kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

10 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I can’t even imagine a horror film making $1B WW in 2024. $1B DOM is just insane. 

The country was much, much more religious back then. 

That said, there is still value in that IP and the recent Exorcist effort was pathetic attempt to realize it.

32 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Massive flop! Harold should have just been dumped on streaming like Netflix from the start instead of going to theaters. Sony would have lost MUCH less money!

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Massive flop! Harold should have just been dumped on streaming like Netflix from the start instead of going to theaters. Sony would have lost MUCH less money!

It looks bad, but given the long stretches we've had of no kids content in theatres at points, I'm happier there's an options for families that have already seen Despicable Me and Inside Out, and wanted another trip to the theatre before schools start up again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vafrow said:

It looks bad, but given the long stretches we've had of no kids content in theatres at points, I'm happier there's an options for families that have already seen Despicable Me and Inside Out, and wanted another trip to the theatre before schools start up again.

Evidently most families still preferred to watch Inside Out / Despicable Me again.

I think Transformers would've been better off releasing this weekend and bullying Harold out, especially given they were apparently confident enough in it already to show it off at SDCC.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I know a lot of people are saying that this shouldn't have gone to theaters and that Sony would've saved more money if they just put it up on Netflix, but I'm honestly glad this is in theaters. 

Beyond the fact that family films like this aren't in the marketplace that much anymore, it's still money for theaters that they need. $6M may barely be much of anything, but theaters will gladly take it. They wouldn't get any of that couple extra million dollars if this went to Netflix or whatever. 

I'm sure the movie is bad, but this is still adding some depth to the box office no matter how small the gross is. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I know a lot of people are saying that this shouldn't have gone to theaters and that Sony would've saved more money if they just put it up on Netflix, but I'm honestly glad this is in theaters. 

Beyond the fact that family films like this aren't in the marketplace that much anymore, it's still money for theaters that they need. $6M may barely be much of anything, but theaters will gladly take it. They wouldn't get any of that couple extra million dollars if this went to Netflix or whatever. 

I'm sure the movie is bad, but this is still adding some depth to the box office no matter how small the gross is. 

Tbh I think theaters would've preferred to just keep Inside Out 2 in this situation. Maybe it's better off collectively if Harold releases later in August.