Eric is Quiet

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

This like one of those fantasy box office scenarios I make up in my head expect it's actually fucking happening. Feels like a fever dream. Couple days ago it was "can it TLM DOM" and now it's "can it beat The Avengers DOM" like what

Edited by HummingLemon496

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I assume they were deflating projections on purpose, but is this the most wrong deadline has ever been? 85 to 170Β 

no way its not #1 in nominal terms, but I cant imagine there being another high profile release deadline underestimated by a 100%

Β 

It’s not even close to #1 in nominal terms they were off by $130M+ on NWH :hahaha:

Β 

Off by more than 85MΒ on Endgame too

Edited by Legion Again

Just now, Legion Again said:

It’s not even close to #1 in nominal terms they were off by $130M+ on NWH :hahaha:

That was just a intentional trade lowball. . .nobody with any knowledge of tracking was actually predicting $130M for SMNWH

3 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I assume they were deflating projections on purpose, but is this the most wrong deadline has ever been? 85 to 170Β 

no way its not #1 in nominal terms, but I cant imagine there being another high profile release deadline underestimated by a 100%

Β 

Jurassic World was tracking for $100m before opening to $208mΒ 

• Like 1

Just now, Legion Again said:

Β 

oh, lol I guessΒ 

a sub 4x (2.5-ish at the absolute lowest) multiplier from Thursday previews sure would have been something

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think NWH was another situation where it was perfectly understandable to be cautious

Before presales sure. After 24hr it was very obviously going 200+ and it was extremely funny how many people wanted to blind themselves to that

10 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Β 

Super Mario Bros went from $125M 5-day industry tracking to $205M actuals and I thought that would never be toppedΒ 

Β 

But Inside Out 2 is quickly moving to be a solid $90-100M above where industry tracking had itΒ 

1 minute ago, Bob Train said:

Barbie is going down. Biggest OW since Wakanda Forever lets goooo

Soon the post pandemic top 5 OWs will be NWH, DPW, DS2, BP2, IO2. Firmly solidifying the avg moviegoer’s distaste of CBMs, sequels, and Disney

• Like 1
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Barbie is going down. Biggest OW since Wakanda Forever lets goooo

If it comes in swinging tomorrow with a 20% SAT jump then like what if its starting to break into the $180M rangeΒ 

4 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

Soon the post pandemic top 5 OWs will be NWH, DPW, DS2, BP2, IO2. Firmly solidifying the avg moviegoer’s distaste of CBMs, sequels, and Disney

Poor MCU, such a declining franchise that it owns the top 4 post pandemic opening weekends, managing to get solo movies of B-list characters (including a Black Panther movie without the main lead) to $180M+ weekends.

Edited by HummingLemon496

2 minutes ago, Relevation said:

If it comes in swinging tomorrow with a 20% SAT jump then like what if its starting to break into the $180M rangeΒ 

Would be cool, but can't see it happen in Summer with no school. But this movie has destroyed expectations so far so who knows.

20% increase tomorrow in mid june on a father's weekend is expecting too much. 10% would be awesome. It would benefit from spillover as many markets had tons of sellouts. Canada and NY have school and so those markets would see big jumps. Rest could stay flat to drop even in some markets.Β 

This topic really reminding me of when Barbenheimer came out when the numbers kept going up. Good times.

Β 

Nothing brings out more people and excitement than a mega hit (IO2) or a mega bomb (Furiosa).

Edited by Mojoguy

It genuinely feels like people have been waiting for a big BANG this summer. May lacked the usual big Marvel film and Memorial Day weekend lacked a big blockbuster. Apes and Bad Boys have done well but neither franchise has been giant (minus Dawn of the Planet of the Apes for some reason). Inside Out 2 is finally giving people the giant high-quality blockbuster they’ve been craving for months.

38 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

u/AgentCooper315 on Reddit is saying $620M domestic total what the fuck

Β 

This is most sudden blow up of expectations we've seen since Jurassic World 2015Β πŸ˜…

If I have to read u/AgentCooper315 one more time

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Β 

Nah I'll tell you the best movies from the 90s:

Β 

1. Schindler's List

2. Fight Club

3. Good Will Hunting

4. Pulp Fiction

5. Fargo

Β