know the pre sales are not pointing to a great result but maybe just maybe it will surprise.  And WOM will carry it. Isn't that what we want. It would be much funnier to talk about then what we are doing now.

the bUdGeT tho

39 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Not gonna lie, the exact same movie with Holland, Zendaya, and Chalamet would have had MASSIVE social media buzz lol. You might be onto something :lol: 

• Like 1