Eric the Marxist

Labor Day Weekend Thread | Reagan 525K previews, AfrAId 400K

While this weekend is going to be pretty weak overall, the gross today will put this month ahead of August 2019, which makes it only the second time post pandemic that a month has outgrossed it's 2029 counterpart (the other being Barbenheimmer July). It'll end up being the biggest August since 2016.

I was hoping we'd see the month get to $900M, but this weekend is likely too weak to do it. Still, that's a minor complaint. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eric Ripley said:

The movie at this point in time isn’t expected to hit the six-century mark at the domestic box office just yet, but it’s going to try.

Do they mean by the end of this weekend? The 12-14 million projected weekend alone would bring it 595-597.

26 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Is 400k good for AfAId?

It's going to end up with a single digits 4-day and sub-$20M total, so no, no it's not. Expected though, the studio dumped it.

This is an obvious "calm before the storm" weekend.

1 hour ago, Eric Ripley said:

What are some of these movies? Glad people are working but with Reagan, AfrAId, and these three, that's quite a "Labor Day weekend" slate of new releases:

Slingshot, a space movie from Bleecker Street starring Casey Affleck:

1992 starring Tyrese Gibson and Scott Eastwood:

70 percent on RT! One of Ray Liotta's last movies! Not enough to make it a winner for Lionsgate, unfortunately.

From Roadside Attractions and the "Executive Producers of Sound of Freedom", border crisis drama City of Dreams:

And check out the wide range of famous people with vanity producing credits on this thing:

Tons of celebrities put their names on this movie as EPs including Sylvester Stallone, Martin Sheen, Kathie Lee Gifford, Riverdale star Marisol Nichols, political leader Vivek Ramaswamy, and actress/producer Colleen Camp.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Astonished 1

59 minutes ago, vafrow said:

While this weekend is going to be pretty weak overall, the gross today will put this month ahead of August 2019, which makes it only the second time post pandemic that a month has outgrossed it's 2029 counterpart (the other being Barbenheimmer July). It'll end up being the biggest August since 2016.

I was hoping we'd see the month get to $900M, but this weekend is likely too weak to do it. Still, that's a minor complaint. 

IEWU and Alien ended up being strong late season performers and minimized what could've been a month long slump into just a couple weeks. Year still has an outside shot of catching up to 2023 with the late blockbuster slate.

• Like 1

This doesn't really have anything to do with the weekend, but the Deadline article did point out something that I've been thinking since yesterday. We really were just one Marvel movie away from the summer box office either hitting $4B (on par with pre-pandemic years) or just barely passing 2023's number.

It honestly shows that despite dealing with two massive bombs (The Fall Guy and Furiosa) May could've been saved if it kicked off with an MCU movie that could've grossed $350M-$400M domestically. Since June, July, and August pulled off best-case scenario grosses, that was the last thing this summer really needed to pass 2023 or at least come dangerously close to it. 

Instead, we get a still good $3.6B summer in which the reasons why it didn't match last year's number is almost exclusively because of the terrible May. 

12 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

What are some of these movies? Glad people are working but with Reagan, AfrAId, and these three, that's quite a "Labor Day weekend" slate of new releases:

Slingshot, a space movie from Bleecker Street starring Casey Affleck:

1992 starring Tyrese Gibson and Scott Eastwood:

70 percent on RT! One of Ray Liotta's last movies! Not enough to make it a winner for Lionsgate, unfortunately.

From Roadside Attractions and the "Executive Producers of Sound of Freedom", border crisis drama City of Dreams:

And check out the wide range of famous people with vanity producing credits on this thing:

These seem to have been sitting on the shelf for a while so it was a collective "cleaning house" frame. AfrAId was supposed to be out last August, while both 1992 and Slingshot were filmed in 2021. Reagan was actually made in 2020 lmao.

• Like 2

Just now, AniNate said:

I would've settled for Furiosa not bombing

Absolutely, but even if that movie (and The Fall Guy) pulled in best-case scenario grosses, it wouldn't have been enough to make May that much stronger a month. It still would've been missing a $300M+ or even a $200M+ grosser which last May had with Guardians 3 and The Little Mermaid. We probably would've been at $3.85B or $3.9B in total this summer if both Furiosa and The Fall Guy didn't bomb. 

It sucks, but if we wanted this summer's box office to beat last year's, we needed an MCU movie to kick off the summer. 

32 minutes ago, Eric Ripley said:

So...how have y'all been this past week? Enjoying yourselves?

Hibernating until the real box office event

Beetlejuice 2 Reveal GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

• Like 1

Cuckoo released last Friday here. The only films releasing wide this weekend are AfrAId and Amazing Spider-Man 2. And yet Cuckoo has been pulled from just about every single cinema after 1 week. Super annoying man. Was looking forward to watching it.

But hey, at least there's dane dehaan's green goblin..

:qotd:

Edited by Avatree

54 minutes ago, Eric Ripley said:

So...how have y'all been this past week? Enjoying yourselves?

I guess, but I'm just patiently waiting for the fall to start. 

I want to get back to at least semi-interesting box office numbers on a regular basis. Hoping these next four months can deliver something as awesome and as jaw-dropping as some of the numbers we've seen in the past three months. 

Basically, more Inside Out 2, Deadpool and Wolverine, Longlegs, Twisters, and It Ends with Us-style breakouts. Hopefully that makes sense.

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

We don't have to wait too long this year at least. August through September has been dead dead dead the last couple years.

Yeah, last September (and 2022's September) were really miserable. This one is gonna start off with a bang and has three more movies that have potential to open to over $20M.

Also, I think every month from September to December has a literal shot of having a movie open to $100M. We literally had no movie open to that number between Barbie and Inside Out 2. 

September: Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

October: Joker: Folie á Deux

November: Moana 2

December: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (I'm probably overshooting with this one, but I wouldn't be shocked)

For now though, let's just have one last final hurrah for the summer movies that have been keeping the box office streak going for this long. This is exactly what we needed after a terrible start to the summer. 

• Like 1

My local AMC is showing Prisoner of Azkaban and Half-Blood Prince once a day, all weekend. I guess they're anniversary screenings not being widely advertised that way for...reasons.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl