Eric is Quiet

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

54 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I think Coco did way better over seas then domestic

Β 

inside out did 350 million domestic vs 210 for Coco so I think a Coco sequel will likely be an overseas monster more.

Main problem for Coco is, it was a China breakout (190M vs just 15M for IO). That makes an overseas increase tricky since China alone would cost a sequel 100M+ most likely.

Β 

EDIT: didn't see someone already said this, welp

Edited by JustLurking

My local theatre had its app and website crashing yesterday and today. Only time it happened before was during No Way Home first 72 hours of presales.

Β 

Also don't know if it's related or not, but my mobile company has a website that offers discounts for lots of cinemas across the country, and it also has been crushing today.

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

On a more depressing note, looks like Robot Dreams died at the specialty box office this weekend. I got to see it in March at least but seriously fuck Neon for burying that movie.

Neon releases a lot of great movies but they suck at promoting/getting them to be successful.

51 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Neon releases a lot of great movies but they suck at promoting/getting them to be successful.

Β 

Such a mind boggling strategy. They pick it up out of Cannes, submit it for best animated, it gets nominated and they absolutely refuse to take advantage of it. What was the point of buying it if they didn't intend to actually make money off it.

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

Bad Boys gonna outgross Indiana Jones or Transformers pretty decently in the year to year comp AND Inside Out probably 150m above Spiderverse, not bad business. If AQP can equal Transformers total it would give a significant boost too.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Β 

Such a mind blogging strategy. They pick it up out of Cannes, submit it for best animated, it gets nominated and they absolutely refuse to take advantage of it. What was the point of buying it if they didn't intend to actually make money off it.

their release strategies in general are just odd. They are like β€œhere it is” and in barely any theaters. Hopefully their Longlegs strategy works out cause they actually seem to be putting effort into that.

19 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I wonder if it just me but do Pixar movies underperform in canada?

Β 

Β 

Like looking at local theaters they are busy but not mega opener busy

Turning Red would have at least slayed in OntarioΒ 

Neon's been dying to be A24 since its very inception (they even threw shade at them for selling candles and overpriced merch, even though y'all are owned by the Alamo Drafthouse guy), but they've been moving way too fast and don't have the clout, the resources nor the understanding on how to actually do what A24 has done successfully. I think Parasite and maybe Immaculate have been their only real breakouts outside of the specialty market.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I know people are saying Elio is gonna be good, but the director switch is worrying. I do love Brave though so maybe this is that.

Β 

All Docter said was Domee Shi was "working on" it. No indication whatsoever that Molina was booted.

Β 

Rich Moore was brought on late to Zootopia and that ended up working out and Byron Howard still retained his creative authority on it.Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

I know people are saying Elio is gonna be good, but the director switch is worrying. I do love Brave though so maybe this is that.

We don't know if Molina was taken off the project or if Domee Shi was just an additional director. I think it will have two director credits (though Brave had that too)

5 minutes ago, Eric S'ennui said:

Neon's been dying to be A24 since its very inception (they even threw shade at them for selling candles and overpriced merch, even though y'all are owned by the Alamo Drafthouse guy), but they've been moving way too fast and don't have the clout, the resources nor the understanding on how to actually do what A24 has done successfully. I think Parasite and maybe Immaculate have been their only real breakouts outside of the specialty market.

They wish people would by overpriced candles from them.Β 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Really makes me sad that all the speculation now is which movie will get a sequel from Pixar.

Β 

Immeasurably better than last years diatribes that Pixar had to slash their budgets to compete.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Eric S'ennui said:

Agreed, which is ironic considering NEON ability to curate great movies is better than A24 for some time nowΒ 

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

It is worrying, but only to a degree because that’s not totally unusual in animation. For what we know, they didn’t replace the director, only put another one to work with him.
Β 

It happened exactly the same with Zootopia for example and turned out great.
Β 

Another different but sometimes even worse recent stories from Pixar: Toy Story 4 was also supposed to be directed by John Lasseter for many years of it’s production until he suddenly quit and was later totally removed from it and a good portion of the movie was substantially changed, to a point they delayed the movie in full 2 years iirc. Because of this they had to push back Incredibles 2, which made Brad Bird loses a full year of production so that movie also suffer from substantial changes due lack of time. Brad Bird publically complained that he had to drop many plotlines and ideas supposed to be in the second movie because of this, and that he would like to develop them in a possible sequel, which is why i think Incredibles 3 is coming at some point.
Β 

Inside Out was a very troubled production as well. It didn’t needed another director but the story is that they spend way more time in it than most Pixar movies and it was so hard to crack the code to made it right that Pete Docter was ready to give up and just give the movie to other director very late on the production, which never happened ultimately.Β 
Β 

I think The Good Dinosaur was one of the few examples where the end product was clearly a Frankenstein of a production, since they basically remade the whole thing very quickly with inputs from plenty of other directors. Brave is also there as one of the few that didn’t totally worked out, but this one is still somewhat good at least. Hopefully Elio will join the other many examples of great animated movie with chaotic productions.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

IF they make another Inside Out they have 2 options. One about Riley as an Adult or about another kid(how about a boy this time around). It could be about Riley's Son for example in the future. But there is no hurry in making another one. Pixar have tons ofΒ  options for sequels anyway.Β 

Β 

no the sequels will likely still focus on Riley so they can have the same emotion charactersΒ