ViewerAnon

ALIEN: ROMULUS | Spoiler Discussion Thread | ***SPOILERS***

26 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

The timeline it's placed in was set up for certain call backs that's why it worked to me.   Also it wasn't like these were long scenes, It was little quick things and certain situations

I can understand how Rook an Andy could say the same things as Ash or Bishop. Fine. They are sinthetics with similar programming. What I don't get is why Andy would say the exact same line by Riply 37 years in the future. It was so cheap and unearned. What about people who will watch Aliens for the first time after Romulus? It would be so weird and meh.

Did you you enjoy Rain  getting in a spacesuit? It killed all the suspence for me cuz all I could think about at the momemt was another old movie, where it was better made with a monster in the same room just next to her. 

When does all the fan service stuff just be seen as lazy writing?  The more I think about this movie, the more it's like Halloween 2018.  Dialogue, shots, plot points are just copied from all the other films and mixed up in a bender. I thought Romulus like Halloween 2018 was fine.  But, nothing about it feels fresh or interesting.  Maybe, there's just no where to go with these type of movies when there's so many sequels.  You just have the hope the movie isnt shit and you can point at the screen and say I remember that. 

Leonardo Dicaprio Look GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

5 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Maybe, there's just no where to go with these type of movies when there's so many sequels. 

How about real Alien Isolation adaptation? But I guess that would be too expensive. Same goes with Dead Space. 

Edited by cinema pal
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

How about real Alien Isolation adaptation?

This. Good and obvious ideas is something Fox executives can't grasp since early 90s, that's why they choose the worst idea every time, underperform and do it again, and again.

1 hour ago, cinema pal said:

I can understand how Rook an Andy could say the same things as Ash or Bishop. Fine. They are sinthetics with similar programming. What I don't get is why Andy would say the exact same line by Riply 37 years in the future. It was so cheap and unearned. What about people who will watch Aliens for the first time after Romulus? It would be so weird and meh.

Did you you enjoy Rain  getting in a spacesuit? It killed all the suspence for me cuz all I could think about at the momemt was another old movie, where it was better made with a monster in the same room just next to her. 

I'll give you that one.  As soon as she put on the suit, I knew that was a specific call back to "Alien".   But again it was still a little thing.  Look, Fede wasn't trying reinvent the wheel here.  Just bring it back to the basics of what makes these films really interesting Sci-Fi Horror.   Also this technically wasn't "Ash" but Rook a different android but same model and program. 

But again obviously using Ian Holm likeness was homage to "Alien" too.  I'm not saying I don't understand the criticism, I'm saying in this situation I think they wanted to make Alien Fans happy and give them a cool entry, that's it.   This did that. If Fede wants to take even more risk in the sequel like "Prometheus" did then fine but I understand why they went with this approach.  I'm not surprised it's doing great at the box office.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

But again obviously using Ian Holm likeness was homage to "Alien" too. 

I actually don't mind it at all. It's set 20 years after events of the first film. Why not. It's the same as having Walter  who looks like David, but without a silly switcheroo

• Like 1

Saw it last night. Really enjoyed it and all the nods to previous movies didn’t bother me except maybe the “Get away from her you bitch” line. Seemed a bit out of place given that doesn’t happen for another 20+ years later lol. Not a deal breaker just a little odd. 

The one negative I have is the girl injecting herself with the black goo stuff. Maybe I need to watch again but in the moment I was thinking to myself, why? I don’t know, just seemed like a rash decision to make. Again, not a deal breaker. 

Also, I didn’t think the kills were as bloody and brutal as I thought they would be given who was directing. The chest bursting scene in this was actually kind of tame compared to the one in Alien. 

What I really liked was the overall look and feel of it. I liked seeing a little taste of what life is like in a colony for the workers living there. It SUCKS!! lol. 

While I’m not a fan of Prometheus(too much over explaining for me), I actually liked the use of the goo in this. The explanation Rook gives for what they were doing was cool and made sense for me. 

Rain and Andy were great characters and I’d really like to see more of them. 

Enjoyed it more than every movie after Aliens. I’ll give it a strong B+. 

On 8/19/2024 at 12:57 PM, baumer said:

Well I'm a huge aliens fan and a big alien fan and I loved all the callbacks to it. I thought to get away from her you bitch line was perfect. I love the bishop line about being a synthetic person. I loved the CGI in home I love the sets I didn't really care for the whole Prometheus angle at the end but by that point I was so in love with the movie that I really didn't care. 

And Callie was so badass and so likeable and she gave just enough of a Ripley vibe that in my opinion civil war got her noticed but this one's going to make her a star. 

This one's easily my favorite in the franchise after the first two. 

9/10

Agreed with everything here.

I loved the movie.

Thought it was the 3rd best in the series.

• Heart 1

Is there a solid source to explaine Bjorn/Navarro relationship? Something official? Wiki says they are boyfriend/girlfriend, fandom sites say she's his adoptive sister. They had one intimate moment and it wasn't a kiss

Edited by cinema pal

On 8/22/2024 at 6:12 PM, cinema pal said:

Is there a solid source to explaine Bjorn/Navarro relationship? Something official? Wiki says they are boyfriend/girlfriend, fandom sites say she's his adoptive sister. They had one intimate moment and it wasn't a kiss

Fede said that Bjorn is father of Kay child.

2 hours ago, 1Robert1 said:

Fede said that Bjorn is father of Kay child.

That I know. 

I want to know more about Navarro/Bjorn thing. When boys got in trouble in facehugger chamber, she was reluctant about opening the door. But they seemed to be in relationship. 

Also Tyler was the most boring character of them all, I needed something to stand out about him, but he just was there, nothingburger. I prefer annoying Bjorn

Edited by cinema pal

56 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

That I know. 

I want to know more about Navarro/Bjorn thing. When boys got in trouble in facehugger chamber, she was reluctant about opening the door. But they seemed to be in relationship. 

Also Tyler was the most boring character of them all, I needed something to stand out about him, but he just was there, nothingburger. I prefer annoying Bjorn

I think just before his death, bjorn touched Kay face or hair, and she tried to hold his hand, so i think their romance was still alive, multiple sites states that bjorn and navarro were adoptive siblings, why do you think they were couple? 

55 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

According to last link Bjorn was a human scavenger and cousin to Tyler Harrison and Kay Harrison, and Navarro's adoptive brother, later it states It has been hinted that Bjorn was in a relationship with Navarro, and there is link As our motley crew begin to prep the Corbelan for take-off, we learn that David Jonsson’s Andy and Cailee Spaeny’s Rain have never left the surface before while the others have. While we get a good look at the very retro and clunky looking design of the Corbelan’s interior, we learn that Navarro seems to be in a romantic relationship with another of the crew who I believe to have been Bjorn, played by Spike Fearn. 

During takeoff Bjorn asked Navarro something like you ok, or you cool i dont remember, and they hugged, you can hug your sibling...

Rest of this links doesnt give any explanation why authors think they were dating...

Bjorn impregnating his cousin and dating his adoptive sister would be just too weird for me.

2 hours ago, cinema pal said:

Well initially they were not cousins, Kay was pregnant with Bjorn's child, then the script was rewriten, but pregnancy remained 

i still dont know why people think Navarro and Bjorn were couple.

Surprisingly good. In fact, it's right up there with Alien and Aliens. I really enjoyed Prometheus, but this entry is even better.

The Final Destination-like situations and the scares the characters faced, the aliens, the setup in the first half hour, the special effects, and the science behind the various aspects of physics, gravity, and space in general—all were impressive. I really enjoyed Alien: Romulus. The lead actress is a bit bland (though she has a Jennifer Lawrence look going for her), some of the science was Hollywood-ish, and a few character decisions were questionable. Overall, though, it’s a solid addition to the Alien franchise. Definitely in the top 3.

I really liked this, and I understand the tweet mentioned in the first post of this thread. I didn't feel like it was a movie full of fan service until I've read the comments pointing them out. At first watch, what stood out to me were the new stuff the movie did with the concepts of the franchise. It showed things from a different angle, and creatively expanded that universe.