CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

Wow. This is insane. The backlash will only increase from here on out. I know, because I already feel so.

And we all know how much the internet backlash has hurt Titanic and Avatar and The Dark Knight :lol:

And we all know how much the internet backlash has hurt Titanic and Avatar and The Dark Knight :lol:

I don't mean in box office. It's 90% going to beat Avatar first run with a $105m second weekend. I can't see it dropping more than 35% next weekend and the same amount for Memorial, even if it drops 40% next weekend and 33% the week after you get another $105.210m throw in another $100m for weekdays and Memorial Monday and you get $575m by the end of Memorial Weekend.Maybe $100m for those weekdays is a lot, or it's under don't care for that math.I meant perceptions. You're never going to please everybody, that's guaranteed, but the more people that clamour "best movie ever" as were the chants for all the greatest, biggest films, the more backlash, it's nature. Rip on me all you want, but had this ended over TDK at #3 with...what does it need to beat it ? $550m ? I'd be OK, because it's good enough for that IMO and TDK is overrated anyway. And even though it's better than Avatar which surely doesn't deserve $750m I just wouldn't like to see the standard of very good be good enough. For all the rights Whedon did, he included some, again IMO, big cliche snafus that should not have been in there.Since TDKR seems to be the only candidate that has a chance of topping at least $550m this year, I shall hope it is fantastic and see it try valiantly to beat the Avengers.

I know you mean perception. But for as much as people on the internet bitch about Titanic or Avatar or TDK's faults, those movies are still viewed as classics and owned and loved by almost everyone with a TV. Internet backlash is inevitable, it's the very nature of the internetAnd I'm assuming the cliche you're referring to is

the aliens having a hivemind and dying with their mothership. Yeah it's kind of cliche, but so what? Would scenes of the Avengers rounding up the last few aliens really have improved the movie? That'd be incredibly pointless.

I don't mean in box office. It's 90% going to beat Avatar first run with a $105m second weekend. I can't see it dropping more than 35% next weekend and the same amount for Memorial, even if it drops 40% next weekend and 33% the week after you get another $105.210m throw in another $100m for weekdays and Memorial Monday and you get $575m by the end of Memorial Weekend.Maybe $100m for those weekdays is a lot, or it's under don't care for that math.I meant perceptions. You're never going to please everybody, that's guaranteed, but the more people that clamour "best movie ever" as were the chants for all the greatest, biggest films, the more backlash, it's nature. Rip on me all you want, but had this ended over TDK at #3 with...what does it need to beat it ? $550m ? I'd be OK, because it's good enough for that IMO and TDK is overrated anyway. And even though it's better than Avatar which surely doesn't deserve $750m I just wouldn't like to see the standard of very good be good enough. For all the rights Whedon did, he included some, again IMO, big cliche snafus that should not have been in there.Since TDKR seems to be the only candidate that has a chance of topping at least $550m this year, I shall hope it is fantastic and see it try valiantly to beat the Avengers.

No, it's not nature. And I think THE AVENGERS is so fucking amazing and yeah, such a "best movie ever" that we end up with a very tame and controlled number of "haters". The World love the Earth's Mightiest Heroes. It has a cool ring to it, don't you think? Edited by iJackSparrow

I meant perceptions. You're never going to please everybody, that's guaranteed, but the more people that clamour "best movie ever" as were the chants for all the greatest, biggest films, the more backlash, it's nature. Rip on me all you want, but had this ended over TDK at #3 with...what does it need to beat it ? $550m ? I'd be OK, because it's good enough for that IMO and TDK is overrated anyway. And even though it's better than Avatar which surely doesn't deserve $750m I just wouldn't like to see the standard of very good be good enough.

I'm sure if something like The Social Network somehow grossed $750 million there'd still be people making those same exact complaints. You're right, you're never going to please everyone. And the more popular a film gets the louder the detractors will get. I for one love Avatar and think it's totally deserving of the number 1 spot, and I also enjoyed The Avengers and wouldn't care where it ended up as it's already a rousing success.Everything is going to be just "very good" to someone, but going by the general reaction and RT score The Avengers got it seems most are comfortable raising it to the level of "great". Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

I'm sure if something like The Social Network somehow grossed $750 million there'd still be people making those same exact complaints. You're right, you're never going to please everyone. And the more popular a film gets the louder the detractors will get. I for one love Avatar and think it's totally deserving of the number 1 spot, and I also enjoyed The Avengers and wouldn't care where it ended up as it's already a rousing success.Everything is going to be just "very good" to someone, and going by the general reaction and RT score The Avengers got it seems most are comfortable raising it to the level of "great".

Well said.

I'm sure if something like The Social Network somehow grossed $750 million there'd still be people making those same exact complaints. You're right, you're never going to please everyone. And the more popular a film gets the louder the detractors will get. I for one love Avatar and think it's totally deserving of the number 1 spot, and I also enjoyed The Avengers and wouldn't care where it ended up as it's already a rousing success.Everything is going to be just "very good" to someone, but going by the general reaction and RT score The Avengers got it seems most are comfortable raising it to the level of "great".

Yes but there's a line here. There are movies that make a lot of cash and are just fucking awful. The brilliant part of THE AVENGERS is that it's like a comic book movie brought to life and every single damn person in the World, from the general audience to the critics and even haters are falling in love with. I don't remember anyone ever saying, not even online, how much they "hated" the movie. It always starts with the ""it's goood but" when it comes to them.When the best the detractors can do is to admit that "it's good but" about a movie, I believe that the movie is not only loved and liked by those that fucking in love with it, but even by the ones who "hate" it. This movie must be doing something right for getting this kind of praise, and anyone who has watch it knows what I mean, even the ones with "minor", "major" or nitpicky criticisms know that. Hate towards this movie has been pretty tame online and non-existent irl because you kind of throw your credibility away if you say that it's a bad movie. That's not an easy feat for a movie to achieve on my book. Edited by iJackSparrow

"The brilliant part of THE AVENGERS is that it's like a comic book movie brought to life and every single damn person in the World, from the general audience to the critics and even haters are falling in love with"

Now you're just being retarded.

"Hate towards this movie has been pretty tame online and non-existent irl because you kind of throw your credibility away if you say that it's a bad movie."

Lol, right. I guarantee you there'll be more criticism as time goes on, just as it was with TDK, Avatar, Inception and really most of hyped movies. Because the thing about hype is that it tends to wear off. I remember how shortly after TDK came out the internet community was giving Nolan one big collective blowjob. Now it isn't hard to come across people saying that they're indifferent to it or straight up dislike it. Same situation will happen with Avengers, it's just a matter of time.

Of course I'm only speaking from past experience as I have no intention of actually watching it. Here goes your "every single damn person in the World" claim.

I know you mean perception. But for as much as people on the internet bitch about Titanic or Avatar or TDK's faults, those movies are still viewed as classics and owned and loved by almost everyone with a TV. Internet backlash is inevitable, it's the very nature of the internetAnd I'm assuming the cliche you're referring to is

the aliens having a hivemind and dying with their mothership. Yeah it's kind of cliche, but so what? Would scenes of the Avengers rounding up the last few aliens really have improved the movie? That'd be incredibly pointless.

I think we agree.

Also, no, but for the first alien invasion, for most people, there surely should be more of an aftermath. I think just simply showing one or two shots of surrender would be enough for us to assume that there would have been some sort of consequence. As it stands, the villains are machines, easily deactivated and hardly a discourage for any potential villain or a signal of strength. They should have just launched a nuke and have Iron Man send it up as the portal opened since it was so simple.

I'm sure if something like The Social Network somehow grossed $750 million there'd still be people making those same exact complaints. You're right, you're never going to please everyone. And the more popular a film gets the louder the detractors will get. I for one love Avatar and think it's totally deserving of the number 1 spot, and I also enjoyed The Avengers and wouldn't care where it ended up as it's already a rousing success.Everything is going to be just "very good" to someone, but going by the general reaction and RT score The Avengers got it seems most are comfortable raising it to the level of "great".

Personally I don't really think anything deserves that amount of money. Of course once one movie breaks a barrier, then it's more justifiable for better movies to get closer to it. Just how I think. I agree with everything else you're saying so not much else for me to say. My initial point is the point both you and Chewy made except for the fact I said IMO I don't think Avengers deserves #1. It's just like coming up with #1 movie of all time, how can you really say one is better than another? It comes down to personal preferences once you get onto another level.

"The brilliant part of THE AVENGERS is that it's like a comic book movie brought to life and every single damn person in the World, from the general audience to the critics and even haters are falling in love with"

Now you're just being retarded.

"Hate towards this movie has been pretty tame online and non-existent irl because you kind of throw your credibility away if you say that it's a bad movie."

Lol, right. I guarantee you there'll be more criticism as time goes on, just as it was with TDK, Avatar, Inception and really most of hyped movies. Because the thing about hype is that it tends to wear off. I remember how shortly after TDK came out the internet community was giving Nolan one big collective blowjob. Now it isn't hard to come across people saying that they're indifferent to it or straight up dislike it. Same situation will happen with Avengers, it's just a matter of time.

Of course I'm only speaking from past experience as I have no intention of actually watching it. Here goes your "every single damn person in the World" claim.

The ignore function is your friend, Bitcher.

I think you'll find it's called a hyperbole -_-

Oh, really? Well, I think it's a wrongly applied one.

The ignore function is your friend, Bitcher.

Nah, I dont like using it.

Edited by Bitcher

I think we agree.

Also, no, but for the first alien invasion, for most people, there surely should be more of an aftermath. I think just simply showing one or two shots of surrender would be enough for us to assume that there would have been some sort of consequence. As it stands, the villains are machines, easily deactivated and hardly a discourage for any potential villain or a signal of strength. They should have just launched a nuke and have Iron Man send it up as the portal opened since it was so simple.

I guess we do agree on the backlash in a way.

Yeah but they didn't know about the hivemind thing, so they couldn't have just launched a nuke. As for discouraging villains, how many people are actually going to be aware of the nuke? It's not like people were standing around filming, they were running for their life. And the government isn't about to announce that it launched a nuke on a populated area. So as far as fictional villains in this universe know there was no nuke and the aliens were simply beaten by the Avengers

I hate the Community guy responsible for the creation of the abortion known as Miles Morales but... THIS.

OK, well I am certainly glad that you aren't racist, but you can't really blame Donald Glover for what happened.Yes, from everything I heard, the "Donald for Spider-Man" campain inspired Bendis create this new guy, but that was just something that was started by fans that he(Donald) jumped aboard. I thought he would have made a fantastic Peter Parker and he has some charisma to spare.