Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

1 minute ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Horizon’s box office is not contingent upon its reviews. It is going for the same audience as Sound of Freedom, and they do not give a shit about reviews or, frankly, Hollywood. People outside of that audience were never going to see it unless it was some huge Oscar player. If it opens as terribly as pre sales suggest, Cannes is not responsible  

Well if its reviews were better it might've been a huge Oscar player, so it loses that peripheral audience it might've gotten otherwise.

Day 10 US box office comparison for Inside Out 2, Barbie, and Top Gun: Maverick

Inside Out 2 -     $355,183,116    ($100 million 2nd weekend box office estimates)

Barbie - $351,414,453    

Top Gun: Maverick - $295,641,022

Inside Out 2 is now ahead of Barbie by almost 4 million dollars.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I wonder how much money Netflix is leaving on the table by not releasing Axel F in theaters. $200M? More when you include foreign grosses?

If they believe releasing movies in many theaters will help their bussiness, they would make it.

I guess they don't see enough benefit on that.

Such a fantastic weekend overall - even with the valid gripes about a lack of depth, we can literally see that the 1-2 punch of BB4 and IO2 are helping to float, not sink, the other boats at the moment. Even Bikeriders (for what it is) is doing "ok."

Very curious to watch how the rest of the summer goes. Reminds me a bit of 2006 - where the really lackluster May turned into a decent June/July (of course the record breaking run at the time of Pirates 2 helped.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Member when people said this after Mario

Sure I do. But, Inside Out 2 - and it's early yet - is likely to be even bigger than Barbie. So... It'll be tough to beat it. Deadpool & Wolverine and Moana have potential to be huge though. So maybe... Inside Out does seem to appeal to a larger audience thank both though.

Separate note... It's nice to see Pixar can still own Illumination especially after everyone thought animated movies would be super bland, lame Illumination Mario type flicks.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Sure I do. But, Inside Out 2 - and it's early yet - is likely to be even bigger than Barbie. So... It'll be tough to beat it. Deadpool & Wolverine and Moana have potential to be huge though. So maybe... Inside Out does seem to appeal to a larger audience thank both though.

Separate note... It's nice to see Pixar can still own Illumination especially after everyone thought animated movies would be super bland, lame Illumination Mario type flicks.

The comparison was unfair because Illumination spent seven years without releasing an original. Now that they did it didn't get even close to Elemental