Eric the Marxist

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

Twisters is another case it is almost impossible to counterprogram a mega-giant. Barbieheimer works well only because they were sold as double feature, and they are so different in style, parental rating, PLF heavy vs standard heavy and gender divide.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

That twisters drop has got to be one of the worse Thursday drops I’ve ever seen

It had really good Tues and Wed #s though. Just a 21% drop off a 37% jump. That soft drop on Wed probably indicated people were seeing it on PLFs and larger screens before it lost them which lead to the bigger than expected Thur drop. (at least for me - I thought around 28%.) Does anyone have it's PLF % from last w/e. 

27 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

If it does get A+

IO2 Domestic crown will be in trouble :rofl:

Oh I think domesstic crown is safe by at least $100M regardless of cinemascore, or maybe not, maybe Moana 2 will have something to say about it.

• Like 2

I'd wait to see how Twisters holds next weekend when the storm will have passed and the openers won't be anywhere nearly as threatening (though Trap looks like it's going to open well at least). Keep in mind it did wildly overperform last weekend so it might be coming back down to Earth a bit.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

If it does get A+

IO2 Domestic crown will be in trouble :rofl:

The only way for Deadpool and Wolverine to beat Inside Out 2 domestically is to open to at least $210M and hold as well as either Jurassic World or the first Avengers. 

Maybe there's a really slim chance that happens, but I think Inside Out 2 is most likely safe for now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Imagine Twisters releasing in May to start off the Summer.

Atleast we would be spared countless "Theaters are dead" "Cinema is done" tweets & articles.

Yeah, but they probably would've started spreading once Furiosa bombed on Memorial Day weekend. 

You know what, I wouldn't be surprised if there are still people out there who believe that "Cinema is done" especially now with a Marvel movie opening to potentially over $200M. 

Just now, fabiopazzo2 said:

but what will disney do when they see these takings of a rated R movie?

did you find out that they make money like this too, Mickey Mouse?

I think they saw money made by Deadpool movies, that's why they allowed this one too be Rated R.

Disney - so you're saying, we should allow Deadpool to be Rated R, Why

Kevin - Shows Deadpool & Deadpool 2 Box Office 

Disney - Ok done

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ryan C said:

Yeah, but they probably would've started spreading once Furiosa bombed on Memorial Day weekend. 

You know what, I wouldn't be surprised if there are still people out there who believe that "Cinema is done" especially now with a Marvel movie opening to potentially over $200M. 

It's kinda funny, they started with Fall Guy and then went to fever pitch during Furiousa, only for Box Office to strike back after that.

7 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Well, not 2024 but Zootopia 2 can crack $600M

Doubtful but OK... 

In any case Zootopia is like my favourite WDAS output in the past 20+ years. 

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Doubtful but OK... 

In any case Zootopia is like my favourite WDAS output in the past 20+ years. 

Zootopia and Inside Out 1 grossed the same-ish domestically, if Inside Out 2 can do $650M+ then Zootopia 2 can do $600M+

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1

Just now, THUNDER BIRD said:

It's kinda funny, they started with Fall Guy and then went to fever pitch during Furiousa, only for Box Office to strike back after that.

Thing is, I kind of understood it with The Fall Guy. It was the type of movie that people say they want, but didn't show up and it not doing well  can definitely feed into the whole "cinema is dead" narrative. 

If you take out the fact that Furiosa contributed to the lowest Memorial Day weekend in almost 30 years, I don't really see how it would fit into that narrative. As much as we all wanted it to do well, it was just a movie that no one wanted to see. 

Thank God the narrative around the box office has changed though. Couldn't be happier. 

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

@Joyous Legion

Can the "every 200 opener has made 600 dom" rule still last after this?

I mean we could parlay like 220 into just scraping 600 but I would guess will be more 205-215 into 550-600

If it beats Jurassic World that will be biggest Summer OW and give MCU all 4 seasons with AEG, DPW, BP2, NWH  

Spoiler

Though aeg is a bit messy for BO seasons 

• Like 1