Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Actuals for DBZ: 2364976 admissions, 3,113 BYen, a bit lower than estimates (avg TP 1316 yen)

Actuals for FF7: 1851971 admissions, 2,567 BYen in line with estimates (avg TP 1386 yen)

Cinderella is at 2,9BYen (2,3M adm) and Conan 3,5BYen (2,82M adm)

Edited by edroger

Thr/Fri estimates, Cinderella still easily #1, already outpaced Maleficent total over week 3 (in Yen)

Movie           FF7      DBZ    Conan    Cindy

Today MYn     58,69    32,96    43,73    97,06
Today  M$     0,493    0,277    0,367    0,815

Total MYn  2.625,69 3.145,96 3.543,73 3.017,06
Total  M$     22,06    26,43    29,77    25,34

• Like 3

As a Cinderella fan I have to ask, Is Cinderella's success due to the Frozen short attached? Or are people really liking Cinderella?

It's probably both. Maleficent also did very well, as did Alice. These Disney live actions are pretty solid in Japan.

• Like 1

Anyone knows how much money Cinderella as grossed so far in dollar?!

Around $27m?

As a Cinderella fan I have to ask, Is Cinderella's success due to the Frozen short attached? Or are people really liking Cinderella?

Frozen short is definitely helping it, but I think they like Cinderella too. And lately, Disney in general. The biggest Hollywood movies in the last 3 years?

1. Frozen - 25.5b

2. Big Hero 6 - 9.2b

3. Monster's University - 8.9b

4. Maleficent - 6.5b

5. Les Miserables - 5.9b

As you can see, Disney really dominates Japanese market for Hollywood releases. And Cinderella will likely be #6 or 5 if it has great legs.

• Like 2

Around $27m?

Frozen short is definitely helping it, but I think they like Cinderella too. And lately, Disney in general. The biggest Hollywood movies in the last 3 years?

1. Frozen - 25.5b

2. Big Hero 6 - 9.2b

3. Monster's University - 8.9b

4. Maleficent - 6.5b

5. Les Miserables - 5.9b

As you can see, Disney really dominates Japanese market for Hollywood releases. And Cinderella will likely be #6 or 5 if it has great legs.

Thank you. Do you think Cinderella as any chance in passing Maleficent 63 million total gross?

Thank you. Do you think Cinderella as any chance in passing Maleficent 63 million total gross?

In dollar, I don't think so. Because with current rates it has to make 7.5b yen. That's not impossible, but it would need some crazy legs. But I think it still has a chance to pass Maleficent in yen, even though it's gonna be hard.

In dollar, I don't think so. Because with current rates it has to make 7.5b yen. That's not impossible, but it would need some crazy legs. But I think it still has a chance to pass Maleficent in yen, even though it's gonna be hard.

But do you have any prediction? Could Cinderella ultimately reach 50 million dollars at least? I thought the film was having a much stronger performance, given the fact it's the golden week...

Corpse

Weekend Ranking (05/09-10)

166204_4.jpg

01 (01) Cinderella (Disney) Week 3
02 (04) Biri Gal (Toho) Week 2
03 (02) Detective Conan: Sunflowers of Inferno (Toho) Week 4
04 (06) Furious 7 (Toho-Towa) Week 5
05 (03) Dragon Ball Z: Revival of F (Toei) Week 4
06 (--) Poison Berry in My Head (Toho) DEBUT
07 (05) Crayon Shin-chan: My Moving Story! Cactus Large Attack! (Toho) Week 4
08 (08) Ryozu and the Seven Henchmen (Warner Bros.) Week 3
09 (07) Parasyte (Part 2) (Toho) Week 3
10 (09) Focus (Warner Bros.) Week 2

So after a strong Spring and the Golden Week holiday frame, we ow enter May and June, two of the weakest months of the year.

>Cinderella had no problem retaining its hold atop the box-office for a third-consecutive week. The reigning box-office champ earned ¥322 million ($2.7 million) in its third weekend, down a respectable 37% in its post-Golden Week weekend. And after three weeks in release, has exceeded ¥3.3 billion ($28 million) with 2.67 million admissions.

It's going to finish around 25% below Maleficent (closer to 20% in admissions), but without a major star in the lead, it's nothing to be too disappointed about, especially if it manages to reach the ¥5 billion milestone (blockbuster status).

>Biri Gal surprises in its debut last weekend, and does so again in its second weekend. The surprise hit rose two spots delivering the best hold in the Top 10, despite opening over Golden Week. It's very common for films that open during Golden Week to crash thereafter, but the weekdays and this weekend have been very strong for this one.

Biri Gal has exceeded ¥1.2 billion ($10 million) and is just a few thousand admissions away from reaching 1 million admissions after two weeks in release. I mentioned last week that it'd probably finish around ¥1.5 billion, but with the strong post-Golden Week performance so far, it's probably going to end up closer to ¥2 billion. Quite impressive.

>Detective Conan: Sunflowers of Inferno slips to third place in its fourth week of release, and brought its running total above ¥3.7 billion ($31 million) and hit 3 million admissions over the weekend in the process.

It has posted the highest opening weekend and 2/3/4-week totals in the franchise's history, and should finish pretty close to ¥4.5 billion and 3.5 million admissions. The growth of this franchise these past few years has been impressive as it's nearing blockbuster territory now.

>Poison Berry in My Head misses the Top 5, earning ¥123,171,300 ($1.0 million) with 90,417 admissions across 316 screens over the weekend.

There wasn't much expectations for this film (being a far less popular Josei manga adaptation) and an opening of this level on 300+ screens is poor, but at least broke the ¥100 million mark. There are likely to be many openers like this until we reach July.
  • Like 3

According to Corpse DBZ was already at ¥3.28 billion by Sunday and that figure was an actual so ¥3.25 billion by Wednesday makes no sense.

he provides a guide. its better than nothing during the week. not always exact but close enough.

no need to fuss over minute discrepancies

the world is not going to end

chill