kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

44 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Mad Max has a cult following and ATJ/Hemsworth are popular and known. People just can’t afford to go to the theater regularly anymore. 

If it had a cult following, inflated tickets prices would not have discouraged people from going to see it

22 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Clearly they can’t when rent, gas and food prices have outpaced wages and the working class has been bearing the brunt of recession after recession. Most Americans cannot afford a $1k emergency.

I mean the only problem with this explanation is that both sentences are unambiguously factually mistaken

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

did all the dollar theaters close cause of pandemic , cause that is how all us poor kids saw movies back in the day

With piracy now so popular, it's kind of pointless for poor kids/young adults to regularly go to the cinema 

Can we just agree that Hollywood messed up the summer schedule even beyond the impact of the strikes?* Audiences didn't have a problem heading to theaters multiple times in March.

*Though at this point, if Deadpool had been the May opener, Fall Guy (even if it had stuck to its original date) and Furiosa would have done even worse

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

We really just need to get to the June 14th/Fathers day weekend when IO 2 opens and BB ROD has a good second week hold as counterprgraming so we can take at least a one week break from this conversation and then when Bikeriders bombs the following week we  can go back to it.

Honestly, I don't see a lot of interest for Bad Boys 4.

That said, so far, it seems the tracking is good.

Edited by Kon

3 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Can we just agree that Hollywood messed up the summer schedule even beyond the impact of the strikes?* Audiences didn't have a problem heading to theaters multiple times in March.

*Though at this point, if Deadpool had been the May opener, Fall Guy (even if it had stuck to its original date) and Furiosa would have done even worse

Yeah we should all concede that but it would end the going in circles conversations that make this place great.

3 minutes ago, Kon said:

Honestly, I don't see a lot of interest for Bad Boys 4.

That said, so far, it seems the tracking is good.

You could have said the same about BB 3. The audience for this is quiet in the lead up and than they show up.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, grumpythepenguin said:

Well, we've seen from the once a year movie day price cuts that people will show up en masse with $5 tickets across the board. The problem is that studios don't want ticket prices to be that low because it'd probably reduce their overall revenues (even if numbers made up for prices to make studio box office receipts similar, it'd probably reduce pvod/streaming numbers). Movie theatres would do incredible business of course, because they don't need to make money off tickets, their concession numbers would go through the roof.

But to get prices that low, theatres would probably have to share concession revenues with studios so that everyone's incentives were aligned for cheap tickets and longer windows - which would also make movie theatre subscription deals more viable. But I don't think theatres are ready to go there yet to do this.

I've understood the reduction of price for discount tickets tend to be covered. So, the numbers reported tend to be the an bigger number of people x the regular prices tickets.

We see more people go to theaters with discount tickets, but we don't see how much money came from them.

Edited by Kon

Not to be that guy, but I do feel like the ship sailed on Furiosa 4-5 years ago. Had this come out in 2018 I think it could have matched, or even exceeded Fury Road.

• Like 3

Most of the Dollar theaters closed 15 plus years ago, way before streaming and COVID.  DVDs and the shorting of when a movie went from theater to DVD killed 2nd run theaters. 

I tried watching the JLo movie on Netflix just for fun but it's really not watchable. 

On the flip side I watched the Lady Gaga concert film on HBO and I forgot how charismatic and talented she is, how did we allow Taylor Bland to get this big, it needs to be stopped. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flopped said:

I tried watching the JLo movie on Netflix just for fun but it's really not watchable. 

On the flip side I watched the Lady Gaga concert film on HBO and I forgot how charismatic and talented she is, how did we allow Taylor Bland to get this big, it needs to be stopped.