kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Maybe this is it. Maybe this is the weekend where we all kind of realize at once that the bottom fell out and it's not coming back. I had hope as of two weeks ago. Did a whole post on it. Now I'm just in acceptance stage. I think it's all probably winding down and we are about to see things collapse "slowly, then all at once" over the next year or two for this industry as we know it and love it. That's how it usually goes. It's just so incredibly bleak. I wish the boards weren't so depressing. I wish I personally wasn't so depressing in how I post on them. I just don't see the light at the end of the tunnel at this point for the box office anymore. Even with all the bad over the last two years, this month is the first month where I do not see any light.

I mean I warned you in that post a couple weeks earlier nothing changed. Shoulda listened to ol' Mr. NTC. 🍵

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Some incredibly dramatic posts in here lmao 

The movie industry isn't dying in the next ten years. We're just in a very unknown place domestically, politically, economically. 

Streaming isn't going to take over, just like TV didn't kill the theaters. VHS/DVD/blu ray didn't kill theaters. Studios aren't stupid. They know they're going to make more money by releasing in theaters.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

My dad thought furiosa looked stupid and didn’t want to see it. Not a Mad Max fan, but usually will see anything with Hemsworth. I think the audience just didn’t care about it outside of the core fanbase.

I’m not making excuses at all. This should have done better. WB should have taken a different approach to the marketing. But at the end of the day, Mad Max is an incredibly niche franchise outside of internet circles, and while Fury Road did well, it wasn’t a gangbusters hit, and was also almost 10 years ago. 

This weekend doesn’t mean the end of the box office. Not by a long shot.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Is this an increase from Sunday? In fact this is higher than Saturday number.

It's also an increase from the Monday estimate of 4.88M.

5.70M Sunday
6.13M Saturday

• Astonished 1

Some of the posts I read here, I imagine the posters crying, drowning in alcohol, lying down on the floor with all sorts of pills surrounding them. Thinking about if Jesus exists. Probably talking to him already. Questioning if angels have a dick or vgn.

Wake up. Don't let yourself be weak, WEAK!

Things are just bound to get better weather your brain shows it or not. It may take some time again like in 2022 but it's just going to happen. Yall let everything get to you Way to easily.

Fuck it, suck it, wake up.

• Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

36 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

It's also an increase from the Monday estimate of 4.88M.

5.70M Sunday
6.13M Saturday

Well, Sunday and Monday seem to have better numbers than expected.

I'm curious about how much Furiosa made on Monday.

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Looks like Garfield didn’t hurt IF as much as people assumed. 

Agree. To be fair, Garfield didn't pull the admissions people expected either. I di think IF can get to 100M+ DOM now.

10 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I’ve still never seen the directors cut of Troy. 

Have heard the extra footage is excellent, but the temp score of much of it removes some of the best sounding sequences from the theatrical. 

I've seen a couple of the scenes on YouTube of the DC, and the music is significantly worse in those scenes, which is disappointing.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Well, for those hoping Bad Boys or Watchers will inject some hope, I would not recommend checking the tracking thread!

If Bad Boys 4 reaches the OW of its predecessor i'd call it a spectacular result, but as i said in the tracking thread, BB4 is a simple sequel to BB3 which had the advantage of being a comeback to the franchise affter 17 years. I'd say anything over 50M for BB4 is a great result

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, justnumbers said:

Some of the posts I read here, I imagine the posters crying, drowning in alcohol, lying down on the floor with all sorts of pills surrounding them. Thinking about if Jesus exists. Probably talking to him already. Questioning if angels have a dick or vgn.

Wake up. Don't let yourself be weak, WEAK!

Things are just bound to get better weather your brain shows it or not. It may take some time again like in 2022 but it's just going to happen. Yall let everything get to you Way to easily.

Fuck it, suck it, wake up.

Dont worry as soon as the trailer for Jurassic World 7 drops ill be much more optimistic about the box office and its inevitable saviour

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

Some incredibly dramatic posts in here lmao 

The movie industry isn't dying in the next ten years. We're just in a very unknown place domestically, politically, economically. 

Streaming isn't going to take over, just like TV didn't kill the theaters. VHS/DVD/blu ray didn't kill theaters. Studios aren't stupid. They know they're going to make more money by releasing in theaters.

Streaming has already taken over. Disney's latest quarterly revenue from Disney+ and Hulu is already more than they ever made from theatrical, and that is just from one quarter.

Theaters will continue to have a role to play, but it will be at a much diminished scale.

• Like 1