kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

2 hours ago, Flopped said:

I know it was over a decade ago but The Lion King re-release doesn't get enough credit. 

This is wild: 

Weekend 1: $30,151,614 / $12,940 PTA

Weekend 2: $21,929,332 / $9,411 PTA

Yeah that one WAS wild. What a legacy that movie has.

Here's a wild pitch. Not sure the WB studio heads would go for it, though. It's very risky.

A 4th Batman movie starting Christian Bale with Christopher Nolan directing. #mindblown

Or...now stay with me...a legacy sequel to the Harry Potter series starring Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint. Can you imagine what some random people on an internet board might think?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I can't help but laugh about all the "superhero fatigue" "superheroes are dead" stuff given how badly a non-superhero summer opener has done. Whatever it is that's supposed to save cinema "action movie with romance and Taylor Swift score" ain't it.

Also seems pretty clear the "rave reviews from advance screenings" was likely an astroturf, albeit less sketchy than the Flash one.

I don’t think it was an astroturf, just SXSW hyping/overhyping a film as usual. Whatever hype there was very obviously couldn’t be maintained all the way to May.

6 minutes ago, KGPatt2 said:

Here's a wild pitch. Not sure the WB studio heads would go for it, though. It's very risky.

A 4th Batman movie starting Christian Bale with Christopher Nolan directing. #mindblown

Or...now stay with me...a legacy sequel to the Harry Potter series starring Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint. Can you imagine what some random people on an internet board might think?

...I'm skeptical Radcliffe and Watson want to work on projects written by Rowling for reasons that are painfully obvious.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Speedorito said:

I don’t think it was an astroturf, just SXSW hyping/overhyping a film as usual. Whatever hype there was very obviously couldn’t be maintained all the way to May.

Nah, it totally felt like an astroturf. I had seen zero real world response to the "hype" and it mainly seemed to be something referenced on box office boards. I had never heard actual realspace humans say "Wow I hear that Fall Guy movie is really something!" It certainly wasn't the equivalent of "Joker wins Golden Lion".

Posted (edited)

I bet Warner's rubbing their hands at that Jonah Nolan quote about being interested in doing more Batman movies. They have to be nice to the Matt Reevesverse now as though long as that's still profitable 

Edited by AniNate

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I bet Warner's rubbing their hands at that Jonah Nolan quote about being interested in doing more Batman movies. They have to be nice to the Matt Reevesverse now as long as that's still profitable 

Jonathon is not Christopher.

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Nah, it totally felt like an astroturf. I had seen zero real world response to the "hype" and it mainly seemed to be something referenced on box office boards. I had never heard actual realspace humans say "Wow I hear that Fall Guy movie is really something!" It certainly wasn't the equivalent of "Joker wins Golden Lion".

I mean the reviews are right there on Rotten Tomatoes, and yes they were maybe disproportionately enthusiastic compared to the ensuing ones, but the movie still has a decent overall consensus. I don't think it's fair to call it an astroturf just because some people might've stanned it here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean the reviews are right there on Rotten Tomatoes, and yes they were maybe disproportionately enthusiastic compared to the ensuing ones, but the movie still has a decent overall consensus. I don't think it's fair to call it an astroturf just because some people might've stanned it here.

This.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I mean seriously you don't have to be interested in the movie nor do the casuals /GA but acting like this is some netflix pump and dump mockbuster when it's at 83% on RT still and a lot of those reviews are still pretty enthusiastic. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

...I'm skeptical Radcliffe and Watson want to work on projects written by Rowling for reasons that are painfully obvious.

Well yeah, 100%. I said the same thing in last weekend's thread. They don't like Rowling and Rowling hates them.

My post was pure sarcasm, only speaking to the money making potential of that movie.

Its Metacritic is 73. Lots of movies have a "good not great" score on Metacritic like that. People on here talked it up like it had Fury Road level raves, so SXSW must have had a very different reaction that the critics who watched it elsewhere.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-fall-guy/

Note that its audience score is 75. This is also "good not great" range generally (especially since this movie most likely isn't getting review bombed. Compare this to the audience score for the Mario movie:

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-super-mario-bros-movie/

Maybe I miscalculated what the "raves" were but I don't get the sense paying audiences treated this film as some kind of Barbenheimer level thingy.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

It was joke about the idea of No Way Home using Three Spiderman with the previous actors being a risky choice.

Edited by Kon
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I can't help but laugh about all the "superhero fatigue" "superheroes are dead" stuff given how badly a non-superhero summer opener has done. Whatever it is that's supposed to save cinema "action movie with romance and Taylor Swift score" ain't it.

Also seems pretty clear the "rave reviews from advance screenings" was likely an astroturf, albeit less sketchy than the Flash one.

The Fall Guy is still Certified Fresh at 83 percent on Rotten Tomatoes and got an A- CinemaScore, which is far better than those metrics for The Flash. Universal moved the release date from the first weekend in March to the summer box office kick off slot: they really thought they had something.

The Super Bowl ad and leaning into Barbenheimer makes more sense with a March 1 release date—that was before this year's Oscars ceremony (March 10). Ryan and Emily were both nominated, so if they had been heavily promoting The Fall Guy in late February, of course talk about the movies they wete nominated for would naturally come up. But they moved it to May, so a Super Bowl ad can seem like a waste in a fast-moving world, and Barbenheimer was old news.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Kon said:

It was joke about the idea of No Way Home using Three Spiderman with the previous actors was a risky choice.

...forgive me for not having much of a sense of humor about anything as loathsome as forcing Radcliffe/Watson to work on Rowling related stuff again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The Fall Guy is still Certified Fresh at 83 percent on Rotten Tomatoes and got an A- CinemaScore, which is far better than those metrics for The Flash. Universal moved the release date from the first weekend in March to the summer box office kick off slot: they really thought they had something.

The Super Bowl ad and leaning into Barbenheimer makes more sense with a March 1 release date—that was before this year's Oscars ceremony (March 10). Ryan and Emily were both nominated, so if they had been heavily promoting The Fall Guy in late February, of course talk about the movies they wete nominated for would naturally come up. But they moved it to May, so a Super Bowl ad can seem like a waste in a fast-moving world, and Barbenheimer was old news.

Super Bowl ads don't really make sense for ANY movie though. Flash super bombed and lost more money than Fall Guy ever will with a much buzzier Super Bowl trailer.

What a drab, dull, ugly movie Fall Guy is. Walked out halfway through, something I haven't done in ages. It's so high on its own non-existent charm. There is zero spark between the leads. The whole rhythm of the movie is just...off. Just interminable torture. I hope The Phantom Menace tears it apart today. 

• Disbelief 2

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

...forgive me for not having much of a sense of humor about anything as loathsome as forcing Radcliffe/Watson to work on Rowling related stuff again.

The joke doesn't include Radcliffe/Watson being forced to do anything.