Mojoguy

Weekend Thread | October 18-20 | 23M SMILE | 9.3M TERRIFIER

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I can't believe Venom 3 is looking to open at double of Smile 2 next weekend despite its worn out, sleep inducing trailers. For all the talk of CBM fatigue, this 'wacky bro' brand of Deadpool/Venom seems to be holding up really well.

Sadly, they are...

Anyways, I just saw X tonight after watching Maxxxine and Pearl earlier this year. It was TOO good, like, whoa...liked it a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lory88 said:

Warner should have moved this complete disaster to January, and sent Mickey 17 to the Venice Film Festival. LOL.

From what we know Bong actually wanted Cannes, WB was the one that rejected his wishes and tested many different versions of the movie because, apparently, it doesn’t have that much broad appeal and the reception of the selected demo audiences was all over the place. All of this for Bong to have the final word on the cut anyway and the movie ended up in January.

Yet they never tested Joker 2, send it to Venice and fully support Todd Philips as this mad genius lol.

WB simply isn’t a trustworthy studio anymore when it comes to executive decisions. I’m certain that even if audiences ended up divided in Mickey 17, it would get good reviews, maybe even some award at festivals and not be this colossal embarassament they’re currently dealing.

18 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

From what we know Bong actually wanted Cannes, WB was the one that rejected his wishes and tested many different versions of the movie because, apparently, it doesn’t have that much broad appeal and the reception of the selected demo audiences was all over the place. All of this for Bong to have the final word on the cut anyway and the movie ended up in January.

Yet they never tested Joker 2, send it to Venice and fully support Todd Philips as this mad genius lol.

WB simply isn’t a trustworthy studio anymore when it comes to executive decisions. I’m certain that even if audiences ended up divided in Mickey 17, it would get good reviews, maybe even some award at festivals and not be this colossal embarassament they’re currently dealing.

This studio ain't gonna be around in 10 years.

Mini rant.  Joker 2 didnt sell one ticket at the 9:00pm IMAX screening last night at my local AMC.  That's a 400 seat auditorium empty. I see, Imax screens around me are honoring Joker's three week contract by giving the movie only one showing but one showing is to many.  Theaters need to work better with studios and have performance metrics in contracts so when a big tentpole complete bombs theaters can move other films into those lucrative PLFs.

Also, Gladiator should be opening over Veterans day weekend. Gladiator was shown early to theater owners and they supposedly loved it.  Theaters should have worked with Universal to find a better spot to open the film to maximize PLFs profits.  IDK, Netflix said they would never have an ad supported Plan, they adjusted to the changing business model and just had another record earning QTR. Theaters need to maximize these PLFs screens and not be tied down by these old school contracts. 

Edited by JimmyB

Theater chains just don't have a whole lot of negotiating leverage with bigger studios. I'm sure they'd love to be able to drop movies whenever they feel like it, but the mainstream studios have the money to strong arm them into long term PLF contracts.

Edited by AniNate

16 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Theater chains just don't have a whole lot of negotiating leverage with bigger studios. I'm sure they'd love to be able to drop movies whenever they feel like it, but the mainstream studios have the money to strong arm them into long term PLF contracts.

Then they should kick WBD in the crotch. They won't have that money for long at this rate.

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I would rather they not, and I don't think that would be a whole lot of leverage anyway if WBD truly doesn't care about it either.

Gotta start somewhere. Obviously something like Deadpool 3 or Beetlejuice 2 would be a bad place to send a message but these lovely new hyperwarp IMAX 3D Dolby whatever theaters desperately need content that's not a literal corpse like Joker 2. 3 weeks guaranteed is idiotic.