cannastop

Weekday Thread June 24-27. Inside Out 2 $11.2m, Bad Boys $1.6m Thursday

So, I went to a kids summer movie at Cinemark yesterday.

You never saw such a drop from summer to summer ever, and from Jan to June (my last in person movie).  The place was dead - I now see why it has booked Inside Out on 4 screens still for this weekend.  No one is going to anything else, so it's gonna try to milk the one movie folks want to see.

Heck, even the $1.75 movie (Shrek) wasn't close to being a sell out.  And they had moved the ticket taker to the front door vs having 2 for the 2 sides of the theater b/c it was so dead.  And apparently, I walked right by him and no one stopped me til I asked the popcorn employee who was supposed to check tickets, so I guess it's good I'm honest and apparently, it's been so dead this summer, no one cares about much at the theater...

Anecdotal state of one theater - I have summer movie tickets for next Wed, DM4's open, so hopefully, there's some more life that day...

PS - The boys loved Shrek...and it still holds up as an amazing parody of the Disney princess movie concept, especially the ending (I'd forgotten how abrupt it was, but it was a send up of how Disney's prince never got to "win easy" against the villain)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

With summer weekdays, Bad Boys 4 should beat BB3. Not what many people were expecting even after release.

But there was one weekend where BB3 drop just 4% at $11m, that is very high bar to clear for BB4 in its 5th weekend. BB4 only has summer mid-week to help.  

42 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

$3.86M Kalki Previews 

Can you clarify -- is Kalki's opening day today (June 27), and the 3.86 M are all for Wednesday preview earnings? Thanks!

The Wed & Thurs earnings will not count toward Opening Weekend domestic earnings, correct? 

I had originally read that Kalki's opening date was June 26, but I see that BOM has its Opening Day as June 27. (On the Flixster ticket app, I see its Opening Date is still listed as June 26.) Around me, Kalki is doing a full day of showings are in my area theaters today, starting at 11 am.

Edited by Jerri Blank-Diggler

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

With summer weekdays, Bad Boys 4 should beat BB3. Not what many people were expecting even after release.

Some people still think it won't cross $200M

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

But there was one weekend where BB3 drop just 4% at $11m, that is very high bar to clear for BB4 in its 5th weekend. BB4 only has summer mid-week to help.  

That was Valentine's day weekend for BBFL and that same weekend falls on 4th weekend for BB4. So hopefully it has a decent hold.

BBFL ended at $204M (per the-numbers, BOM has it at $206M for some reason) and it could have a grossed a million or two more if theaters hadn't closed because of COVID, so hopefully BB4 will be able to pass $200M as well.

21 minutes ago, Jerri Blank-Diggler said:

Can you clarify -- is Kalki's opening day today (June 27), and the 3.86 M are all for Wednesday preview earnings? Thanks!

The Wed & Thurs earnings will not count toward Opening Weekend domestic earnings, correct? 

I had originally read that Kalki's opening date was June 26, but I see that BOM has its Opening Day as June 27. (On the Flixster ticket app, I see its Opening Date is still listed as June 26.) Around me, Kalki is doing a full day of showings are in my area theaters today, starting at 11 am.

Yeah it opens fully on Thursday not on Wednesday 

I think it's called Wednesday Premieres not Wednesday Previews 

• Thanks 1