Mojoguy

Weekend Thread | October 18-20 | 23M SMILE | 9.3M TERRIFIER

Decided to post a tiktok for the first time in months. Got over 300k views on it in just over 12 hours. Nice to know I still have it every once in a while :shades:

Because who would have thought Piece By Piece would become the movie that every single kid collectively buys tickets for in order to sneak into Terrifier?

Stole this comment from Reddit but this guy did the work of what is helping boost Anora's numbers.

Anora is fantastic and I'm thrilled for all its initial commercial success. However, box office analysts/commentators don't do enough to at least mention the various promos during opening weekend that can vastly boost the opening weekend performance when the movie is playing in just 5 or so theaters.

* Neon has Sean Baker (often with Mikey Madison) running ragged around NYC doing what must be approaching 10 different Q&A's at Lincoln Center and the Angelika. A typical platform release might have 1 or maybe 2 Q&A's. The last specialized release that was anywhere near as aggressive with appearances was Kinds of Kindness, which had various permutations of Yorgos, Emma, Willem, Joe and Jesse fanning out in NYC but even then they did maybe about 4-5 appearances, but that pales in comparison to what Sean Baker is doing this weekend. Selling out so many screenings (the Walter Reade at Lincoln Center seats almost 300) has an outsized impact on PTA when there are so few theaters being averaged.

* There were was at least 1 Wednesday screening which I presume has been rolled into the weekend numbers.

* At 35mm screenings, Neon was giving out souvenir film strips

* At early screenings, they gave out posters

Don't get me wrong - if the movie didn't have the goods, even the Palme d'or and various accolades couldn't get it to this weekend's fantastic PTA numbers, but there are things being done to goose these numbers.

• Like 1

By the by @M37, the top 3 adjusted Thanksgiving 5days are actually all from that era -- ts2 grinch sorcerers stones, bang bang bang all consecutive years. Will be interesting to see what breaks that trinity up after it's lasted 22 years

Edit: nvm, F2 dethroned them all and was just totally absent from the-numbers chart for mysterious reasons :hahaha:

I think those really are the next three down though, with a bar of ~125M to break them up

Edited by Cooper Legion