Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

43 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Truly astonishing run! Happy for Pixar and theaters getting a well deserved win!

• Thanks 1

Don't want to write off Deadpool too quickly with the presales, but beyond that I think only the Disney animation sequels seem like possible competition between now and November 2025. This performance definitely raises the box office expectations for both of them, though I'm a lot more confident in the artistic quality of Zootopia than Moana

1 minute ago, WorkingonaName said:

Wouldn't discount Minecraft going full Barbie. 

Yeah my money is on Minecraft blowing up. Thats like second biggest video game next to Mario.

2 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Wouldn't discount Minecraft going full Barbie. 

Top 3 next year is pretty clearly Minecraft, Zootopia 2, and Avatar 3 imo

A Minecraft game adaptation casts an unbelievably wide audience net, everyone in the world knows what Minecraft is and it has a Mario level fanbase, $180M OW and $600M+ domestic I think is feasible with a worldwide total north of $1.4B

Zootopia 2 is a Disney animated sequel to an acclaimed original, and I’m convinced at this point that every single one of those will be straight money printers top to bottom and easily clock a top 3 of the year finish, $225M 5-day opening to $450M+ DOM and $1.25B+ WW

and Avatar 3 is an Avatar movie, no shit its gonna be a huge colossal tidal wave. The biggest movie of the year discussion has never been easier, $135M OW to $650M+ DOM and $2.3B+ WW  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Relevation said:

Top 3 next year is pretty clearly Minecraft, Zootopia 2, and Avatar 3 imo

A Minecraft game adaptation casts an unbelievably wide audience net, everyone in the world knows what Minecraft is and it has a Mario level fanbase, $180M OW and $600M+ domestic I think is feasible with a worldwide total north of $1.4B

Zootopia 2 is a Disney animated sequel to an acclaimed original, and I’m convinced at this point that every single one of those will be straight money printers top to bottom and easily clock a top 3 of the year finish, $225M 5-day opening to $450M+ DOM and $1.25B+ WW

and Avatar 3 is an Avatar movie, no shit its gonna be a huge colossal tidal wave. The biggest movie of the year discussion has never been easier, $135M OW to $650M+ DOM and $2.3B+ WW  

Jurassic World 4 should do over a Billion also. Dominion was terrible and still did it. If they at least get back to World 1 quality or better than no way it  misses. People love dinosaurs. 

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Jurassic World 4 should do over a Billion also. Dominion was terrible and still did it. If they at least get back to World 1 quality or better than no way it  misses. People love dinosaurs. 

I guess that and Michael can round out the top 5 at $900M-1B apiece 

Edited by Relevation

Minecraft seems like to me like another Detective Pikachu where it could be huge based on the IP but misses the mark of what people want from an adaptation. 

Admittedly I did really enjoy DP and I'm not a Minecraft fan a bit too old (in my teens) by the time it came out in 2008 or whenever it was. 

• Like 1

It is interesting (as far as Pixar sequels go) to have I2, TS4, and now IO2 perform so well relative to pre-release expectations after MU and esp. FD served up whelming box office runs in their time.

Edited by Jiffy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

It is interesting (as far as Pixar sequels go) to have I2, TS4, and now IO2 perform so well relative to pre-release expectations after MU and esp. FD served up whelming box office runs in their time.

Dory disappointed in regards to OS run. But domestic was great. Almost 500m back in 2016 was not a joke. it was the highest grossing animation at that time. 

• Like 9

It will win domestic this year for sure maybe joker 2 Can win os since thé first one did 1 billion without china and with Gaga it Can go higher Also apparently thé views were higher than barbie 

Even Incredibles 2 OS run was not spectacular. It was just OK. But domestic was spectacular. Crushing OW record for animation and finishing above 600m domestic which is still the record( at least until Inside Out 2 takes the record). OS barely did more than domestic and I thought it will blow up big in Asia which it did not. 

1 hour ago, Ryan C said:

I know we're too early in a position to say this, but could Inside Out 2 challenge Barbie's $636M domestic gross?

Maybe but I wouldn’t put money on it yet, gotta see how big of a bite DM4 takes out of it