kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 58.40M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES | 13.70M THE FALL GUY | 4.38M CHALLENGERS | TAROT

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

8:00 on Friday morning and this thread is already 4 pages deep and 60 comments.  At least the hysterical doom and gloom about the RT audience score has died down.

I don't think most people beyond this forum actually care about the RT audience score.

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'm very much looking forward to it but if it's anything like World's Fair I think a 5m total would be a huge win.

Still need to see World’s Fair so I can’t comment too much on the comparison, but TV Glow kind of operates as a quirky horror film while also being an esoteric art film; although it’s the attributes it has with the second category that makes it such a special viewing experience imo. Easily my favorite of the year already, and if anything takes its place then I guess 2024 really might be a strong year for film after all

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I seriously don't get what the difference is except at the very margins. Apes is very much an "older audiences PG-13"

There is a massive difference. R-Rated films are restrictive, PG-13 films are more widely available to people. 

7 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I don't think most people beyond this forum actually care about the RT audience score.

Yep. Of course there are a lot of things only this forum cares about.

11 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

There is a massive difference. R-Rated films are restrictive, PG-13 films are more widely available to people. 

The audience for Apes is mainly older and has substantial overlap with the Mad Max one.

57 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I seriously don't get what the difference is except at the very margins. Apes is very much an "older audiences PG-13"

“Animated Disney Movie For ‘Older Audiences’ Declares Online Forum”

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

“Animated Disney Movie For ‘Older Audiences’ Declares Online Forum”

It shares a lot of its audience with Furiosa. Why is this so fucking hard for you people to believe?

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

It shares a lot of its audience with Furiosa. Why is this so fucking hard for you people to believe?

Like Oppenheimer and DR:Part 1 last year. The audience overlap was massive. The rating made no difference.  DR;Part 1 could have held much better if it only had Barbie in that second weekend. And those had the same rating PG-13 but completely different core audiences.

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Like Oppenheimer and DR:Part 1 last year. The audience overlap was massive. The rating made no difference.  DR;Part 1 could have held much better if it only had Barbie in that second weekend. And those had the same rating PG-13 but completely different core audiences.

...There was probably some overlap with Barbie as well. You don't get to be 600 million release by leaving a lot of cash on the table, even if Barbie's audience was mostly female.

• Like 1

As someone who championed The Maze Runner movies back in high school (sure, a lot of that was me blindly cheering for adaptations of a book I loved), Ball definitely elevated those movies with his eye for action and world-building. 

Glad to see him finding further success here. And I really hope Zelda is a hit. Would love to see him become another Kosinski (might be a weird thing to say, but hear me out): very solid director for hire with a nice action flair, but can also deliver the emotional goods when given the right material.

Dare I say it, I wouldn’t even mind Ball taking over for Cameron on one of the Avatar sequels. He’s already in the club with Disney/Fox.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 2

I mean Apes does have Furiosa and Bad Boys crossover, but there is still an untapped teen/family audience, albeit a small one, that can still help make it an option for those not interested in all the animated stuff. Regardless, I still have faith it can at least match War’s legs, which would still result in a solid gross.

• Like 1