kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

We'll see how much those Early Access shows inflated the numbers, but hard not to be impressed with such a strong showing out the gate.

2.5 from EA apparently 

2 minutes ago, mikeymichael said:

A lot of canceled flights today means a lot of frustrated people staying home looking for something else to do instead... 80 million in sight??

I bet the industry is very relieved right now that they don't run on Crowdstrike

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Very conflicting feelings re Twisters. Great that it seems to be overperforming expectations domestically but it's doing awful everywhere else. I guess it's a good thing the budget apparently wasn't as big as was previously reported.

It's definitely an interesting and a bit unexpected development. Disaster movies have generally been strong overseas performers. Yes, this has an American centric element to it, but that hasn't been an issue in the past when disaster movies were hot.

If this does really well domestically and poor internationally, I'm not sure what the studio takeaway should be.

Is this a case where the building up of Glen Powell as a star hasn't really worked beyond the American border. Is it a case where disaster films that throw in a more global cast actually makes a much bigger difference than may be estimated in these disaster/monster type movies.

If this makes $200M domestic though, I imagine it's going to trigger studios to try more in the genre, and see what they can do to try and augment the international interest. 

• Like 1

Ok, now I think $70M is more likely. Cannot wait for that Deadline Midday Update. 

Also, and this is just for funsies. The original Twister opened to about $83M adjusted for inflation. If Twisters keeps going up, it's gonna get pretty close to that number. Amazing!

21 showtimes the rest of the day at the theater I'm tracking and only two late night ones don't have a sale yet. Definitely not looking like it's slowing down at all. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

I'm happy for the film but it is wild to see so much of the success of this being accredited to Powell and not the IP.

Yes hes great in it (Daisy is even better), yes his agent has done him hella wonders and he oozes charisma, but the success of this OW is coming from a beloved property. Not saying the two have to be mutually exclusive but Powell is not carrying this lol.

Stan of Legend Powell but I doubt the average person is seeing this for him or any of the other actors tbh. The twisters were always the #1 draw here.

If its overseas total wasn't looking to be a relative nothingburger I'd say this might open the door for a resurgence of professionally made/non-trashy disaster movies.

• Like 2

Had a feeling this could have been a smaller-scale TGM, but I chickened out last week and just thought it would get to Indy/NTTD numbers. It’s only a step above granted, but I still feel vindicated in my initial confidence

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Stan of Legend Powell but I doubt the average person is seeing this for him or any of the other actors tbh. The twisters were always the #1 draw here.

If its overseas total wasn't looking to be a relative nothingburger I'd say this might open the door for a resurgence of professionally made/non-trashy disaster movies.

It still might, they just might aim for cheaper budgets and/or more of London, Paris and New York getting jacked up

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

It still might, they just might aim for cheaper budgets and/or more of London, Paris and New York getting jacked up

So basically, stuff like Geostorm lol.