kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers [Jul 29 - Aug 01, 2024] | Wednesday | 18.05M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 3.89M TWISTERS | 2.39M DESPICABLE ME IV | 1.37M INSIDE OUT II

2 minutes ago, Eric Wilson said:

Look, even if Moana 2 is bad, and I am frankly more confident on it than most are, at least quality-wise, BvS legs for an animated movie is simply unheard of. Let alone for a movie that will have both Thanksgiving and Christmas to help support it. I just think getting to 600M is a ludicrous leap, and I hope we aren't fooling ourselves into thinking a more modest jump of 360M or something is a bad gross.

I agree its not like there is a massive, harcore Moana-fanbase that would lead to frontloading like with superhero movies (in regards to the BvS example). Moana 2's audience, like with all animated movies, will be familys and that demo rewards even animated movies that are bad/ignored (like Wish) with relatively good legs.

4 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Daredevil?

It’s good, but it feels like it gets a little edgy at points. Ditto with Logan, which I found great but a bit too edgy at points. Actually think Jessica Jones is another good example of something not feeling like it’s trying too hard to seem “grown up”, and feel like it handled most of its themes with a pretty delicate touch (granted i only saw the first season)

Don't understand the desperation of some parents really needing something for their kids to watch over the holidays. Animated movies with strong IPs dominate as shown with IO2 and DM4.

I really want Moana 2 to be great, but as long as the marketing makes Moana cool and pretty, and Maui funny it's going to have a huge opening. Legs will depend on WOM.

Keep those merchandise profits rolling in, Disney.

26 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Lightyear had a 2.34x multiplier. Not BVS/MoM levels but still terrible legs. 

Lightyear was rushed to Disney+, this will have 100 days of theatrical window, complete opposite circumstances. Lightyear also had much bigger competition with JWD and Minions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Train said:

Lightyear was rushed to Disney+, this will have 100 days of theatrical window, complete opposite circumstances. Lightyear also had much bigger competition with JWD and Minions.

Lightyear was also the most "Who askes for this?"-Pixar movie ever and Moana 2 after all is a very anticipated sequel.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Lightyear had a 2.34x multiplier. Not BVS/MoM levels but still terrible legs. 

That's horrible comparison. I'm not even gonna elaborate as to why because it's so obvious... If you've watched Lightyear. 

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Lightyear was also the most "Who askes for this?"-Pixar movie ever and Moana 2 after all is a very anticipated sequel.

Interstellar but for little kids was basically the worst idea they could come up with for a Toy Stoy spin off.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

So is $600M dead or. . .?

You can't overreact one way or another when it comes to the first week. Numbers are going to fluctuate, one day they're going to be super high and then you get a Wednesday which is typically a weak day, and they're going to be a bit lower than people are hoping. Doesn't mean it's going to finish at 500 million, it doesn't mean it's going to hit 700 million. We'll get past this weekend and then we'll see you when the legs kick in. 

No 600 is not dead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, baumer said:

You can't overreact one way or another when it comes to the first week. Numbers are going to fluctuate, one day they're going to be super high and then you get a Wednesday which is typically a weekday, and they're going to be a bit lower than people are hoping. Doesn't mean it's going to finish at 500 million, it doesn't mean it's good it's just 700 million. We'll get past this weekend and then we'll see you when the legs kick in. 

No 600 is not dead.

Good, that's what I wanted to hear. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

That's horrible comparison. I'm not even gonna elaborate as to why because it's so obvious... If you've watched Lightyear. 

To be fair, based on the numbers basically nobody has seen it.

• Haha 1

Just now, wattage said:

To be fair, based on the numbers basically nobody has seen it.

I saw it in theaters myself. Was actually taken aback at first why everybody hated it, because I loved how dynamite and thrilling and inventive the first act was...then we got to act two, and it all made sense. When your big joke is "a sandwich with meat on the top and bread in the middle whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa", I gotta wonder how much time they actually had with this stupid movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Lightyear is the only G/PG animated movie I could find to have absolutely nothing like normal kids movie legs. It was a really weird run that I don't think any of these factors explain. It's the equivalent of a significantly sub x2 multiple. I just don't see how Moana 2 will work as a comp even if it's boring. It's just a 0th percentile outcome.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

5 minutes ago, Eric Wilson said:

I saw it in theaters myself. Was actually taken aback at first why everybody hated it, because I loved how dynamite and thrilling and inventive the first act was...then we got to act two, and it all made sense. When your big joke is "a sandwich with meat on the top and bread in the middle whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa", I gotta wonder how much time they actually had with this stupid movie.

Everything about that movie existence is bizarre to me, capped off by that getting a theatrical release and Turning Red inexplicably bring sent to Disney+ for free within months of each other. I wish i couldve been a fly on the wall during that entire process.