Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

Just realized if Disney owned Laika we would be getting a live action Caroline remake directed by Guillermo del Toro in next 10 years.

Edited by Mojoguy

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

sunday higher than Saturday, I thought cult classic supposed to be frontloaded? 

The-Numbers has a lower domestic cume at $87.8M. So which one is it?

13 minutes ago, AniNate said:

All the other Laika movies are still free on the FAST Pluto/Tubi apps. I think the Wildwood tease was also intended as backdoor promotion of Kubo and Paranorman as well.

I can definitely see that. It was a sad sitting before the showtime and seeing the "coming soon" for Wildwood and my friend being excited and I didn't have the heart to tell her that I have no idea what's going on with the distribution of that. But if this can get someone to bit on being a distributor off the success of this then I'm happy about it. 

1 minute ago, Eric Ripley said:

Half-convinced WB should try to get a Corpse Bride re-release out in time for Halloween, especially if 🪲🧃 really does crazy numbers and really rejuvenates some Burton nostalgia.

Corpse Bride isn't neatly as popular as Caroline.

Jenna Ortega seems to be Burton's new muse now that Depp is gone. I wouldn't be surprised at another new animated film from Burton with Ortega as the lead.

I wish his black and white doggy movie had done better.

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Corpse Bride isn't neatly as popular as Caroline.

True. But it costs nothing to do a re-release, and Corpse Bride merch is everywhere in Spirit Halloween that I would assume WB could get a couple million out of it. It's no Nightmare Before Christmas of course, but very few things are.

Well I got to tell you guys that Alien Romulus was pretty much just as fun as Deadpool and wolverine. I think I had a smile on my face from about the 15 minute mark in until the very end. It's complete and total fan service and there's so many moments that make you want to stand up and cheer and there was one moment where I kind of sort of saw it coming and when it happened I clapped for about 10 seconds and so did some of the other people in the audience even though there might have been 10 people there. It really has the feel and aesthetic of the first two movies. 

Cailee Spaeny caught my eye in Civil War, I thought she was the best part of the movie. But she's beyond fantastic in this one. Seeing her in it, I honestly couldn't see anybody else playing the part. Civil war probably got people to notice her, this movie is going to make her a star.

Sorry I know this is the wrong thread to be gushing over the movie but I just wanted to share it all with you.

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

Both the-numbers and Boxofficemojo are a mess. The less said about the foreign grosses at the-numbers, the better. On the other hand, BoM has obvious and silly mistakes like Black Panther's WW gross being $1.375 instead of the $1.347 it actually has, because it somehow made $27,353,641 in a 2020 re-release in Australia, after opening with $35,897. It probably didn't add $100,000 to it's total there, let alone $27 million.

I miss the prime days of BoM, when we had an authoritative source for all things box office.

• Like 6

I can't even navigate through box office mojo anymore on my phone. It used to be a piece of cake back in the day and now it just feels lazy and unimportant to the people that run it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Dark Samurai said:

Both the-numbers and Boxofficemojo are a mess. The less said about the foreign grosses at the-numbers, the better. On the other hand, BoM has obvious and silly mistakes like Black Panther's WW gross being $1.375 instead of the $1.347 it actually has, because it somehow made $27,353,641 in a 2020 re-release in Australia, after opening with $35,897. It probably didn't add $100,000 to it's total there, let alone $27 million.

I miss the prime days of BoM, when we had an authoritative source for all things box office.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I can't even navigate through box office mojo anymore on my phone. It used to be a piece of cake back in the day and now it just feels lazy and unimportant to the people that run it.

IMDb/Amazon ruined it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Cailee Spaeny caught my eye in Civil War, I thought she was the best part of the movie. But she's beyond fantastic in this one. Seeing her in it, I honestly couldn't see anybody else playing the part. Civil war probably got people to notice her, this movie is going to make her a star.

It makes me very happy to see her get some more love lately. Been a fan of hers since she broke out in 2018 (she was in the super underrated Bad Times at the El Royale and Devs).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

It makes me very happy to see her get some more love lately. Been a fan of hers since she broke out in 2018 (she was in the super underrated Bad Times at the El Royale and Devs).

I never heard of her before civil war but I'm definitely going to try to find some more of her work. She definitely has a presence and I thought she was just perfect for Romulus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I never heard of her before civil war but I'm definitely going to try to find some more of her work. She definitely has a presence and I thought she was just perfect for Romulus.

I was introduced to her in last year's Priscilla, the only Elvis movie that matters. Amazing movie right there, and I knew from her performance she was gonna go somewhere. I guess I was right!

• Like 1