Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Did you just lump in WDAS with Illumination?

I mean, the Illumination films this decade have been better than any non Encanto WDAS this decade.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I will say though that we should take a moment to appreciate the fact that Luca Guadagnino and Jeff Nichols are enjoying career-best box office grosses in the same year while sharing one element. Note to auteurs looking for ways to reach mainstream-ish crowds: just cast this guy!

𝐆𝐎𝐃𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐒 || 𝐆𝐢𝐟 𝐇𝐮𝐧𝐭 - 𝐅𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐂𝐥𝐚𝐢𝐦: 𝐌𝐢𝐤𝐞  𝐅𝐚𝐢𝐬𝐭! - Wattpad

Luca does seem like he's doing just fine despite all the hubbub about the budget. He's got another movie this year and he's right back to work with Amazon with a hell of a cast

2 minutes ago, YM! said:

I mean, the Illumination films this decade have been better than any non Encanto WDAS this decade.

Raya's not that bad.

The only illumination movie I've seen this decade is Sing 2 so I can't tell you if Mario or Minions 2 or Migration are masterpieces or not.

Just now, cannastop said:

Raya's not that bad.

The only illumination movie I've seen this decade is Sing 2 so I can't tell you if Mario or Minions 2 or Migration are masterpieces or not.

I genuinely liked Sing 2. Minions is a 3/5 and Mario is around a barely 3/5 to high 2.5/5. None are particularly stunning or even much past a decent time waster but Raya’s handling of themes fumbled the movie overall, and both Strange World and Wish were mediocre to bad.

7 minutes ago, YM! said:

Raya is ok, so I wouldn't necessarily say so, more or less where the more watchable illumination flicks tend to end up. Strange World and especially Wish are terrible, though. Atrocious.

Edited by JustLurking

2 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Interesting that 20th Century was going to market the film around Jodie Comer, but Focus decided to shift to Tom Hardy and Austin Butler. I guess that makes sense since it went from awards play to “let’s try to turn a profit from this” but hopefully Comer can get a lead movie star role.

Having seen it, that was probably the right choice. She was telling the story but the movie wasn't really about her at all.

2 hours ago, XXR & Friends said:

IO2's massive performance has me very hopeful for Moana 2. IIRC, Moana was the most watched movie in all of streaming in 2023. I'm rooting for a Frozen 2 type run (domestically, at least.)

Easily the biggest Thanksgiving opener ever. I believe that record still belongs to the wide opening of Frozen in 2013.

In fact it could quite possibly also have the highest grossing Thanksgiving weekend, period, opener or otherwise. Frozen 2 currently has that record.

Edited by Insomnia

It's silly to say this for a children's movie, but I guess I felt a bit too grown up for Inside Out 2? The outside-the-mind stuff just seemed so small stakes that it couldn't really keep any level of believable drama for me. Yes, I know I didn't just turn 13. 

I've just been marveling at the numbers for IO2. I barely posted because I was on holiday - but last year I said it would take a minor miracle for the film to even pass the first film's numbers. And it's going to fucking do that in two weekends. 

Unbelievable film, and its OS performance is nothing short of spectacular. But domestically is an entirely different beast in that absolutely no one could have seen it coming. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I mean, at the end of the day, doesn't it all come back to nothing more than championing your faves? Nothing inherently wrong with that, but still. Can get nasty at times.

Something that's especially true during awards season. Even people who tout themselves as being in favor of awards shows going with genderless acting categories tend to drop that stance once it's pointed out that their faves were the ones that would likely be left out in the cold in that scenario.

I miss the 2010s box office, where there were huge franchises but originals and awards bait could also make bank. Even with 2019 movies, things like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, 1917 and Little Women made money that's impossible to imagine now. But if I'm going to keep following box office, I decided it's better to take it for what it is and appreciate the bright spots.

The Academy president made headlines this week for comments on gender neutral acting categories, they are exploring the issue. The Grammys are genderless now but still have over 90 categories. But people got mad that time Ed Sheeran won a category over 4 other women and called it sexist.

The gender splits for the non-acting categories and the Anonymous Oscar Ballots aren't promising. Plus, every year the headlines out of nominations morning would be, how many men vs women vs non-binary acting nominees there are. Is AMPAS really ready for the #OscarsSoMale and #OscarsSoWhite combo in the same year? But I get actors not wanting to choose a category when they don't feel they belong in either.

Another thing, look at the reaction to Margot Robbie missing Best Actress for Barbie: fans blamed it on sexism and the patriarchy, when the category still had 5 women and Gosling wasn't competing with her. Now imagine how much louder the backlash would've been if last season's hypothetical Lead Performance Oscar had 10 nominees but had gone 6/10, 7/10 male.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The Academy president made headlines this week for comments on gender neutral acting categories, they are exploring the issue. The Grammys are genderless now but still have over 90 categories. But people got mad that time Ed Sheeran won a category over 4 other women and called it sexist.

The gender splits for the non-acting categories and the Anonymous Oscar Ballots aren't promising. Plus, every year the headlines out of nominations morning would be, how many men vs women vs non-binary acting nominees there are. Is AMPAS really ready for the #OscarsSoMale and #OscarsSoWhite combo in the same year? But I get actors not wanting to choose a category when they don't feel they belong in either.

Another thing, look at the reaction to Margot Robbie missing Best Actress for Barbie: fans blamed it on sexism and the patriarchy, when the category still had 5 women and Gosling wasn't competing with her. Now imagine how much louder the backlash would've been if last season's hypothetical Lead Performance Oscar had 10 nominees but had gone 6/10, 7/10 male.

It is weird that people want gender-neutral acting category but when they gave it to them, they still obsessively focusing on the split of female or male in those categories. 

• Like 1

Always great when the box office does something spectacular. As a therapist I thoroughly enjoyed IO2 and it's always nice when the films you really like do better - than when they fail LOL. May's lack of depth coupled with the continued lack of additional product is also helping the audience accepted films (note, I am not saying good or bad - thats 100% in the eye of the beholder) hang on better than usual as well. 

Hopefully this carries over into a fantastic July / August as the recovery finalizes to the new "normal."

• Like 7

are we gonna see an original movie ever getting 1 Billion again ? is Nolan gonna do it with an original movie personally i don't think so his movies aren't really 4 quadrants like Titanic or Avatar or ET , Oppenheimer came close 

That adjust for inflation 2nd weekends chart is crazy... Thanks for pulling it together. I know Inflation can be a hot button topic (was 20 years ago when I was first following the BO during Shrek 2's day as well), but its about the only really good way we have to explore "similarities" strictly when it comes to the $. So much has changed in those various eras versus today and we will say the same thing a decade from now as well.

Change is always on the docket, thats for sure.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Selma said:

are we gonna see an original movie ever getting 1 Billion again ? is Nolan gonna do it with an original movie personally i don't think so his movies aren't really 4 quadrants like Titanic or Avatar or ET , Oppenheimer came close 

that's a good question.

What was the last truly original to make $1 billion? Zootopia? And even that had a lot of China box office.

My bet would be on Pixar to eventually do this. WDAS seems to be struggling so I don't think they'll do it.  🤷‍♂️

Since A24 isn't posting a formal number, I guess I just have to note this number down somewhere here.

https://collider.com/midsommar-rerelease-domestic-box-office/

Originally released in 2019 and also directed by Aster, Midsommar made $400,000 on Thursday in around 340 domestic IMAX theaters. This takes the film’s total stateside gross to around $28 million.  By comparison, Hereditary also made $400,000 and Ex Machina grossed $260,000 in their respective re-releases in March and April. Uncut Gemsgrossed $204,000 from around 325 theaters in May.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Shawshank Redemption came out the same year as Pulp Fiction and BOMBED and yet it somehow sits currently at #3 on IMDB with 2.9m ratings.

in far from a theaters  are  dead guy but Shawshank benefitted from VHS/DVD and also being constantly aired on TV.  Don’t think many movies today will get those factors 

• Like 2

I think gender-neutral categories for singing and acting are whole different beasts. It’s no secret that the types of roles an actor can get, as well as how much attention/recognition they get, depend on an actor’s gender, age, race, etc. Why eliminate a category when, at the end of the day, it’ll just lead to even less recognition for anyone who’s not a (white) man?

And honestly, the prestige of stuff and future career opportunities associated with stuff like the Grammys really doesn’t come close to the level of the Oscars, BAFTA, etc.

Edited by Speedorito
  • Like 2