kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

I was quite disappointed with Deadpool & Wolverine when I saw it this afternoon, but I'm happy to get a big box office run to track. In a box office landscape where so many things aren't hitting and big openers are increasingly collapsing in their second weekends, a second frame near $100 million feels like a huge win.

• Like 3

Deadpool & Wolverine box office run is performing similar to Jurassic World

D&W day 8 - $326,875,919 ($28,300,000 on 2nd Friday)

Jurassic World day 8 - $325,326,090 ($29,114,435 on second Friday)

Edited by Migs20242
  • Astonished 2

It looks like Deadpool and Wolverine will be joining that small and very recent list of movies that hit the cultural zeitgeist so well that it led to a domestic gross higher than $500M

1. Spider-Man: No Way Home

2. Top Gun: Maverick

3. Avatar: The Way of Water

4. The Super Mario Bros. Movie

5. Barbie

6. Inside Out 2

7. Deadpool and Wolverine

Personally, once a movie gets past that milestone, it really does point towards it not just being something that a lot of people wanted to see, but a legitmate phenomenon that got all kinds of people from different demographics and appealed to multiple people of all age groups. 

If you would've told me this in 2020 or even in 2021, I would've laughed in your face, but to have seven films do this well and less within a three year span of each other is just absolutely insane. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I was going to post this before we saw the big update, but might as well do it now. 

Since this'll become relevant in the next week or so, here are the Top 10 Highest-Grossing R-Rated Films Domestically and Adjusted For Inflation (from 1969-2024 and with average 2023 ticket price). This comes from Indiewire who put this together last week right when Deadpool and Wolverine opened. 

1. The Exorcist - $1.194B

2. The Godfather - $852M

3. Beverly Hills Cop - $725M

4. Blazing Saddles - $679M

5. National Lampoon's Animal House - $647M

6. The Passion of the Christ - $644M

7. The Rocky Horror Picture Show - $595M

8. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - $579M

9. M*A*S*H - $578M

10. Terminator 2: Judgment Day - $526M

Feel free to leave your thoughts on where you think Deadpool and Wolverine will end up, but now I am pretty confident that it will enter this Top 10 and could get as high as #5

One movie from the 2000's. One movie from the 90's. One movie from the 80's.

The rest are from the 70's. :sparta:

57 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

When @Brainbug denies that Inside Out 2 and Deadpool & Wolverine is passing Jurassic World

jurassic-world-claire-dearing.gif

YOU DONT UNDERSTAND DEADPOOL AND INSIDE OUT WILL REACH 640-651M BUT AFTER THAT THERES NO MORE DEMAND FOR THEM THEIR RUNS WILL STOP

• Like 2
  • Haha 12
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

It looks like Deadpool and Wolverine will be joining that small and very recent list of movies that hit the cultural zeitgeist so well that it led to a domestic gross higher than $500M

1. Spider-Man: No Way Home

2. Top Gun: Maverick

3. Avatar: The Way of Water

4. The Super Mario Bros. Movie

5. Barbie

6. Inside Out 2

7. Deadpool and Wolverine

Personally, once a movie gets past that milestone, it really does point towards it not just being something that a lot of people wanted to see, but a legitmate phenomenon that got all kinds of people from different demographics and appealed to multiple people of all age groups. 

If you would've told me this in 2020 or even in 2021, I would've laughed in your face, but to have seven films do this well and less within a three year span of each other is just absolutely insane. 

Only 57% of the list is Disney.

They're slipping. :P

26 minutes ago, Migs20242 said:

Deadpool & Wolverine box office run is performing similar to Jurassic World

D&W day 8 - $326,875,919 ($28,300,000 on 2nd Friday)

Jurassic World day 8 - $325,326,090 ($29,114,435 on second Friday)

Hmm JW would get a nice 4th of July holiday bump only 3 weeks after OD.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Hmm JW would get a nice 4th of July holiday bump only 3 weeks after OD.

Yes, JW's advantage in comparison to Deadpool is that it enjoyed July summer weekdays in its later weeks, while D&W will have late August and then September, so id expect it to trail JW's weekday grosses relatively soon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Bye Bye Bye going viral and RDJ news helping fuel legs I think

whoever is in charge of NSYNC videos on youtube likes retitling them based on where the song has been used recently. Right now it says "as seen in Deadpool and Wolverine" for that video.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

whoever is in charge of NSYNC videos on youtube likes retitling them based on where the song has been used recently. Right now it says "as seen in Deadpool and Wolverine" for that video.

Actually it says ‘(Official Video from Deadpool and Wolverine)’, they are fully leaning into it.

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Only the Brave 

Moving, effective movie with a bunch of names which somehow came and went without anybody giving a shit. 

• Like 1

Everything is getting compared to Jurassic World, that's the Aura.

You can beat the gross but you'll never beat the Aura..... Just check the number of pages for its weekend thread, not even Endgame could outdo that.

• Like 5

Next weekend I think will really tell us whether Deadpool and Wolverine will either match or exceed Inside Out 2 domestically. 

I remember all of us expecting Inside Out 2 in its third weekend to gross around $60M or so. It ended up not happening mainly because of A Quiet Place: Day One taking away of all its PLFS, which made it fell to a still fantastic $57.5M. However, that definitely is partly why Inside Out 2 didn't hit the crazy $700M projections that we threw out after that jaw-dropping second weekend hold. 

Since Deadpool and Wolverine is clearly not frontloaded in the way that a traditional MCU movie is, I expect its third weekend hold to be pretty solid and it should keep it in the $50M-$55M range. Though it will lose some PLFs to Borderlands, it'll still retain a decent portion of them (at least from what I can tell) and since Borderlands is looking like the inevitable disaster that we all thought it would be based on the first trailer, I don't expect it to impact the demand to see D&W on those screens. 

From there, it should keep pace with Inside Out 2 for the rest of its run (reception is about as strong for both) and we'll see an exciting race for the top film of 2024 domestically. 

Pixar vs Marvel everyone! Whoever comes out on top, Disney still wins. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Ryan C said:

Next weekend I think will really tell us whether Deadpool and Wolverine will either match or exceed Inside Out 2 domestically. 

I remember all of us expecting Inside Out 2 in its third weekend to gross around $60M or so. It ended up not happening mainly because of A Quiet Place: Day One taking away of all its PLFS, which made it fell to a still fantastic $57.5M. However, that definitely is partly why Inside Out 2 didn't hit the crazy $700M projections that we threw out after that jaw-dropping second weekend hold. 

Since Deadpool and Wolverine is clearly not frontloaded in the way that a traditional MCU movie is, I expect its third weekend hold to be pretty solid and it should keep it in the $50M-$55M range. Though it will lose some PLFs to Borderlands, it'll still retain a decent portion of them (at least from what I can tell) and since Borderlands is looking like the inevitable disaster that we all thought it would be based on the first trailer, I don't expect them to impact the demand to see D&W on those screens. 

From there, it should keep pace with Inside Out 2 for the rest of its run (reception is about as strong for both) and we'll see an exciting race for the top film of 2024 domestically. 

Pixar vs Marvel everyone! Whoever comes out on top, Disney still wins. 

You love to see it.