AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That Sunday drop is definitely an underestimate given the demos this is playing to. Transformers and The Wild Robot might be sweating a bit right now as the family-targeted breakout void is looking like it might have been filled (like Barbie, it's obvious the PG-13 isn't turning off any families from seeing this).

TFOne was originally supposed to come out next week but they went on record saying they moved to get further away from Beetlejuice, so they were aware of its breakout potential. Two weeks is probably enough for it not to still be sucking away audiences from other tentpoles though. TFOne and Wild Robot have different tonal aims from Beetlejuice too and early buzz on both indicates their reviews could be much better. Plus they've then got a couple months until the November behemoths before any more real competition.

Edited by AniNate

I would also say Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is not as big as Barbie was nor a soft PG-13 the way it was, it definitely earns it. Parents I think will appreciate something a little less objectionable later on.

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Glad that Romulus is going to pass 100M  but it is clear  the Alien franchise has become kind of niche. The first two Alien films made more money than the original Beetlejuice yet look at how each respective sequel is performing this year

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

@excel1 turning to sorcery to make that Hartnettsance happen.

It is out on digital and everyone is realizing how incredible this instant classic is, no surprise its theatrical jumped..

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

That this sequel was every bit as random and off-kilter as the first one, and has made $110 million OW - very encouraging stuff.  Let Burton do what he likes as these younger audiences are clearly here for it like we were the first time around. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

That this sequel was every bit as random and off-kilter as the first one, and has made $110 million OW - very encouraging stuff.  Let Burton do what he likes as these younger audiences are clearly here for it like we were the first time around. 

I hope the Attack of the 50 Foot Woman remake goes ahead. 

24 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Glad that Romulus is going to pass 100M  but it is clear  the Alien franchise has become kind of niche. The first two Alien films made more money than the original Beetlejuice yet look at how each respective sequel is performing this year

Maybe they should have made better Alien sequels then. That would have been a good strategy 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Romulus' leg has been surprisingly meh considering the cinemascore is the third best in the franchise. I guess some plot tropes really went like the way Disney's doubt, "Is it too much?" to the point when the WOM got it out there, it just turn off some segment of the audience.  

absolutely insane opening for beetlejuice. also good to see two female-oriented films do well in short succession.

Edited by Avatree

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

TFOne was originally supposed to come out next week but they went on record saying they moved to get further away from Beetlejuice, so they were aware of its breakout potential. Two weeks is probably enough for it not to still be sucking away audiences from other tentpoles though. TFOne and Wild Robot have different tonal aims from Beetlejuice too and early buzz on both indicates their reviews could be much better. Plus they've then got a couple months until the November behemoths before any more real competition.

I can’t help but thinking that TFone is in a similar position to what ROTB was in last year.

Spiderverse made a slightly larger domestic opening to what Beetlejuice just did, and that didn’t really fuck over transformers all that much despite it also being a PG-12 action movie. Only now instead of Transformers coming the week directly after, it’s 2 weeks after. And it’s September instead of June.

Plus both also had to contest with a big budget animated original AND a movie that was marred with development issues, behind the scenes controversy, AI and scuzzy marketing coming out the following week aswell. 

Edited by CheeseWizard

I think Transformers One will do just fine. There's still a week in between and Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is attracting a more female audience, whereas I believe the Transformers movies have traditionally skewed more male.

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

The "great evil" Jurassic World (AgentCooper's words not mine) is never getting kicked out of the top 10 

Even if Inside Out 2 doesn’t beat Jurassic World, Jurassic World will 100% get kicked out of the top ten. Most likely by next year actually. Avatar: Fire and Ash will 100 percent beat it.