AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | New attraction announced at DCA

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I doubt any of the big studio will attempt a 2 hour plus animated film, it's more common in anime. 

If any of the studios ever get the idea to do one aimed at older audiences we may see one. I honestly don't think cost/technology is what's holding them back.

• Like 2

Thor and JL can actually be some serious competition for Coco in hindsight now that I think about it. I mean I know CBMs target Males over 25 first and foremost but families have an interest in both.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Why, though?

Competition is pretty significant. Premise doesn't really seem like one that'll reach a wide audience  (look no further than The Book of Life if you want proof) and honestly the trailers really aren't very good. Certainly don't think it'll capture kids attention 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Competition is pretty significant. Premise doesn't really seem like one that'll reach a wide audience  (look no further than The Book of Life if you want proof) and honestly the trailers really aren't very good. Certainly don't think it'll capture kids attention 

Even the marketing is ho hum. They could've really hype up the music aspect in the trailers. It's something for Disney to sleep on the marketing like Moana and TGD but even The Star has more trailer views than it and that isn't doing jackshit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Book of Life wasn't made by a big studio and had an unfortunate release date (three straight 60%+ drops post Halloween).

• Like 2

Just now, cookie said:

Book of Life wasn't made by a big studio and had an unfortunate release date (three straight 60%+ drops post Halloween).

Point is I don't see a lot of people getting excited for a movie centering on a holiday they know very little about.

Also TBoL  is good as hell and this probably  doesn't touch it at all so that kinda kills my hype

On one hand, Coco has the advantages of being a Pixar movie and its first musical, the first good animated film in a while, a Frozen short, and an empty market space until Ferdinand. On the other hand, the marketing for it haven't been sparking up interest since the first trailer in March, (when shit like The Star or Nut Job 2 has more trailer views than a Pixar movie something might be wrong), the Frozen short will be on TV a few weeks later, and competition in November can hurt.

I am thinking anywhere from over Cars 3 but under BH6.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

Even the marketing is ho hum. They could've really hype up the music aspect in the trailers. It's something for Disney to sleep on the marketing like Moana and TGD but even The Star has more trailer views than it and that isn't doing jackshit.

Disney should be embarrassed that its marketing is losing to The Star's marketing...no way should The Star ever have more trailer views than a Pixar original...

• Like 1

Marketing essentially absent for this one... Is Disney not confident in the product?

Reminds me of the last year a Star Wars movie and November Pixar movie came out, the year of The Force Awakens and The Good Dinosaur.

Disney just let TFA swallow up all the hype, while leaving TGD to die.

But Coco is going to have a harder time with Thor and JL coming out right before it, both movies will attract a ton of families while The Last Jedi will be 3 weeks away from Coco.

Edited by Mojoguy

8 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Reminds me of the last year a Star Wars movie and November Pixar movie came out, the year of The Force Awakens and The Good Dinosaur. Disney just let TFA swallow up all the hype, while leaving TGD to die.

But Coco is going to have a harder time with Thor and JL coming out right before it, both movies will attract a ton of families while The Last Jedi will be 3 weeks away from Coco.

Pretty much this, its BO is likely to be disappointing..I'm a fan of Pixar products (apart from Cars) but I'm not really excited about Coco, no real marketing doesn't help :(

Once again Pixar is a victim of Disney's choice to favor Marvel/SW. However Pixar must also be held accountable given they've not been able to excite people about their movie. They need their Inside Out vibe back!

If the movie is good I'll watch it though :)

By the way, what are Pixar's next movies apart from Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4? I expect a lot from these movies by the way, these franchises are great!

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

By the way, what are Pixar's next movies apart from Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4? I expect a lot from these movies by the way, these franchises are great!

All originals afterwards.

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Once again Pixar is a victim of Disney's choice to favor Marvel/SW. However Pixar must also be held accountable given they've not been able to excite people about their movie. They need their Inside Out vibe back!

I also thought if Moana had no R1, it's marketing would've been a better job. I think Ralph 2 will suffer Disney's Thanksgiving November curse. Mary Poppins in Christmas and Nutcracker and Grinch are earlier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

All originals afterwards.

I also thought if Moana had no R1, it's marketing would've been a better job. I think Ralph 2 will suffer Disney's Thanksgiving November curse. Mary Poppins in Christmas and Nutcracker and Grinch are earlier.

That's a good thing to have Pixar back to originals, taht suits them :)

As for Moana I agree, Disney needs to do something about this, animated movies are extremely important because they'll be very profitable on the long run given people buy these movies for decades, and TV pay for it even 10 years, 20 years later.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Disney should be embarrassed that its marketing is losing to The Star's marketing...no way should The Star ever have more trailer views than a Pixar original...

Coco will make more money than The Star either way. I imagine they’ll be a big push to coincide with Halloween, the film still has over a month to go before release 

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Coco will make more money than The Star either way. I imagine they’ll be a big push to coincide with Halloween, the film still has over a month to go before release 

I fell like near the Week of Halloween, Disney will put more effort into Thor since it's closer.

• Like 2