AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

Incredible opening for BJ. Remember the original was more of a cult film yet its sequel is going to destroy the grosses of the recent Ghostbusters films and Indiana Jones 5. I think it is clear many  younger people are seeing this as “Wednesday: The Movie”. 

• Like 1

Very great start to September! I'm hoping that the other openers continue to bolster the month. I have faith in both Transformers and The Wild Robot in the weeks to come but we'll focus on Beetlejuice doing great for now.

I'm going to see it again this weekend just for the visual treat and to see it with a bigger crowd. The preview crowd I had was pretty quiet, which is what I wanted by going so early, but now I want to get more of a feel for audience reactions now that I've seen it already. That's half the fun for me. 

• Like 1

I find it funny Beetlejuice is considered a "cult classic" because it was still popular at the time.  It was the 10th highest grossing US movie in 1988.  I know ABC Family/Freeform's Halloween marathons helped boost the attention over the years, but it would be like if 'Us' or 'Sound of Freedom' or 'Interstellar' were deemed cult classic movies in 40 years if they grew in popularity.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, crazymoviekid said:

I find it funny Beetlejuice is considered a "cult classic" because it was still popular at the time.  It was the 10th highest grossing US movie in 1988.  I know ABC Family/Freeform's Halloween marathons helped boost the attention over the years, but it would be like if 'Us' or 'Sound of Freedom' or 'Interstellar' were deemed cult classic movies in 40 years if they grew in popularity.

Apparently Titanic is a cult classic. People will throw that term around for anything. 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Incredible opening for BJ. Remember the original was more of a cult film yet its sequel is going to destroy the grosses of the recent Ghostbusters films and Indiana Jones 5. I think it is clear many  younger people are seeing this as “Wednesday: The Movie”. 

Yeah, kind of like how the first IT for many people was seen as Stranger Things: The Movie. Helped that movie become a phenomenon.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2024/09/box-office-beetlejuice-beetlejuice-1236079763/

UPDATED AFTER EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros is officially reporting $13M for Beetlejuice Beetlejuice. High exits scores from fans last night at 4 1/2 stars on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak and 5 stars from both parents and kids under 12. Currently, the projection for the sequel is $90M — with potential for upside. 

Females made a date with the Michael Keaton-Jenna Ortega-Winona Ryder sequel at 59% with 73% being over 25. Girls also outnumbered boys, 62% to 38% among the kids. A very strong turnout by Latino and Hispanic moviegoers last night at 36%. 

RelishMix says that the social media reach for Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is 41% ahead of action comedy sci-fi genre norms with 508.6M followers across TikTok, Facebook, X, YouTube and Instagram combined.

• Like 3

Warner Bros is officially reporting $13M for Beetlejuice Beetlejuice. High exits scores from fans last night at 4 1/2 stars on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak and 5 stars from both parents and kids under 12. Currently, the projection for the sequel is $90M — with potential for upside

Females made a date with the Michael Keaton-Jenna Ortega-Winona Ryder sequel at 59% with 73% being over 25. Girls also outnumbered boys, 62% to 38% among the kids. A very strong turnout by Latino and Hispanic moviegoers last night at 36%.

Strong PostTrak for Beetlejuice. Gonna cruise through September. That’s a high over 25 percentage, not surprising though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crazymoviekid said:

I find it funny Beetlejuice is considered a "cult classic" because it was still popular at the time

I think it more or less fits the bill for a  'cult classic' - if someone were to tell me that Beetlejuice was a commercial dud, I wouldn't be too surprised? It has the weird zany (and even somewhat... idk if that's the right word, but, repulsive) kind-of aesthetic that it feels natural to group it alongside something like Rocky Horror, or Labyrinth.

Calling Titanic a cult classic, however...

• Like 1

Final Thursday Preview Number for Beetlejuice Beetlejuice: $13M

$3M from Wednesday EA Screenings

$10M from Thursday Previews

Man, this is the third time this year that a Warner Bros. film earned $10M in previews. First Dune: Part Two ($10M without EA screenings), Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire ($10M in just Thursday previews), and now Beetlejuice Beetlejuice with $10M without EA screenings added. 

Edited by Ryan C

9 minutes ago, BundleOfJoy said:

I think it more or less fits the bill for a  'cult classic' - if someone were to tell me that Beetlejuice was a commercial dud, I wouldn't be too surprised? It has the weird zany (and even somewhat... idk if that's the right word, but, repulsive) kind-of aesthetic that it feels natural to group it alongside something like Rocky Horror, or Labyrinth.

But it wasn't. It was a box office success. It still betrays a lack of research on the part of the person assigning that label and does a disservice to mainstream audiences of the time that they assume it tanked just because it fits the "aesthetic"

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

No, and I am not calling it a cult classic; just that thinking it is one is an easy mistake to make, especially if you were born in the 90s or something.

Edit: Oops, I noticed the phrase 'fits the bill for a cult classic', should've worded it better, sorry. What I meant was that it looks like a movie that would be a cult classic.

Edited by BundleOfJoy