Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hey buddy, I just expressed an opinion about what I personally thought the movie would do where I admitted in the post that obviously I WAS WRONG. Jesus Christ. I don't lose my mind behind my keyboard at people who levy minor disagreements about franchises I don't like. I have posted my real name countless times, my social media, my website when I ran for fucking office. You don't get to attack me personally out of nowhere and say I don't have friends because I expressed my personal perspective on whatever franchise you're jerking off this week. I expressed my opinion based on what I see in my life - just like everyone on these fucking boards does. Maybe I'm wrong, PostTrak data says....we shall see. You're the one flipping out.

I didn’t said you don’t have friends, I said that you don’t know a lot of people — if you think that Alien isn’t a major franchise with Latino and POC people. That’s not a personal attack, I just asked you stop acting like Latinos and POC didn’t enjoy the Alien franchise because it did rub me the wrong way, I think it’s tone deaf to double down on that.

I don’t know your personal name and I don’t even care about disagreements over franchises, that’s not what I took issue with. I don’t mean to come off as you don’t have friends, and I’m not even sure how that’s what you took away from what I said. What I meant is: Alien has been a major franchise with POC and Latinos, it always has been. In the US, in Lat Am, everywhere I visited. That’s why me and others expressed that was a silly notion, it wasn’t to come off to an attack towards you, regardless how you acted after my reply.

Edited by ZattMurdock

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Deadline early estimates were right.  It's playing very frontloaded. Poor walkups was pointed out in the tracking tread. 

Yeah I was kinda hoping it would be way more walk up heavy than it is right now but maybe WOM can carry this one and get a stronger Sat-Sun. Really excited by the prospect of an Alien vs. Predator film by Alvarez and Trachtenberg. 

• Like 2

3rd weekly overall domestic box office comparison between Deadpool & Wolverine, Inside Out 2, and Jurassic World

DW - $516,816,895

IO2 - $503,823,699

Jurassic World - $527,300,925

Expect Deadpool and Wolverine around 27 million for 4th weekend, which is behind IO2 30.3 million and Jurassic World with 29.2 million.

Edited by Migs20242
  • Like 3

yeah this franchise has a ceiling and is not 4 quadrant appealing (demographics shows mostly men 25+). Prometheus was an outlier. As long as they can make the budgets reasonable they should be able to keep them going, though I am not sure what more you can do now other than "people trapped in a place with Xenos". They should try Alien vs Predator again

Just now, John Marston said:

yeah this franchise has a ceiling and is not 4 quadrant appealing (demographics shows mostly men 25+). Prometheus was an outlier. As long as they can make the budgets reasonable they should be able to keep them going, though I am not sure what more you can do now other than "people trapped in a place with Xenos". They should try Alien vs Predator again

Xenos on Earth. That was suppose to be the plot of Alien 3 until they chickened out.

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Kind of said this a few days ago and got scoffing reactions. As long as they keep the budgets reasonable that's fine though if the core audience goes and is satisfied.

• Like 1

2nd weekend true fss drops:

Prometheus -56% 

Covenant -67%  

Covenant got slammed by competition, with better reception and little competition here maybe can pull like -50% for ~18M. Close race for #1

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Ouch, that's some pretty nasty frontloading.

Still if you offered me a $40m OW a month ago I would've been pretty impressed. Add that this is the first Alien movie that seems to be widely liked since....Aliens? and it might leg out.

21 minutes ago, Migs20242 said:

3rd weekly overall domestic box office comparison between Deadpool & Wolverine, Inside Out 2, and Jurassic World

DW - $516,816,895

IO2 - $503,823,699

Jurassic World - $527,300,925

Expect Deadpool and Wolverine around 27 million for 4th weekend, which is behind IO2 30.3 million and Jurassic World with 29.2 million.

Barbie - $492,608,894

I think it's biggest final milestone will be passing Barbie, if it can do that, so I've been keeping pace with that movie as well. Jurassic and Inside Out had the 4th of July weekend around now so they had some big boosts during the week + weekend that will be showing up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blankments said:

10.4M for the weekend (because I'm sorry, yesterday was previews, I don't care how it's labeled) is absolutely bonkers. Glad it's doing well though; it's a modern classic.

Rooting for 100m for it. Will be at $82m this weekend, hoping it has enough juice to get there.

1 minute ago, Cooper Legion said:

2nd weekend true fss drops:

Prometheus -56% 

Covenant -67%  

Covenant got slammed by competition, with better reception and little competition here maybe can pull like -50% for ~18M. Close race for #1

Yeah, Alien: Covenant fell 70% weekend two and having to lose all its PLF screens to Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales certainly didn't help it hold better. 

For me, I'm just hoping that $100M domestically is still attainable even if it comes below $45M this weekend. I say it still is, but it can't drop 70% next weekend. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, el sid said:

That would be very disappointing 😔.

And also would make our hours-long counting completely worthless :(.

it's far from worthless. we got previews pretty close. :)

we don't have much much data on fri/sat in the tracking thread, so it's hard to know how frontloaded things will be 

• Like 1

Will say that I was always skeptical over the 50M/60M projections people were making for Romulus. Alien has always been a niche, fan-driven property, and there was little I saw in the marketing that helped make it crossover to non-fans. But I mean, 40M+ is still a great result for a franchise that just hit its lowest financial point a few years ago and peaked back in the 80s. Plus the soft reboot and clean slate approach will probably help a potential sequel and the franchise in general going forward. I don't think Disney needs to fret here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The latest budget for Romulus is 80 million so even if it's 'just' 40, that's half its budget right there with a (Going by this thread) unexpectedly good debut in China. I think it'll be fine.

• Like 1