kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Triangle of Sadness was also a comedy without subtitles yet only yielded 4M DOM. It's interesting to me how little Neon's titles gross.

They're currently where A24 was circa 2016/17 where they've had one or two solid hits, but the normies don't recognize their name just yet, nor do they have overpriced merch to make them seem cool to hipsters. I don't even think any of their movies have appeared on Netflix, while A24 hops to Netflix/Max/Hulu/Prime for mass exposure. I think Neon's stuff is Hulu-only.

The guy who owns Neon threw shade at A24 for selling candles and shit, but that might not be a bad idea if they want to get to their level. Just saying.

10 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Triangle of Sadness was also a comedy without subtitles yet only yielded 4M DOM. It's interesting to me how little Neon's titles gross.

Ehhh it was an arch and distanced and self-regarding sort of comedy whereas Anora is described as an emotional ride. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Responsible budgeting will reap it's rewards.   This will end up winning in the profit margin.  Don't be shocked if a sequel is greenlit.  

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, Kon said:

Honestly, I don't really feel general audience really cares about the star appeal from Gerwing, Robbie or Gosling for Barbie.

Don't misunderstand me, they fulfill their respective roles. I just don't think they attract a significant amount of people due to star power.

The barbenheimer basically existed cause people were interested to see a blockbuster made by an oscar nominated director with a-list multi nominated oscar actors being against another blockbuster movie made by an oscar nominated director with a-list oscar nominated actors.

No One would have cared about this supposed fun war between a Nolan movie and barbie directed by Ol Parker and with Hayden panettiere as Barbie. Let's be serious. Barbenheimer didn't happen just because black vs Pink memes. 

It was about the names involved in both projects. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

The barbenheimer basically existed cause people were interested to see a blockbuster made by an oscar nominated director with a-list multi nominated oscar actors being against another blockbuster movie made by an oscar nominated actor with a-list oscar nominated actors.

No One would have cared about this supposed fun war between a Nolan movie and barbie directed by Ol Parker and with Hayden panettiere as Barbie. Let's be serious. Barbenheimer didn't happen just because black vs Pink memes. 

I just saw this x post. :hahaha:

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

The barbenheimer basically existed cause people were interested to see a blockbuster made by an oscar nominated director with a-list multi nominated oscar actors being against another blockbuster movie made by an oscar nominated director with a-list oscar nominated actors.

Agree to disagree. I don't feel the names involved were really important for Barbie hype.

The promotion of Barbie movie (which focus on the campy and exagerated) seems to be the main selling point for this movie.

I won't deny the direction of the movie was due to Gerwig, but I don't think her name was a strong draw.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I just saw this x post. :hahaha:

And this on the same weekend they dropped another mockbuster that people forget exists as they are watching it. 

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

Agree to disagree. I don't feel the names involved were really important for Barbie hype.

The promotion of Barbie movie (which focus on the campy and exagerated) seems to be the main selling point for this movie.

I won't deny the direction of the movie was due to Gerwig, but I don't think her name was a strong draw.

Yeah nothing against Gerwig but most people did not show up for Barbie because it was a “Gerwig film” the same way people show up for Nolan’s films because they’re “Nolan films.”

The marketing of Barbie (and the film itself) played a huge role in the success. It was a Barbie film that truly looked like Barbie. A Barbie mansion on AirBnB, a new remixed Barbie rap, a full Barbie album, etc.

The Barbenheimer thing was mostly due to how very different the films were. Bright pink Barbieland campiness vs the atomic bomb. Complete opposites. To the general audience, that is more than enough to catch on. The actors attached to both projects helped too but it’s another example of the right actors attached to the right IP.

40 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Twister was the number 2 movie in North America in 96. It made 241.  Only behind Independence Day. Will Twisters make anywhere near that amount adjusted for inflation. Not a chance.  But I think if it is good it will do really well. Heck it has strong chance to be the number 2 live action movie of the summer Bad Boys Ride Or Die and Quiet Place Day One being the other contenders.

One must also remember:

K69eHk0l.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

Posted (edited)

The next Barbenheimer will seemingly be next year in April, when that Michael Jackson biopic and the Passion of the Christ sequel open, assuming neither film moves. It would be like Barbenheimer’s evil clone. 

Edited by WittyUsername

1 hour ago, Unfitclock said:

@Borobudur they have been May’s in the past that have had only two movies gross over 100 million before

It happened before doesn't mean this should repeat, especially if it is bad thing. 

48 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I get that, but he was talking about movies making at least 175M just because historically that has been the case. But historically, Marvel movies are mostly the only ones doing that. And we don't have a Marvel movie in May this year. That's the change, and I don't think we can just expect movies to make big numbers just because the month usually produces big hits. It's not really about the month all the time, it's still about the type of movies. I might agree with him if he was talking about December, when people tend to spend money on movies without much hesitation. It's one reason why I thought AQUAMAN still managed to make 124.5M. Had it been released in May, it wouldn't have touched 80M.

I wonder, did you expect any of the May 2024 movies to make 175M?

that Aquaman 2 number is exactly why I’m so big on Mufasa. Christmas brings crowds. I don’t think sub 100m domestic is possible for Mufasa.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

that Aquaman 2 number is exactly why I’m so big on Mufasa. Christmas brings crowds. I don’t think sub 100m domestic is possible for Mufasa.

I agree. Disney is smart for putting it there. It will drop from the original of course, but it would make enough to be out of flop territory. It's probably the same reason why Sony put KRAVEN THE HUNTER in December.

:hahaha:

Edited by kayumanggi

3 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Wrong lesson taken. Aquaman 2 number is exactly why Mufasa could also go wrong like how Aquaman 2 collapse 60% from its 1bn+ predecessor, and it is not like the first Aquaman isn't a Christmas release. It avoid the worst case scenario doesn't make it good finish. 

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Wrong lesson taken. Aquaman 2 number is exactly why Mufasa could also go wrong like how Aquaman 2 collapse 60% from its 1bn+ predecessor, and it is not like the first Aquaman isn't a Christmas release. It avoid the worst case scenario doesn't make it good finish. 

Aquaman 2 was a part of a dead franchise, no real reason to watch it. Mufasa is a prequel to one of the most beloved IPs in history 

• Like 3