AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

TFOne (and subsequently Wild Robot) did move a week back because they decided Beetlejuice might be competition, that was probably a wise decision. But all three of the movies still have distinct tones which should help them find niches through October and November. Beetlejuice I'm sure ought to still be playing well through Halloween especially since the holiday plays a major thematic role in the movie itself.

That's true, but I also wouldn't be surprised to expect some overlap between the movies. Though I think that's more the case with Transformers One than The Wild Robot as that one is skewing towards nostalgic adults/young kids (like Beetlejuice Beetlejuice) and will be the movie to take all of the PLFs away from Beetlejuice in its third weekend. 

We'll see, but at the end of the day, I think all of us are hoping that The Wild Robot and Transformers One open well, don't cannabalize each other, and that Beetlejuice Beetlejuice continues to put up strong holds even without the PLF screens. 

5 minutes ago, Ezen Baklattan said:

Doom and gloom from opening day slightly below inflated expectations

Massively good Saturday hold

close enough 

welcome back catching fire opening weekend

Wonder what the overlap between posters in this thread and that one are. I'm guessing there might be less than a 10% commonality because of the number of users who no longer post and the new batch

It's crazy that you guys mention the Catching Fire opening weekend because that was my first big weekend on this forum. I remember I found the forum a month or two before looking up predictions for that movie, and I stumbled upon this lovely site (by the way, the prediction was 167/390, which was pretty close to how things ended up). Can't believe that was almost 11 years ago!

32 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Wonder what the overlap between posters in this thread and that one are. I'm guessing there might be less than a 10% commonality because of the number of users who no longer post and the new batch

I'm an old head at this point and Catching Fire was before my time lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

The lesson studios should be taking from this is that we need more goth milfs in movies

Goth girlfriends from the 90s are the goth milfs now I guess. Time comes for everyone 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

They tried getting Ant Man 3 over 2 with GOTG3 double features. It didn't work then but IO2 is closer to JW so it might work here.

Depending on how this weekend and next weekend goes it would be really easy like you said it'd be really close. I just know they usually do the double features with movies that are already in theaters, Ant-Man was still in some theaters when they did the double features. Does that often happen with something they re-release into theaters? 

I'm just expecting Inside Out to be out of theaters entirely by Thanksgiving that's why I was wondering if they'd do it. 

Most drive ins in the country only operate during warm weather seasons so I wouldn't anticipate much of an inside out 2 bump with Moana. It'll probably be on D+ by that time anyway. Disney wasn't that concerned about getting elemental over the $500 million mark so I doubt they feel much different about IO2 over Jurassic.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

This  has to be among the craziest saturday increase for a PG13 movie in its OW. it increased > 41% at just MTC1 compared to yesterday and MTC1 ratio goes down on a saturday. Could go higher than Charlie's number. 

Twisters and now Bettlejuice shows that pairing up a aged property with a new hot-selling star may be solution to revive some bygone IP.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Twisters and now Bettlejuice shows that pairing up a aged property with a new hot-selling star may be solution to revive some bygone IP.

Didn’t Jurassic World did this? I don’t think this is the primary reason.

7 hours ago, grumpythepenguin said:

Depends on how keen she is to promote a project. I imagine Lionsgate would've wanted to do a bigger release for Miller's Girl in theatres earlier this year but she didn't want to promote it. I think she attended the premiere but otherwise didn't make any posts on social media about its theatrical release or streaming release. She left it to Martin Freeman to do interviews/press, etc. and it ended up only doing $321,000 on 350 screens.

People who have seen Miller's Girl know why she didn't want anything to do with that movie. In fact it's a headscratcher why her agent convinced/let her do it in the first place.

Let’s not get carried away with $350 million plus just yet. Sure it’s had an amazing Saturday increase, but next weekend will tell us if it’s going over $300 million, nevermind the $350 million mark.

Hold On Wait GIF by Britannia 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Didn’t Jurassic World did this? I don’t think this is the primary reason.

JW came out in 2015, that is almost 10 years ago in different decade. 

Back in 2000s and 2010s, young star were utilised to kick off some fresh franchise like HP, twilight, HG, Transfomer but now Hollywood mostly use them to revive lure young audience into old or legacy IP. Time change.