Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

All good explanations about why Twisters did not hit OS. Just glad nobody said because Daisy and Glenn did not do it at the end or  something.

Any connection whatsoever would already be something, anything that OS audiences could connect or care about. Most of the world doesn’t care about middle America cows or whatever is going on with that film.

1 hour ago, Jaxon5 said:

Bond is too white though and those movies are a constant overseas draw. Twister was the 2nd highest overseas grosser back in 96 and I think part of the reason was star power. Bill Paxton and especially Helen Hunt were bigger draws overseas than Glen is right now but his career has only just started. Clearly he has some pull with US audiences right now

Bond isn’t and never was particularly white. It’s a power fantasy, that’s why those Idris Elba’s fancasting ideas got so popular. It’s the globe throttling, license to kill thing that it’s at core of Bond, not even mentioning the power of the IP. The single important character trait that Bond has is that he is British super secret agent. Everything else is interchangeable, and obviously with a cemented worldwide appeal.

52 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

con bianco intendiamo che sembra riguardare l'America rurale. Non è l'America che vende di più. Ecco perché parlavo di musica country. È un tipo di musica che non ha alcun mercato internazionale, fatta eccezione per pochissimi artisti in passato, perché non rappresenta l'immagine più popolare dell'America, che è New York, Washington, Los Angeles e le grandi città.

Ricordo che The day after tomorrow aveva un manifesto con la Statua della Libertà sotto il ghiaccio. Il giorno dell'Indipendenza aveva la Casa Bianca. Quello vende molto meglio delle mucche dentro un uragano

This.

You know what, how about we just be even-handed about this whole "why didn't Twisters do well overseas" argument and say it was because Warner Bros. had nothing really to work with to sell the movie to international audiences. 

Universal was the one who had to (and did) do all the work to sell the film in North America and it's literally paying off for them. 

To me, I think it's a lot more than just "WB messed up" or "WB doesn't have enough money to market their movies." If they were able to sell Twisters to international audiences, they probably would've created a strong marketing campaign to help the film's prospects in theaters. It's just that they didn't have anything to work with because Universal did all the work to sell the film to the country that it is 100% aimed at. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Idk why Oppenheimer is used as a comp when it made half of 600 mil.

Because it's hard to find an r-rated movie in the summertime to compare it to. If you have another suggestion I'm all ears.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jaxon5 said:

30m sounds more sexy though

Yeah but it would have to jump considerably more than 50% for saturday. Don't see how that's possible.

This Kyle Bosman’s post mortem of Borderlands is hilarious and repeats what I’ve been saying here on the board for a while:

One game’s"Unit sales do not correlate to a franchise strength". (…) "Borderlands is just a fun game with guns".

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Because it's hard to find an r-rated movie in the summertime to compare it to. If you have another suggestion I'm all ears.

The movie has been operating a lot more like a PG-13 film than an R rated one, so just don't compare it to R rated movies is the real answer here. 

Purely talking about gauging it's pace on a day to day wrt jumps and whatnot and what to expect from here on. 

Edited by wattage
Typo
  • Like 1

Just now, wattage said:

The movie has been operating a lot more like a PG-13 film than an R rated one, so just don't compare it to R rated movies is the real answer here. 

I guess baumer knows what he’s doing but that might just be me. 

Opp, Barbie and JW are all good comps. baumer has been doing this shit for so long that I think it’d be wise for newcomers to know that dude knows how to do this.

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Opp, Barbie and JW are all good comps. baumer has been doing this shit for so long that I think it’d be wise for newcomers to know that dude knows how to do this.

I’ve been in the forum for a long time bud. Don’t you “newcomer” me.

1 hour ago, baumer said:

The movie in question hasn’t even been performing like an R-rated movie tho. DPW has consistently been more of a weekend performer than Oppenheimer.

When can Blake Lively's film leave theaters so people will stop pretending like she's beenstill a major part of our culture? "She's problematic!" Okay, so what? She'll disappear in a month and we can ignore her again like we did after A Simple Favor.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

17 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I mean fair, they have their own experience and I know that since I've been lurking around before I started speaking. But they made a statement to someone else and i chimed in with my opinion on the R-rated comps. 

In general, I would just listen to what people have to say with their various perspectives and if they're very off and insistent then you can bring up to them your (or someone else's in this case) background in it to get them to understand you're not doing stuff at random so they listen.

Even people who are very new can bring up things you haven't thought of every once in a while, amidst newcomer mistakes. Not really any reason to shut people down. Or whatever you're attempting to do. And also, you don't really know anyone's level of experience with data analysis, I'm new on here which I've talked about before but no need to try and diminish my input. Or anyone else's really. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

When can Blake Lively's film leave theaters so people will stop pretending like she's beenstill a major part of our culture? "She's problematic!" Okay, so what? She'll disappear in a month and we can ignore her again like we did after A Simple Favor.

I watched a single review of the movie on YouTube and I've gotten a very odd amount of "here's the drama" videos in my suggestions, but it's been very free of that discussion on here though so that's nice! It'll blow over soon I imagine. 

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

You are literally the only person who has brought up Blake Lively in this thread in the last 24 hours

Have you been outside of here in the last 24 hours? I just ran across a Huffington Post article about how problematic she is. I'm glad the drama isn't being discussed here because it doesn't matter. But I cannot escape it on social media!

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Have you been outside of here in the last 24 hours? I just ran across a Huffington Post article about how problematic she is. I'm glad the drama isn't being discussed here because it doesn't matter. But I cannot escape it on social media!

so why you bringing it up here?

17 minutes ago, wattage said:

I mean fair, they have their own experience and I know that since I've been lurking around before I started speaking. But they made a statement to someone else and i chimed in with my opinion on the R-rated comps. 

In general, I would just listen to what people have to say with their various perspectives and if they're very off and insistent then you can bring up to them your (or someone else's in this case) background in it to get them to understand you're not doing stuff at random so they listen.

Even people who are very new can bring up things you haven't thought of every once in a while, amidst newcomer mistakes. Not really any reason to shut people down. Or whatever you're attempting to do. And also, you don't really know anyone's level of experience with data analysis, I'm new on here which I've talked about before but no need to try and diminish my input. Or anyone else's really. 

I didn’t mean to disparage or disrespect your own data analysis expertise, what I’ve said and I stand by it that baumer is right: Oppenheimer for the similar release date and being rated R it’s objectively a good comp to follow Deadpool & Wolverine. Baumer and myself have already talked about on this very board last weekend that JW would be the best comp for D&W and while it’s correct that D&W is more weekend heavy, I’m not sure if saying it’s behaving more like a PG-13 endeavor since we know that NA is much more restrict with IDs and allowing kids into these screenings than other countries, but my point is that obviously neither baumer or anyone should just use one comp to follow D&W, a set of some films like Oppenheimer, Barbie (for its recency and similar release dates alone) and Jurassic World would be the safest approach to predict where it might go.

Sorry if you felt I diminished your input, my whole point was to say that no one should diminish baumer’s input because he has experience with this and has been doing for longer than I’ve been around, which is more than one decade. When you say that he shouldn’t use that, so that’s what I was trying to avoid: his input is valid. As it’s yours. There isn’t a right answer when it comes to tracking box office comps. It’s not an exact science, but recency and similar release dates alone make Opp a valid comp, even if D&W’s weekends have been indeed stronger. 

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1