kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

yeah full guy can give the "netflix vibe". Then the film should just better than anything netflix has ever made with this genre cause they are all near to panned movies and this is not, but people don't know so yeah this could be part of the problem. Gosling in what's is the promotional material gives for the look and the attitude definitely the vibe of that terrible movie he made for netflix. 

Yeah the Fall Guy is currently at 89% on RT and Red Notice is at 37% but at this point it feels like it's just pissing in the wind to get that across to people.  Maybe people will start believing the movie is good when r other regular people start spreading positive WOM. Or not. Who knows.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

well if you spend 30M on promotion and that's give you only 15M more at the box office it's better to make 15M less or you have lost 15M more 😅

of course this is not the case cause it's amazon etc.. etc... 

Meh. The more butts in seats the better. This is a box office forum, not a budget forum.

• Knock It Off 1

Just now, AniNate said:

Meh. The more butts in seats the better. This is a box office forum, not a budget forum.

no, the promotion strategy must be well curated and you have to make a plan "if i invest 20M in the promotion i must think can bring back at least 30M or can change something". It's not "well the movie budget  is 40M, let's invest 50M in promotion so we can definitely reach at least 60m" 

Better make 40M but without promotion costs at this point. 

Again i'm not talking specifically about this movie but as general rule. 

10 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

None of this is about what I was talking about so let me make it easy for you. Do you think Civil War and Challengers would have put up much higher numbers pre-Covid?

If pre-Covid, these films had gotten the same exact marketing push they received this year, I think so.

I've seen more marketing for Civil War and Challengers than I've seen for most other films this year, let alone indie films.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

well she acts everything like that. 

Have to disagree. Subject matter in euphoria literally gets the best out of her .

In MCU trilogy she just feels out of place and there as the love interest .meh chemistry at best.

Zendaya has a "Zen and chill " attitude which I do admit gives her limited acting range.

Think she would work better in movie with a more serious tone.

9 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

no, the promotion strategy must be well curated and you have to make a plan "if i invest 20M in the promotion i must think can bring back at least 30M or can change something". It's not "well the movie budget  is 40M, let's invest 50M in promotion so we can definitely reach at least 60m" 

Better make 40M but without promotion costs at this point. 

Again i'm not talking specifically about this movie but as general rule. 

Unless you have first-hand in-depth knowledge of Amazon/MGM's finances, you really don't know what their budgeting strategy is for this movie nor what its context is within their larger operations. I just don't care to take trade / Ruimy rumors of what the numbers are as the unadulterated truth, however believable it may be.

As a movie fan all I really care about is that people show up for it, and whatever money it does make I'm pretty sure at this point it will have minimal impact on Amazon's future film ambitions nor their relationship with Luca.

• Like 3
  • Heart 2

15 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Sure. Fact is Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire is better for theaters than Challengers or Civil War

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Sure. Fact is Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire is better for theaters than Challengers or Civil War

I...don't think he said otherwise? But yeah, that's cool.

Yes I think this month has sufficiently established that we do need those dumb tentpoles too, but still anything we can get from the modest adult titles helps as well

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Zendaya can act .

Just watch euphoria. That role is made for her.

It's just Hollywood gives her roles that are really not suited to her personality.

She was terrible casting choice for MJ in Tom Holland spiderman movies in hindsight.

She was solid in dune 2 .

Remember the teen heart throb that DiCaprio was in his early days and then he transitioned into tour de force  he is today.

To give her credit, for former Disney  child star  ( yes 11 year old me watched shake it up on repeat) quite impressed how she has been able to get out of that whole circle ,not many of her peers did or do . She curved out a name for herself. 

Being able to execute when roles suit your personality isn't... acting?

59 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's why I've been thinking it's not catching. Netflix has made these movies available for free, so why pay $20/person for a date night weekend? 

Are we gonna completely ignore the difference in quality here? Netflix free movies are absolute garbage, this one supposedly isn't.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Thanks 1

I think it's clear you just can't force these movies into being more than they are, specially in this post covid and streaming takeover world. That's why we need a big movie every other weekend and these are the B openers that open on a big movie 2nd weekend or 3rd weekend. Obviously we live in a April screwed by the strikes and Studios only decided to save it for March since it's one of the years strongest months historically. We're only about to have an actual schedule with consistency starting in May.

I don't think Amazon should ever regret this. If this movie was dumped on Amazon, it would be maybe talked about for 1 week and then forever forgotten. Now they have this extremely talked about movie that will make its money in theaters, will have RELEVANCE stamped on and be a much higher profile project once it goes to PVOD and streaming. It's going to sustain months of conversation. 15M is good for a  movie like this and maybe legs out to 35M-40M and whatever it makes Overseas and will go to its next windows with a high-profile and will perform better than it would ever perform, since it is also the kind of movie people wait to watch at home today on a bigger scale.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

12 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

Being able to execute when roles suit your personality isn't... acting?

Huh? She's nothing in interviews and real life videos like her role in Euphoria. If anything, her personality would have been perfect for Comics MJ but MCU decided to make her into a loser with no friends for whatever reason

1 minute ago, justnumbers said:

I think it's clear you just can't force these movies into being more than they are, specially in this post covid and streaming takeover world. That's why we need a big movie every other weekend and these are the B openers that open on a big movie 2nd weekend or 3rd weekend. Obviously we live in a April screwed by the strikes and Studios only decided to save it for March since it's one of the years strongest months historically. We're only about to have an actual schedule with consistency starting in May.

I don't think Amazon should ever regret this. If this movie was dumped on Amazon, it would be maybe talked about for 1 week and then forever forgotten. Now they have this extremely talked about movie that will make its money in theaters, will have RELEVANCE stamped on and be a much higher profile project once it goes to PVOD and streaming. It's going to sustain months of conversation. 15M is good for a  movie like this and maybe legs out to 35M-40M and whatever it makes Overseas and will go to its next windows with a high-profile and will perform better than it would ever perform, since it is also the kind of movie people wait to watch at home today on a bigger scale.

Nice to see some positivity up in here.  It would be sad if films like this were just dumped on streaming. Never to be heard from again. 

10 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Are we gonna completely ignore the difference in quality here? Netflix free movies are absolute garbage, this one supposedly isn't.

This all the way. And some people around here are like whatever. Good reviews who cares. Feels like shouting into the void or something.

42 minutes ago, John Marston said:

When studios shut down when the Frozen Empires keep losing them money then it's game over for theaters anyway