kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

The “people want originals” based on 2023 slate was always funny, in it’s core Barbie is no different than a Marvel movie.

The fact that Hasbro decided to announce 14 projects after it’s success make it very clear.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Would that mean 80M to 90M OW DOM? You're saying that includes previews, right?

Would probably need to do around $35m to put $80M in play

Twisters blowing up fits well into the blow-up success of Barbie, Mario, Inside Out, Wonka: they're all properties that people recognize and love, but they haven't been completely milked to death (in the realm of theatrical cinema, anyway). They're hardly original, but it's not the umpteenth entry in a series that is running long in the tooth. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vafrow said:

It's definitely an interesting and a bit unexpected development. Disaster movies have generally been strong overseas performers. Yes, this has an American centric element to it, but that hasn't been an issue in the past when disaster movies were hot.

If this does really well domestically and poor internationally, I'm not sure what the studio takeaway should be.

Is this a case where the building up of Glen Powell as a star hasn't really worked beyond the American border. Is it a case where disaster films that throw in a more global cast actually makes a much bigger difference than may be estimated in these disaster/monster type movies.

If this makes $200M domestic though, I imagine it's going to trigger studios to try more in the genre, and see what they can do to try and augment the international interest. 

I don't think a more global cast will have a bigger effect on international audience.

If this movies makes poor internationally, it's likely due to lack of interest on the theme.

I'm kind of curious how they work out the break even and profits for Twisters since there's more than one studio involved. The overperformance in the US is great for Universal but I assume WB isn't losing out either. At $77.5m per studio, it's a fairly low risk venture for all involved. 

IIRC Warner Bros wasn't involved in Twisters creatively, Universal were the ones who developed it originally. 

Edited by Jonwo

• Founder / Operator
28 minutes ago, Eric Twister said:

Pwease give us Fwiday numbers

🥺

👉  👈    

Studio source has 31 Fri (includes previews) and 72 wknd.

Fair chance it goes higher, IMO, but not sure if they are baking in walkups or not.

• Like 15

Anyone waiting for Deadline's lowball to be like $62M+ for the entire weekend? 

At this point, $70M+ has just gotta happen if that $31M Friday/previews number is accurate. 

I can't believe what I said last night might actually happen. Clearly for middle America, this is their Inside Out 2.

This is the kind of film that many of us Midwestern grow ups see all over. By the weekend my extended family alone will have contributed over 20 tickets in 4 states (only 2 in Tornado areas.) And this was unplanned until yesterday 🤷‍♂️🤣

• Like 1

Well damn… 70m for Twisters is amazing. For July we might have 3 200m grossers (Deadpool and Wolverine, Despicable Me 4, and Twisters) which is just insane. For 2023 we only had 2 in the month of July (Barbie and Oppenheimer). Combine that with Inside Out 2 at 150m+ and A Quiet Place: Day One at 100m+. 

Speaking of Inside Out 2, Deadline projecting an 11m weekend (-44%) is so bizarre. What reason would it have to drop that harsh this late in its run? Classic Deadline. I think 13-15m is more likely. 

Edited by AnthonyJPHer