kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

Chris Pratt non franchise movies went to streaming. Glen Powell already had success with Anyone but You. And his career is more diverse: action, rom com, etc. Also, the potential for Powell is bigger.

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

After Top Gun Maverick and Twisters are there any other potential sequels that appeals to rural areas?

Field of Dreams, if you can come up with a concept.

A Few Good Men, if you can come up with a concept.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

After Top Gun Maverick and Twisters are there any other potential sequels that appeals to rural areas?

Passion of the Christ sequel next year is gonna be MASSIVE (could be bigger than Deadpool 3 tbh and take the DOM R-rated crown the first film will lose this year)

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Rewatched the original Twister yesterday and remembered it was co written by Michael Crichton and produced by Steven Spielberg. It was kind of a follow up to Jurassic Park 

Edited by John Marston

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Passion of the Christ sequel next year is gonna be MASSIVE (could be bigger than Deadpool 3 tbh and take the DOM R-rated crown the first film will lose this year)

True - that will be huge.

It may win the year DOM - what's its release date (I'm assuming spring/Easter time frame)...

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

True - that will be huge.

It may win the year DOM - what's its release date (I'm assuming spring/Easter time frame)...

Same time Michael releases. But let’s be honest I don’t really think it’ll win DOM. Unless it preforms like Top Gun Maverick, Avatar 3 probably wins the title. 

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

Godzilla X Kong feels like it should be more fanboy driven than something like Twisters

its a much better movie than GxK too, so word of mouth you’d think will count for it doing what that film couldn’t as far as passing $200 million goes. 

6 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Same time Michael releases. But let’s be honest I don’t really think it’ll win DOM. Unless it preforms like Top Gun Maverick, Avatar 3 probably wins the title. 

According to Numbers.com, Passion's' Box Office would be the equivalent of $643M.  If that's doable again, I think Avatar 3 will have a tough time beating it...

Now, I don't know it gets that high, but $500M could still win the year if the movie delivers everything that the money-is-no-object-for-this-movie folks want...and I think that's possible,,,

27 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I am skeptical. I think it will do well, but I am not sure lightning strikes with this one.

The market for Christian films is big, but not that big. The original grabbed a big part of the general audience as a large prestige film from a prestige actor. A lot of that shine has come off over the years and I don't see general audiences come out again, and I don't think it comes close to a billion on just the Evangelical Christian audience.

2 hours ago, Grand Cine said:

Yes , very good projection @Shawn Robbins. Congratulations. I admit i didn't agree with it.

Actually I am quite curious, how did the trades know about this way before tracking show any sign of surging? The trades have been nailing some notable tracking this year. They called correctly for KFP4, BBRD and Apes, and was not that crazy for IF, way ahead of any tracking.

Quorum did seem to be relatively bullish on Twisters. Think a lot of people erroneously made the assumption that suburban white walkup / late presale driven blockbusters didn't exist anymore just because there hadn't been any notable ones in the last six months.

Edited by AniNate

45 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Field of Dreams, if you can come up with a concept.

A Few Good Men, if you can come up with a concept.

A Few Good Men is low key conservative where they root for Jack Nicholson's character even though they're not supposed to. 😆

53 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Chris Pratt non franchise movies went to streaming. Glen Powell already had success with Anyone but You. And his career is more diverse: action, rom com, etc. Also, the potential for Powell is bigger.

Tomorrow War was slated for a wide theatrical release which was derailed by the pandemic. 

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually I am quite curious, how did the trades know about this way before tracking show any sign of surging? The trades have been nailing some notable tracking this year. They called correctly for KFP4, BBRD and Apes, and was not that crazy for IF, way ahead of any tracking.

Movio's behind the numbers podcast said their tracking was looking more like 70-80 million at the start of this week which I think was higher than other tracking. I haven't been following the tracking closely enough to position it but that stood out on a listen.

38 minutes ago, Wafflecakes said:

I am skeptical. I think it will do well, but I am not sure lightning strikes with this one.

The market for Christian films is big, but not that big. The original grabbed a big part of the general audience as a large prestige film from a prestige actor. A lot of that shine has come off over the years and I don't see general audiences come out again, and I don't think it comes close to a billion on just the Evangelical Christian audience.

Passion is a Catholic movie.

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

According to Numbers.com, Passion's' Box Office would be the equivalent of $643M.  If that's doable again, I think Avatar 3 will have a tough time beating it...

Now, I don't know it gets that high, but $500M could still win the year if the movie delivers everything that the money-is-no-object-for-this-movie folks want...and I think that's possible,,,

But that assumes that Avatar 3 drops from Avatar 2’s 684m

Edited by AnthonyJPHer

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yes, it does...which most #3 movies do...although not all...

I think that assumes too much honestly. I could see it increasing tbh. Especially considering there is little to no competition for Avatar 3 and there is immediate competition for Passion 2 in the Michael Jackson biopic