Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

The funny thing is that they do this to protect Ghibli movies when Miyazaki is a notorious leftist and anti-nationalist

At this point I consider Spirited Away's run tainted since Frozen will be having its legs cut off early by video release. There is no such thing as competition for a record when you kneecap anyone before they can get close to you. <_<

There is no such thing as a democratic country, nowhere in the world.

But I do agree that some are less democratic than others.

Switzerland is democratic, or as reasonably close as you can get.

Edited by Cynosure

At this point I consider Spirited Away's run tainted since Frozen will be having its legs cut off early by video release. There is no such thing as competition for a record when you kneecap anyone before they can get close to you. <_<

reminds me of Tanya Harding kneecapping Nancy Kerrigan just before the olympics Edited by T E Lawrence

:WHATanabe:

Every film has different circumstances.

Also, everyone's still making hella assumptions in this thread.

Every film has different circumstances.

I would be way more impressed with Spirited Away's record, if Frozen had also gotten a 9 month run but couldn't beat the record. This isn't me hating on SA, just the obvious advantage that SA had compared to Frozen. <_<

Remember, the protectionist speculation is, as far as we know, just speculation. Kneecapping your opponent is one thing, but it's something else entirely when your opponent draws a gun, takes careful aim at their own foot, and pulls the trigger.

Also, everyone's still making hella assumptions in this thread.

Good point. Disney did not respond to any of us because they probably aren't sure about the home video release themselves in Japan.

Was there an official announcement from Disney of the home video release ?

Amazon Japan is selling a lot of imported stuff but this doesn't mean the original release is near: http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/377-5822715-7964247?__mk_ja_JP=%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%8A&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=frozen+dvd

How reliable are Amazon Japan Blu-ray/DVD release dates when they announce it on the website?

Edited by Annayya

Good point. Disney did not respond to any of us because they probably aren't sure about the home video release themselves in Japan.

Was there an official announcement from Disney of the home video release ?

Amazon Japan is selling a lot of imported stuff but this doesn't mean the original release is near: http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/377-5822715-7964247?__mk_ja_JP=%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%8A&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=frozen+dvd

How reliable are Amazon Japan Blu-ray/DVD release dates when they announce it on the website?

http://ugc.disney.co.jp/blog/movie/category/anayuki

I'd guess that Disney Japan is their own division, and will make the calls about such things since they are generally the ones with the most knowledge about the local market. They would probably have consultation of International Distribution, though.

For all the doom and gloom scenarios, there might be other, entirely sunny ones. Sure, it could end on 7/16, and then show up again a few days or a week later, so that SA's first run gross can remain intact, though Frozen will eventually eclipse it.

Or maybe Disney has to release the video in mid-July due to contractual arrangements and are looking for ways to maximize the box office before that happens. By saying that the theatrical run is going to end, they could start advertising for people to watch it in theaters, before it's gone for good. (This is basically the same strategy as the Disney Vault. Or the limited engagement that led to Hannah Montana doing bonzo business its opening weekend.)

Or perhaps there's something else entirely. The report could be bullshit. After all, 7/16 is a Wednesday, which seems a completely illogical day to end a theatrical run. Why not the 18th?

Basically, stop making assumptions and wait until there's more concrete news. Oh, and don't go laying blame in against all of Japan. It's frankly kinda racist.

Now onto more happy topics, like Murgatroyd's charts. Those are always great to see each week. Can we expect them soon?