kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 28-30, 2024] | Actuals | 57.52M INSIDE OUT II | 52.20M AQP: DAY ONE | 11.05M HORIZON: AAS - CHAPTER 1

23m puts it basically at Indy 5's first OD too (was looking for recent late June performers). That did 60.3m. But I think this will be a bit more frontloaded so taking Jurassic World 3 as another comparison.

Rough idea of the weekend for Quiet Place:

Fri: 23m

Sat: 18m (-21%)

Sun: 15m (-17%)

Maybe around a 57m OW?

Just now, BoxOfficeZ said:

23m puts it basically at Indy 5's first OD too (was looking for recent late June performers). That did 60.3m. But I think this will be a bit more frontloaded so taking Jurassic World 3 as another comparison.

Rough idea of the weekend for Quiet Place:

Fri: 23m

Sat: 18m (-21%)

Sun: 15m (-17%)

Maybe around a 57m OW?

Matching DoD's OW while having a fifth of the budget is hilarious

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Can’t see how this can get only 51M with 23M THU / FRI. 

Even 54 seems kinda conservative, even if more reasonable. 

It can still try 58-60M imo if everything goes right 

I think when we get the Cinemascore in about an hour or two, we'll have a better idea if this will be in the low or high 50s. 

I'm already getting flashbacks to a few weeks ago when Bad Boys: Ride or Die was looking to just barely hit $50M, but kept going up in numbers to hit $56.5M. Hopefully that happens again with Day One, especially with the opening day being slightly higher. 

Personally though, I'm just glad it's at least going to be in the $50M range and that Deadline was just lowballing. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I think when we get the Cinemascore in about an hour or two, we'll have a better idea if this will be in the low or high 50s. 

I'm already getting flashbacks to a few weeks ago when Bad Boys: Ride or Die was looking to just barely hit $50M, but kept going up in numbers to hit $56.5M. Hopefully that happens again with Day One, especially with the opening day being slightly higher. 

Personally though, I'm just glad it's at least going to be in the $50M range and that Deadline was just lowballing. 

Usually we can’t see CS effect during OW. But yeah i’m kinda nervous about it, hoping for a B at least and that it’ll follow a similar path of the new Apes movie

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Can’t see how this can get only 51M with 23M THU / FRI. 

Even 54 seems kinda conservative, even if more reasonable. 

It can still try 58-60M imo if everything goes right 

Yeah it would really have to crash on saturday and sunday to only do 51. 

• Like 2

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Usually we can’t see CS effect during OW. But yeah i’m kinda nervous about it, hoping for a B at least and that it’ll follow a similar path of the new Apes movie

Yeah, I hope so as well. 

Bad Boys: Ride or Die had amazing word-of-mouth, so I'm tempted to compare Day One to that film, but both are opening insanely close to each other with nearly identical opening days, which is why I'm doing so. 

If this manages to go higher than $55M, then the Cinemascore probably won't be as much of a factor in why this didn't go higher. 

Also, I really hope that since it looks like Deadline was lowballing on AQP: DO, that they were also lowballing on Inside Out 2, Bad Boys 4, and even Horizon and their outlook for the weekend. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Ngl, I find Nyongo’s career to be dissapointing. Like 75% of her movies are Disney films lol. Thought she would’ve starred in more interesting stuff since 12 Years a Slave (only exception being Us)

Her immediate follow up to 12 Years A Slave being Non-Stop should have been the sign.

• Sad 1

Oh what a gorgeous movie Day One is, very pleased with this. Easily better than Part 2 imo.

Didn’t think it lacks action tbh, it’s just weightless most of the time, Sarnoski clearly didn’t care that much about it, but still well made. The drama tho is very touching and soulful, this have at least 3 sequences that is genuinely moving for me in it’s meditation about death and connection.

Hollywood really should support Lupita more, she’s exceptional in this, very raw and honest acting. Really hoping this success with her leading can give her more good opportunities.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Her immediate follow up to 12 Years A Slave being Non-Stop should have been the sign.

While there are other factors in this, including personal choices like doing blockbusters to be financially safe, i do remember that she complained about lack of good scrips and roles offered to her even after she won the Oscar. Viola talked about similar issues which is why she’s decided to produce.

If I’m remembering right, during US press tour Lupita said that was one of the first good roles she was invited to do in years and that she prefers to not work than accept bad roles if she’s not well paid. 

I think is a fair pov to deal with racism, even if she ended up with a frustrating filmography indeed. Hopefully this can change now that she’s leading a big success.

• Like 1

I don't want to come across as upset that a movie in its third weekend could only be making $55M compared to $60M+, but now I'm starting to question if losing those PLFs to A Quiet Place: Day One really affected Inside Out 2's hold this weekend. 

Also, if it does end up at $55M by Sunday, I feel like getting to $650M domestically from there would be a lot more of a stretch. At that point, it would just barely be ahead of Barbie's pace at the same time and though I don't think Despicable Me 4 will hurt it that much next weekend, if IO2 can take a sizable hit from losing the majority of its PLFs, then I imagine how much of a hit it can possibly take from literal direct competition.