filmpalace

Weekend Thread | October 11 - 13

Only bummer is that WB's year is looking to pretty much end with Beetlejuice with Joker failing epically, the final Eastwood movie appearing to be dumped with no fanfare, and the Lord of the Rings cartoon unlikely to fare much better than Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Luckily they look to have a very promising slate set up for next year (including new films from notable directors much more dependable in delivering quality movies than Todd Phillips) so not too many tears need to be shed for them.

• Like 1

Why even remotely bother making films like Saturday Night or the Apprentice anymore? If you ain't go PLFs and a brand name there is zero point left. Conclave, Here, Brutalist, Anora all in for massive flops too. Eventually they are going to stop making these films. They capture no zeitgeist, they make no money, and awards don't matter. Frankly, I hope it just happens soon so I can stop giving a shit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 6

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Why even remotely bother making films like Saturday Night or the Apprentice anymore? If you ain't go PLFs and a brand name there is zero point left. Conclave, Here, Brutalist, Anora all in for massive flops too. Eventually they are going to stop making these films. They capture no zeitgeist, they make no money, and awards don't matter. Frankly, I hope it just happens soon so I can stop giving a shit.

Come on man. This is so needlessly myopic lol

• Like 10

Yeah, they've tried. They had billboards put up promoting Skye Riley's upcoming album (the fictional popstar protagonist of the movie) and have skyerileymusic.com as a promotional website, with accounts on X (twitter), Instagram, TikTok, Spotify & AppleMusic.

They've also done the creepy smiling people at events which they did for the first movie.

They did it at the VMAs and baseball games but none of it went viral like the first one.

Edited by JimmyB

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think Anora could do fine if Neon plays their cards right since it's looking to aim for a more social media friendly audience compared to the average awards contenders (which has worked in the past). Conclave and The Brutalist (especially with that runtime) aren't making much though, yeah.

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I mean Backstage entertainment movies are never big and nobody wants to see the movie about our dear future leader not the cult who see it as hit job nor us non cult who just wish he would vanish and we could go  back to normal. Not sure about the rest of those movies. Will cross that bridge when we get to it.

can someone explain "Terrifier 3 grossed an estimated $8.2M(incl preview) domestically on Friday"?
1. preview days were estimated around 2.7M so wouldn't that mean there was ~5.5M on friday?
2. is/will the preview (wednestday, thursday) of 2.7M be included to the weekend opening gross on boxofficemojo?

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Streaming services need content so they keep making adult movies but the days of these films making money in theaters is pretty much over.  If any of those films gross 20m domestic thats a huge win.  Theaters are more for theme park ride movies, group experience films like Terrifier.  Hopefully, studios will continue to give us a semi wide release for these type of films for the few that still like seeing them in theaters.  

• Like 2

So far in terms of the Zaslav-De Luca-Abdy WB regime, we’ve had:

- Beetlejuice: a big hit.

- Joker: a monster bomb.

- Trap: an ok money maker

- The Watchers: a flop that flew under the radar.

Are Mickey 17 and the Lord Of the Rings anime gonna be the last of the previous regime’s movies to be released? I know Alto Knights (the first greenlight under the new regime) is set for March.

I think one of my big issues with some of the posts on this site is that they’re unable to separate “movies as a product” from “movies as art”. I sincerely doubt Sean Baker made Anora for purely financial reasons, and he’s such a deeply humanist film-maker that I feel like his work is genuinely enriching to me as a viewer whenever I see something he cooks up. Just feels rather silly to say we should just stop making things that are culturally enriching because they’re not monetarily viable - and i’m a finance bro saying this lol

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

I think one of my big issues with some of the posts on this site is that they’re unable to separate “movies as a product” from “movies as art”. I sincerely doubt Sean Baker made Anora for purely financial reasons, and he’s such a deeply humanist film-maker that I feel like his work is genuinely enriching to me as a viewer whenever I see something he cooks up. Just feels rather silly to say we should just stop making things that are culturally enriching because they’re not monetarily viable - and i’m a finance bro saying this lol

Knowing cmaster, I don't think he meant that in a serious way. Sarcastic dooming is his brand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Oh, I mean, I obviously agree with you, but I don't think studios do. Anora making 25 mill back in 2019 vs 5 mill now is a huge difference to this even getting greenlit.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, speck said:

can someone explain "Terrifier 3 grossed an estimated $8.2M(incl preview) domestically on Friday"?
1. preview days were estimated around 2.7M so wouldn't that mean there was ~5.5M on friday?
2. is/will the preview (wednestday, thursday) of 2.7M be included to the weekend opening gross on boxofficemojo?

Yes, the “true Friday” number is $5.5 million. And the $2.7 million preview money will be included in the weekend total. 

1 minute ago, TMP said:

I mean I think Clay (and I) agree with you that a lot of these filmmakers don't care about the box office and, the two of us do love movies as an art form. But it does still kind of sting to see anything that isn't a nostalgic toy commercial tank left and right. And while it may be nice to think these non-NTC movies will still get made, the constant failures of these things, failures that are far outweighing the few hits we have, does bring into question whether these movies will even get greenlit in the first place.

I don't think it's dead forever like Clay's acting. A24's arguably now in the mainstream and Neon's finally getting some footing. But even then, it's something to be concerned about. Having only two studios and two sub-studios (Searchlight and Focus) make small movies isn't very viable for the indie scene. Because unless these movies do crazy well for PVOD or make huge numbers on streaming services (have doubts on either of these two)...well, I'd love for these movies to exist artistically. But how can they exist in our capitalist system that values profit above all else?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Knowing cmaster, I don't think he meant that in a serious way. Sarcastic dooming is his brand.

It's not sarcastic!!! I have intentionally not been negative for months and months but it's just too much to hide at this point. I am sick of watching everything I love and care about be wiped around. This world gets shittier and more filled with disgusting slop every day. I don't understand how people that love art, that love truth, that love empathy and humanity make it through these days. The world is becoming an unbearable place. Donald Trump is currently thriving in the polls as his supporters spread rumors about weather weapons and FEMA (he's going to win btw, just like I called on here in 2016). The Hollywood Reporter put out a story on "influences" being the new Hollywood. Podcasters are bigger movie stars than movie stars. I went to places like Capri and up the Willis Tower this summer and all anyone was doing was taking the same vapid pictures posing in the same way as suggested on Instagram. Everything sucks now. Dead ass serious.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1