Noctis

Avengers: $18.7m!

I agree about the midnight comparison, but over the course of the weekend I expect the 3D share will improve. Kids are the driving force behind the format and they're going to be a huge part of the audience after midnights.

I'll be impressed if this goes over 50%.

I'm going to guess 50%. That's about a 15% boost to the total dollar gross.

Admittedly, I'm no expert when it comes to 3D effects on box office receipts but...I don't get the 15% thing. What am I doing wrong here?50m tickets50% 3D = 25m ticketsSo 25m x $8.00(reg avg) = $200m25m x $13.00(avg 3D price) = $325mTotal = $525m(31% boost) :huh:

• Founder / Operator

I'm guessing the 3D share winds up around 53-55% for this weekend. TF3 did about 60%, so more is possible but I think TF3 had more exclusive 3D offerings and benefited from the hype of having actually been filmed instead of converted.

Edited by ShawnMR

Admittedly, I'm no expert when it comes to 3D effects on box office receipts but...I don't get the 15% thing. What am I doing wrong here?50m tickets50% 3D = 25m ticketsSo 25m x $8.00(reg avg) = $200m25m x $13.00(avg 3D price) = $325mTotal = $525m(31% boost) :huh:

I don't think the average 3D ticket is that much.

• Founder / Operator

When they report the shares, most sources are using the revenue share and not the ticket share.Also, from what I've seen the average 3D surcharge is around $3-4. IMAX tricks that up though because its more expensive than anything -- but they also don't charge extra for 3D usually. Edited by ShawnMR

• Founder / Operator

I must say.. bravo Shawn, no crashes yet despite massive users online.The forum is gonna be too tough to keep up with this weekend... not even gonna bother trying to read the pages I missed.

Thanks, aDIM. Our move to Boxoffice has already paid off huge dividends today. We'd be down indefinitely were it not for the server upgrade.

I must say.. bravo Shawn, no crashes yet despite massive users online.The forum is gonna be too tough to keep up with this weekend... not even gonna bother trying to read the pages I missed.

I agree it's like jump rope you just dive right in.

Admittedly, I'm no expert when it comes to 3D effects on box office receipts but...

I don't get the 15% thing. What am I doing wrong here?

50m tickets

50% 3D = 25m tickets

So 25m x $8.00(reg avg) = $200m

25m x $13.00(avg 3D price) = $325m

Total = $525m(31% boost)

:huh:

That's what I used to do as well AA. Apparently, when the industry talks about 3D shares they're referring to gross shares. When they say 50% 3D share, they mean 50% of the GROSS was in 3D.

To me, it always made sense to break it down by admissions, as you're doing, but that doesn't seem to be the way Hollywood does it.

3rd Friday Sellout Report for NoVA/DC Metro/MD, as of 3:00PM EST, May 4th

Posted Image

26 sellouts and 627 showtimes now

Is that good,bad,what??