filmpalace

Weekend Thread | October 11 - 13

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Saw Saturday Night and The Apprentice to do my part. Saturday Night I didn't really like much at all, nothing about it felt true (either factually or dramatically). Apprentice was actually quite good, Stan and Strong are both terrific in it.

What I was afraid Saturday Night would play like and as for the Apprentice just can not even stomach watching a movie about that shitbag even considering it's not flattering to him.

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

What I was afraid Saturday Night would play like and as for the Apprentice just can not even stomach watching a movie about that shitbag even considering it's not flattering to him.

Saturday Night is weird because it's a movie about Saturday Night Live that isn't funny and seems to hate Saturday Night Live and all the people that performed it?

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So the movie isn’t a hagiography?

Yeah, but it also isn't anything insightful about what it represents or any contradictions it presents in American society or any non-hagiographic examination would be either. It's just a collection of vaguely Sorkin-esque scenes.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

would saturday night have done better as a NBC film? Deadline's flagged that as a potential argument.

I would say so. If it was under Universal, you would have all that quality synergy that Sony can’t really offer. You have the Olympics promotion, NBC and Peacock pushes, one of the actors would host SNL itself. Uni is really darn good at using that kind of synergy. As good as Disney tbh

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

would saturday night have done better as a NBC film? Deadline's flagged that as a potential argument.

Yes it would've likely performed better opening weekend and had better marketing if it had been distributed by Universal that owns NBC but it also seems a problem is the film itself and it's approach which would've hurt it in the end no matter who distributed. That would've had to be a thing that's fixed during production. 

Saturday Night is good but the more someone knows about the history of SNL's beginnings (which, given that it's been on for 50 seasons and has evolved over the decades along with the changing times to the point that the show as it started is very much different from what it is today, likely isn't relevant to the demos that make up the modern moviegoing audience) the more they are likely to get out of it, so I'm not surprised it's flopping. But its briskly paced (does a good job feeling like it unfolds in real time) and everyone does a solid job of playing their real life counterparts, so it's easy to imagine it finding an audience at some point as a curious footnote in the history of a TV institution. 

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Went to see Anora as part of London Film Festival tonight and the cinema had extra security and you had to show them your phone (and any watches) switching off before going to your seat. 

No silent mode etc: completely off. 

Should employ that everywhere. 

That’s really hard to employ at a theater that sees thousands of customers a day

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

That’s really hard to employ at a theater that sees thousands of customers a day

Not just the amount but the extremely varying types of customers. We don't need to subject the staff to aggravated and belligerent customers who will reject this notion, there's many many people who do not treat minimum wage workers or even their fellow movie goers with any level of respect and the pay simply isn't enough to justify putting them through that for tons of customers every day. 

• Like 3

I hate phones in theaters as much as anyone but I think a film festival audience probably a lot more amenable to that kind of policy than your average sleepy multiplex.

Also reality now is emergencies happen and people want to have their phones handy just in case. And they probably do prevent a lot of tragedy that they might not have been able to 30 years ago.

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I hate phones in theaters as much as anyone but I think a film festival audience probably a lot more amenable to that kind of policy than your average sleepy multiplex.

Also reality now is emergencies happen and people want to have their phones handy just in case. And they probably do prevent a lot of tragedy that they might not have been able to 30 years ago.

Needing a phone 24/7 just in case an emergency happens is ridiculous though. In my day kids disappeared for hours with no contact with their parents and most of us survived…

• Like 1