AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

Just now, TalismanRing said:

I was really looking forward to it but it was so disjointed and episodic, the plot was weak, with the jokes far more hit than miss and the characters paper thin.   It was a lot more enjoyable in trailer sized snippets.  After the opening scene it was all downhill.  In terms of characters only the Joker stood out.  The animation had little of the inventiveness of LEGO movie and the way they used the legos.

I don't disagree with any of this (it's pretty damn bad.) I've just never heard anyone use pants as an insult before

22 minutes ago, Hades said:

If Lego Batman wins over Coco, I will eat my hat. The academy's hard on for Disney Animated stuff is too strong. Cars 3 will probably get a nomination. 

Pixar sequels except for Toy Story don’t get nominations. I know Batman is losing but it can get nominated.

• Like 1

I thought Lego Batman was fun for the first thirty or so minutes, but it couldn't keep up the hyperactivity for so long, and it sorta ran out of steam by the end.

10 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It would certainly be a credit to the Academy's new voting system if they're willing to dig into the indies to fill out the rest of the noms this year

It also speaks to how lousy mainstream animation is this year too, though. Most of the best animated films are movies that nobody's seen. 

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

:sadno:

I thought it would open bigger since it was strongly trending on Twitter last night - unusual for a non US release date.

It still has chances to surpass IA5 and MU, it has a very positive reception and i saw plenty of sold-outs today.

Ragnarok opens on thursday, until a few days ago i was concerned that Ragnarok could hurt Coco, but now it's otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1