AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

1 minute ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Even if Inside Out 2 doesn’t beat Jurassic World, Jurassic World will 100% get kicked out of the top ten. Most likely by next year actually. Avatar: Fire and Ash will 100 percent beat it. 

I mean, I hope it does, but it's not locked to beat Jurassic World, Avatar 2 only grossed $30M more. I guess Zootopia 2 is also a candidate, although unlikely. 

4 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I was expecting a little bit more  but it's still missing big markets like Germany and France 

Is any 80s classic other than stars wars known overseas ? In my country We know Et and back to future 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Even if Inside Out 2 doesn’t beat Jurassic World, Jurassic World will 100% get kicked out of the top ten. Most likely by next year actually. Avatar: Fire and Ash will 100 percent beat it. 

avatar will be big again for sure but losing a little bit more than 30M from the second chapter (to go under 650M) doesn't seem such a crazy impossible thing honestly. 

3 minutes ago, Selma said:

Is any 80s classic other than stars wars known overseas ? In my country We know Et and back to future 

E.T and back to future definitely. And Indiana Jones. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Deetz said:

Apologies if this was shared already.

This is right in line with what Deadline was predicting before the weekend, so this isn't bad. 

Though I'll be highly interested in seeing how this holds internationally in the coming weeks. 

4 minutes ago, Selma said:

Top Gun Maverick did very well OS.

5 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

avatar will be big again for sure but losing a little bit more than 30M from the second chapter (to go under 650M) doesn't seem such a crazy impossible thing honestly. 

I’m not sure why it would see such a big drop off from the previous movie. It has basically no competition and a pretty empty January, just like the 2nd film. 

unless word of mouth is poor I don’t see why it misses 650m

I'm honestly shocked that this iteration of Beetlejuice opened this high. I didn't think Beetlejuice was that big of a hit almost 40 years ago.

Then I went back and looked at the box office for 1988 and it finished 10th for the year. So I guess Beetlejuice was a lot more adored than what I thought it was. 

I don't think I've seen the original film since it came out originally because I don't think I really enjoyed it back then. I'm going to revisit the original before I go out and see the sequel. Would be nice to see this film do really well not just in North America but worldwide.

• Like 4

Just now, AnthonyJPHer said:

I’m not sure why it would see such a big drop off from the previous movie. It has basically no competition and a pretty empty January, just like the 2nd film. 

unless word of mouth is poor I don’t see why it misses 650m

cause the first movie was better received. The sequel came after 13 years of waiting. There was more hype about the new cgi after all this time, after 3 years the cgi can be that revolutionized. Plus the second movie felt like a complete movie.

Imo in the same way the last trilogy of star wars and jurassic world all lost something from chapter to chapter this is gonna happen with Avatar. 

I don't know if it was the editing or the screenplay but Beetlejuice 2 just had a bunch of plot points that went nowhere. There was absolutely no point for all the side characters especially William dafoe's character, the ex-wife, and both boyfriends character. Very disappointed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selma said:

Even Star Wars isn't exactly humongous overseas outside some countries in Europe and it's a bit big in Japan. It missed the big overseas market expansions due to which it never gained that foothold in the newer markets, South America, China/Korea/India and other big Asian markets genuinely don't care for the franchise.

Force Awakens had a chance to really kickstart Star Wars OS, but by the end with TROS it was like 500M OS 

It it crazy that OG Ghostbusters did 229 m back in1984 and Beetlejuice did only 73 in 1988 and yet the OW for the later's  Legacy sequel just made as much in it's OW as the formers recent sequel did total DOM.  Going the Top Gun route seems to pay off in anticipation where you do not have anything for 36 years rather than mediocre sequels over the years and a botched reboot.

There is interesting data about the demographics from Deadline:

If Beetlejuice Beetlejuice eases back it’s because it’s largely female skewing at 58%, and audience that can pull back on a movie’s second day of release as a multitude already showed up on day one. However, countering that business trajectory is the walk-up business from Latino and Hispanic moviegoers who are currently showing up per Screen Engine/Comscore’s PostTrak at 34%. Exits also show a massive 60% of Beetlejuice Beetlejuice‘s crowd bought tickets same day.

CinemaScore is B+ which is a half step up from the original 1988 movie’s B grade. Blockbusters can be built off B+s. Why not an A? Fans are precious. One should also note that Jenna Ortega’s Scream and Scream VI also received B+. PostTrak audiences surveyed last night said that 25% of the audience went for the actress team of Ortega and Winona Ryder, while 41% bought tickets because it’s a franchise they love, 38% attended because it’s a cast they love (so crucial in reviving interest in this legacy franchise), 30% for director Tim Burton, while 27% went for Michael Keaton.

PostTrak grades were 81% positive with a 68% definite recommend with 49% of the audience between 18-34 years old and 45% of the audience 35+ years old with the largest demo being 25-34 years old at 29%. Other diversity draws were 45% Caucasian, 11% Black, 4% Asian and 6% Native America/other. Business for the sequel is coast to coast with the AMC Burbank the top grossing venue in the nation with north of $131K so far. Imax and PLF screens are repping 36% of ticket sales to date

https://deadline.com/2024/09/box-office-beetlejuice-beetlejuice-1236079763/

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

It it crazy that OG Ghostbusters did 229 m back in1984 and Beetlejuice did only 73 in 1988 and yet the OW for the later's  Legacy sequel just made as much in it's OW as the formers recent sequel did total DOM.  Going the Top Gun route seems to pay off in anticipation where you do not have anything for 36 years rather than mediocre sequels over the years and a botched reboot.

If Ghostbusters II didn't keep that franchise from becoming as big as something like Top Gun or Beetlejuice, then it was definitely the failure of the reboot that did that. 

I'm sure Ghostbusters: Afterlife would've opened much higher had it been the first Ghostbusters movie since the second one and not since the reboot. I think that turned a proper legacy sequel to Ghostbusters as much less of an event than it otherwise would've been. Similar to how Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny wasn't that big of an event because they already did the legacy sequel trick with Kindgom of the Crystal Skull 15 years prior. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ryan C said:

If Ghostbusters II didn't keep that franchise from becoming as big as something like Top Gun or Beetlejuice, then it was definitely the failure of the reboot that did that. 

I'm sure Ghostbusters: Afterlife would've opened much higher had it been the first Ghostbusters movie since the second one and not since the reboot. I think that turned a proper legacy sequel to Ghostbusters as much less of an event than it otherwise would've been. Similar to how Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny wasn't that big of an event because they already did the legacy sequel trick with Kindgom of the Crystal Skull 15 years prior. 

I think the death of Harold Ramis put a damper on a lot of enthusiasm for a GB3

• Like 1

So the younger auds definitely showed up more over the weekend, though just a 6% share under 18 apparently (and I assume most of those were 13-17) so seems not the overwhelming family choice some anecdotal evidence indicated.

• Like 2