AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

7 minutes ago, wattage said:

Final act is one of the Uber cars driving onto a subway train as a sort of callback to the original movies third act or something silly like that. 500 million ww. 

Now you're getting it. We should probably start writing this treatment before some Disney executive reads this and steals our idea.

• Like 1

I had been saying for years that an Elf 2 storyline seems pretty easy to come up with.

25 years later, Buddy loses his own Christmas spirit after the loss of Papa Elf (RIP Newhart) and it is up to his children (played by, idk, Timothy and Sweeney) to help him gain back his Christmas spirit. 

I guess it would be difficult to recapture the “fish out of water” magic but the first movie is so iconic that people would flock to it anyways.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Eric Deetz said:

Now you're getting it. We should probably start writing this treatment before some Disney executive reads this and steals our idea.

I have to fit that in between treatments on the Elf 2: Saving Buddy that DAJK just pitched 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I had been saying for years that an Elf 2 storyline seems pretty easy to come up with.

25 years later, Buddy loses his own Christmas spirit after the loss of Papa Elf (RIP Newhart) and it is up to his children (played by, idk, Timothy and Sweeney) to help him gain back his Christmas spirit. 

I guess it would be difficult to recapture the “fish out of water” magic but the first movie is so iconic that people would flock to it anyways.

Just the thought of Buddy being a sad old man is depressing and is absolutely what they'd do. I'm actually very grateful that Will Ferrell seems to not be interested in any legacy sequels right now and is just chilling out. Knocking on wood. 

28 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

The plot would make sense: all the Kids returning as adults with their new sons...e.t returns.. there are millions ways to create a new good story.

Are there? The whole reason E.T. works and has aged well is that it's simple and scaled-down. The boy and the alien forming a connection is literally the story, everything else is extraneous. Yeah it allows for that spectacular climax but on the whole it's gotta be the quietest movie to ever break box office records, which is its charm. Any pitch that goes "Here's E.T. back, and with more of everything!" is fundamentally unworkable. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, wattage said:

Just the thought of Buddy being a sad old man is depressing and is absolutely what they'd do. I'm actually very grateful that Will Ferrell seems to not be interested in any legacy sequels right now and is just chilling out. Knocking on wood. 

One day Will Ferrell is going to realize that if he green lights enough nostalgia sequels, he'll have enough capital to buy an NBA expansion franchise, and then it's all over.

• Astonished 1

36 minutes ago, Eric Deetz said:

Instead of a bomb on a bus, it's a bomb on a car. An Uber car. And you have like...5 Ubers with bombs on them. One car explodes, and then Keanu and Sandra have to save the other Uber drivers before it's too late, using the app to track down their locations and stuff.

It's basically a Fast and Furious movie now, but who cares?

Pretty sure I watched a Liam Neeson movie like that on last year's National Cinema Day:

Is there a complete demo breakdown for Beetlejuice Beetlejuice? I see the Latino percent but besides that... Locally I am seeing a slight difference in traffic between our two AMCs.

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Are there? The whole reason E.T. works and has aged well is that it's simple and scaled-down. The boy and the alien forming a connection is literally the story, everything else is extraneous. Yeah it allows for that spectacular climax but on the whole it's gotta be the quietest movie to ever break box office records, which is its charm. Any pitch that goes "Here's E.T. back, and with more of everything!" is fundamentally unworkable. 

Yeah there are ??? The 186th Jurassic park movie is coming and you can't play with E T first movie plot to create a new compelling story?

For example something like Hook about the adult characters having trouble with the Kids and E.T returns to help...whatever..exactly cause the story is simple there are many ways to crate a new simple and effective story.

Anyways i didn't mean i want It and i agree of course It's a perfect closed movie. 

Just an E.T sequel imo would really really work ...users here were talking about this new wave of nostalgia sequels after a lot of decades and that imo would have the potential to be the biggest.

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I remember reading Spielberg's attempt at a sequel treatment, where the kids get kidnapped by evil aliens, and it's like...yeah. It just doesn't work with a continuation. The only way you could really do a sequel would probably be Elliott trying to remember his lost childhood or something, and even that feels kind of forced.

Plus you know...nostalgia is evil and stuff.

7 minutes ago, vafrow said:

One day Will Ferrell is going to realize that if he green lights enough nostalgia sequels, he'll have enough capital to buy an NBA expansion franchise, and then it's all over.

I'm hoping he knows and is content with what he's got right now which is a shit ton of money from when he was at his peak and then a shit ton more from when he was past that and still getting tons of roles anyway, but who knows what's the future has in store for us. 

6 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Yeah there are ??? The 186th Jurassic park movie is coming and you can't play with E T first movie plot to create a new compelling story?

For example something like Hook about the adult characters having trouble with the Kids and E.T returns to help...whatever..exactly cause the story is simple there are many ways to crate a new simple and effective story.

Anyways i didn't mean i want It and i agree of course It's a perfect closed movie. 

Just an E.T sequel imo would really really work ...users here were talking about this new wave of nostalgia sequels after a lot of decades and that imo would have the potential to be the biggest.

The fact that your first thought for a new compelling E.T. story is "something like" Hook, commonly thought of as one of Spielberg's worst and most cynical movies, already says it all.

Jurassic Park is a franchise because it's built on spectacle and life-and-death thrills. E.T. is built on emotion. It's as elemental as can be, and it only works once. I don't think a hypothetical legacy sequel to it could be the biggest because I think even today's audiences would recognize how unnecessary it is.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

https://deadline.com/2024/09/box-office-beetlejuice-beetlejuice-1236079763/

Deadline's projecting $38M for Friday. 

So is Deadline lowballing as usual or are they gonna be on the money like they were for Alien: Romulus?

This is a hella lowball. That would be extremely front loaded. Alien is kind of a fluke in my opinion for Deadline

13 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The fact that your first thought for a new compelling E.T. story is "something like" Hook, commonly thought of as one of Spielberg's worst and most cynical movies, already says it all.

Jurassic Park is a franchise because it's built on spectacle and life-and-death thrills. E.T. is built on emotion. It's as elemental as can be, and it only works once. I don't think a hypothetical legacy sequel to it could be the biggest because I think even today's audiences would recognize how unnecessary it is.

You can build another emotional story especially after 50 years. I don't see how can you Say there is any way to creare a new good story. 

And Jurassic park Is an idea just works One time and infact all the sequels are bad and far way from the First movie quality. They are still big even if people should understand how unnecessary they are cause they really are. 

Edited by vale9001