kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

1 minute ago, HowSway said:

Streaming has already taken over. Disney's latest quarterly revenue from Disney+ and Hulu is already more than they ever made from theatrical, and that is just from one quarter.

Theaters will continue to have a role to play, but it will be at a much diminished scale.

It's barely making any money. Will never be a big profitable business for Disney.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HowSway said:

Streaming has already taken over. Disney's latest quarterly revenue from Disney+ and Hulu is already more than they ever made from theatrical, and that is just from one quarter.

Theaters will continue to have a role to play, but it will be at a much diminished scale.

10 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

It's barely making any money. Will never be a big profitable business for Disney.

both things can be true. Streaming is profitable for Netflix, but not profitable for Disney. Though it might be because Disney spent so much on content for Disney Plus, and they're kind of stopping doing that.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

both things can be true. Streaming is profitable for Netflix, but not profitable for Disney. Though it might be because Disney spent so much on content for Disney Plus, and they're kind of stopping doing that.

IIRC It’ll be profitable next quarter. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Squire said:

A lot of Film Twitter can’t handle that Furiosa isn’t successful. I sort of get it, but still . . .

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Seems like excuses to me. I don't think reports of box office revenues drives people away from the theater or to it.

In the case of Furiosa, I don’t think there was ever any saving it, but I do think there is a greater point to be made about how people need to stop being so quick to declare movie a bomb before seeing how its legs are. 

Edited by WittyUsername

Nobody is going on Twitter or reading a deadline article then deciding “Ah this movie if flopping, then I shall not watch it!” This movie has really been followed by some of the worst takes in a long time

Just now, WittyUsername said:

In the case of Furiosa, I don’t think there was ever any saving it, but I do think there is a greater point to be made about how people need to stop being so quick to declare movie a bomb before seeing how its legs are. 

99% of movies fall in a general range of a multiple of the OW... even Elemental, it really surprised people with 5x legs, but that's really just another $30 m Dom, which isn't earth shattering. If Furiosa has 5x legs it still won't match the first Fury Road...

37 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

Somebody tell Disney, cause they sure are expecting it to be extremely profitable

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

99% of movies fall in a general range of a multiple of the OW... even Elemental, it really surprised people with 5x legs, but that's really just another $30 m Dom, which isn't earth shattering. If Furiosa has 5x legs it still won't match the first Fury Road...

I’m not even expecting Furiosa to have 3x legs, which is why I said I don’t think there was any saving it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HowSway said:

No man, everyone has already said streaming is a black hole of losses 

31 minutes ago, Squire said:

A lot of Film Twitter can’t handle that Furiosa isn’t successful. I sort of get it, but still . . .

These people have an absolutely appalling relationship with TV and Film, and display level of social ineptitude that’s just baffling. We’re at a stage of capitalism where people think they’re Frasier doing charity work because they went out to pay and watch [INSERT TITLE OF MEGA CORPORATIONS MAINSTREAM MOVIE HERE] a few weeks before everyone else can watch it at home.

The behaviour of some of these film accounts have also gives me the impression they genuinely think the movies they attach themselves to are these incredibly small niche films that require support, but the whole time they’re sending out 10 tweets per minute about Amazon’s Challengers. Like Bezos just lost everything.

Why didn’t more people pay to watch Furiosa? They didn’t want to.

Will those people be happy watching it at home one day? Probably.

• Heart 1

I don’t think it’s the corporations people are concerned about (at least I hope not). The concern when movies like Furiosa bomb is more because of the implications it has for the future of cinema. Movie theaters have already been walking on thin ice for a few years now, and having a bunch of high profile bombs doesn’t exactly help. 

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Nobody is going on Twitter or reading a deadline article then deciding “Ah this movie if flopping, then I shall not watch it!” This movie has really been followed by some of the worst takes in a long time

Exactly. People overestimate the extent (if at all) to which general audiences pay attention to box office news. The vast vast majority of people are out of the loop on what is a flop and what is a success. 

• Like 1