CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

It doesn't work like that.The Hunger Games has had extraordinary legs and we still have it at my theater. But, it is dropping down to two shows this weekend. It will make 2 months playing which is amazing in my opinion. However, it didn't have summer season to compete with. Each week Avengers will have more and more movies coming out, so far it has withstood the test, but it won't last all summer. Not by a long shot.

Well, I could be wrong. Let's see how it goes.

Well, I could be wrong. Let's see how it goes.

Rallax is right. I work at a movie theater too. THG is on the smallest screen right now with about 5 showings. I expect it to either leave entirely or share a screen with another movie to make room for The Dictator and Battleship this week. The fact its lasted this long is a testament to its late legs and the fact that April was very weak. That won't be the case for The Avengers with big movies coming out every week that will demand screens and push TA from more and more screens and theaters.I expect it to have a great run over the next month and a half, but expecting it to still be making a lot of cash come July is wishful thinking.
  • Like 1

I'm all for Avengers talk but since this is Weekend totals thread the amazing thing is that 8 weeks later The Hunger Games is #4 in the top 10.Those are some impressive legs, the movie I mean. ;)

In the past decade, only Avatar, TDK, and now THG have managed 8 weekends in the top 4. (Will TA join that club?)

Rallax is right. I work at a movie theater too. THG is on the smallest screen right now with about 5 showings. I expect it to either leave entirely or share a screen with another movie to make room for The Dictator and Battleship this week. The fact its lasted this long is a testament to its late legs and the fact that April was very weak. That won't be the case for The Avengers with big movies coming out every week that will demand screens and push TA from more and more screens and theaters.I expect it to have a great run over the next month and a half, but expecting it to still be making a lot of cash come July is wishful thinking.

Wishful thinking it is, then. :PI just think this could have insane legs and still be on theaters when TASM and TDKR come. I could be wrong, but what if it comes July and there's still a demand? The scenario I'm imagining is TA staying on theaters out of public demand. Let's see what happens. :)

I post there too but only in the XMen forums.

Cool!

SHH is a mad house. I use forums for years and never seen something quite like that place. The hate going on there is virtually exclusive from theTDKR boards, there is even a mod there covering tracks for TDKR trolls (not fans, trolls, people that log in there everyday just to constantly bad mouth the movie) and banning the TA fans that try to argue back, while nothing happens to the TDKR fans. Since I was banned there for this very reason, the mod is also gone. At least my ban served for that, it could've been worse.You should check out the comicbookresources boards, it's a much healthier environment.

I like posting on the TDKR forums, they're okay. Don't know how they were back then during your time posting. Speaking of which, the funny thing is that, before it multiplied into a big TDKR board, SHH started simply as a Spider-Man film forum some few years back.And I do also post in CBR :)

Wishful thinking it is, then. :PI just think this could have insane legs and still be on theaters when TASM and TDKR come. I could be wrong, but what if it comes July and there's still a demand? The scenario I'm imagining is TA staying on theaters out of public demand. Let's see what happens. :)

It would have to start having sub 30% drops this weekend for that to be a remote possibility.TDK got to $500m in 45 days, then spent the next 4 months eeking out another 33m. That was only possible because of Sep/Oct being the dumping grounds for movies that nobody wants to see.

It would have to start having sub 30% drops this weekend for that to be a remote possibility.TDK got to $500m in 45 days, then spent the next 4 months eeking out another 33m. That was only possible because of Sep/Oct being the dumping grounds for movies that nobody wants to see.

TA and TDK are very different beasts. TA is a family film, it could get to share sessions with TASM and TDK through the summer. I don't know exactly how it works in USA, but haven't movies stuck around all through the summer before? I could see TA sticking around in the top 10 movies through all the summer, but maybe that's just me. And I think 30% drop next weekend is a wild, unlikely but still possible guess.

Cool!I like posting on the TDKR forums, they're okay. Don't know how they were back then during your time posting. Speaking of which, the funny thing is that, before it multiplied into a big TDKR board, SHH started simply as a Spider-Man film forum some few years back.And I do also post in CBR :)

Welcome to the forums, and CBR is a joke.

TA and TDK are very different beasts. TA is a family film, it could get to share sessions with TASM and TDK through the summer. I don't know exactly how it works in USA, but haven't movies stuck around all through the summer before? I could see TA sticking around in the top 10 movies through all the summer, but maybe that's just me. And I think 30% drop next weekend is a wild, unlikely but still possible guess.

Yeah, but there will be newer family films to go see, Madagascar 3, Brave, TASM, Ice Age 4. Not to mention tons of 3D movies that will be taking those precious screens away.
  • Like 1

Not ones that were released in the first week of May. Too many movies are coming out, it's not the 90's anymore where that type of thing was possible.

Yeah, but there will be newer family films to go see, Madagascar 3, Brave, TASM, Ice Age 4. Not to mention tons of 3D movies that will be taking those precious screens away.

I'm still not entirely convinced these precious screens won't have to share their ratio of screenings with TA, and that's my point. I still think it's on the realm of possibility theaters playing TA, TASM and TDKR at the same time on several locations.

I'm still not entirely convinced these precious screens won't have to share their ratio of screenings with TA, and that's my point. I still think it's on the realm of possibility theaters playing TA, TASM and TDKR at the same time on several locations.

Then I will stop wasting my time with you then!I love The Avengers and want it to make a ton of cash also(more than you do), but there comes a point when you have to realize that it has done very well for itself and surprised the entire world. It won't need to play all summer long, it will make it's mark and then leave. That is the nature of the business in 2012.
  • Like 3

Then I will stop wasting my time with you then!I love The Avengers and want it to make a ton of cash also(more than you do), but there comes a point when you have to realize that it has done very well for itself and surprised the entire world. It won't need to play all summer long, it will make it's mark and then leave. That is the nature of the business in 2012.

I can't predict the future. Maybe the World ends today and there's no more anything. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. It's simple. Am I disrespecting you with my crazy hopes or what? Calm down. :P

What's been released on June 8th?

it'll stay number one until Memorial Weekend, then:1) MIB2) AvengersJune 1st:1) Snow White2) MIB3) TAJune 8th1) Madagascar2) Prometheus3) Snow White4) MIB5) TA