Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Just now, Foul01 said:

How do you read the numbers on http://mimorin2014.blog.fc2.com/ ?

最新デイリーランキング is only for today?
and which one do we take into account as the actual total tickets sold? 最新デイリーランキング or AEONを含む最新ランキング?

and how do we convert the number of tickets sold into box office gross? 

I also don't know the difference so I post both haha :lol: but I believe AEON is total admissions for the day. Oh and welcome to the forums! Good to have you ;)

8 minutes ago, Foul01 said:

and which one do we take into account as the actual total tickets sold? 最新デイリーランキング or AEONを含む最新ランキング?

Neither gives the actual total. It only reports from a sample of Japanese cinema chains. The one labeled AEON includes the biggest theater chain in Japan, which is AEON, and that number is about 65% of the overall total.

AEON at 4:46 PM JST 

*1 *87692 ズートピア
 *2 *83632 名探偵コナン2016 純黒の…
 *3 *52878 シビル・ウォー キャプテン・…
 *4 *45959 クレヨンしんちゃん 2016…

Tight race. The gap has actually increased slightly. 

*1 *60563 ズートピア
 *2 *58120 名探偵コナン2016 純黒の…
 *3 *42005 シビル・ウォー キャプテン・…
 *4 *29399 クレヨンしんちゃん 2016…

I need to stop posting and sleep...

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Still very uncertain, actually.

Zootopia declines on average 30% domestically,
by the end of its run, it should have around $340~$350 million domestic gross... that's around $22~$32 million more to come

I would think foreign box office outside of Japan should at least add another $5 million (being very pessimistic)

so Japan would need to gross (1000 mil - $916 mil - $22 mil - $5 mil) = $57 million to ensure Zootopia crosses the Billion mark (or less, if the domestic and other foreign countries manage to do better than i predicted)

considering even Big Hero 6 made $76 million in Japan, i think its very possible especially considering Zootopia is in the top 2 Japan box office now.

not guaranteed yet, but very possible

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Foul01 said:

21 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

$2.4 to 2.7m depending how evening finishes ant ticket price

As of 20:35

Adm/UL x TixPr/XR

Conan  123,845/.63 x 1300 /107.09=$2.478m

Zoo       118,402/.63 x 1350/107.09=$2.369m

CA3       112,100/.63 x 1550/107.09=$2.575m

The admissions are from 63% of cinemas(UL usual locations) +/-2%

Ticket prices vary based on age and type of movie from 1100¥($10) to 1800¥($16.50).

We determine average ticket price from past data. 3d has a 350¥ surcharge and the average is generally 15% greater over all. The XR is currently 107.09¥ to $1. 

Formula above. Pull out your abacus and fire away!

Tomorrow is national discount day. 1st of every month. All tix for all age groups are 1100. 3d surcharge still applies

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Foul01 said:

considering even Big Hero 6 made $76 million in Japan, i think its very possible especially considering Zootopia is in the top 2 Japan box office now.

I wouldn't say "even Big Hero 6" because that movie was a huge, extremely leggy hit in Japan, grossing over ¥9B, while Zootopia still has to show us what it can do (and has gotten off to a slower start in this market so far).  Out of all of WDAS' (Disney Animation's) animated features, only Frozen has grossed more, and out of Pixar's only three have grossed more (in yen).  The latter group does not include Inside Out, which grossed well under half of what Big Hero 6 grossed in Japan despite easily grossing more domestically and worldwide.  At this point, we can only hope that Zootopia is able to match that performance, much less expect it to.

12 minutes ago, Foul01 said:

Absolutely possible, but still looks to be close, either way, unless Zootopia really breaks out (still looking for signs of that).

2 hours ago, Foul01 said:

Zootopia declines on average 30% domestically,
by the end of its run, it should have around $340~$350 million domestic gross... that's around $22~$32 million more to come

I would think foreign box office outside of Japan should at least add another $5 million (being very pessimistic)

so Japan would need to gross (1000 mil - $916 mil - $22 mil - $5 mil) = $57 million to ensure Zootopia crosses the Billion mark (or less, if the domestic and other foreign countries manage to do better than i predicted)

$5M for OS-Japan is too little. It earned $8.2M just last weekend. Japan doesn't need more than $50M for Zootopia to reach $1B. And depending on how well the rest of the world holds, it might need even less.

• Like 3

As of 8 pm (local time) - 2/3 of the market

100,460 Conan
*99,486 Zootopia
*73,511  Civil War

As usual, Zootopia lost its lead because of its weak evening business. Conan should now extend its lead on Zootopia for the rest of the evening and Civil War should start catching up on Zootopia and Conan.

1 hour ago, Quigley said:

$5M for OS-Japan is too little. It earned $8.2M just last weekend. Japan doesn't need more than $50M for Zootopia to reach $1B. And depending on how well the rest of the world holds, it might need even less.

where do you find that information?

the only number i can find is domestic box office broken down by weeks, cant seem to find a source with foreign box office by weeks.

and does the $8.2M include the $4M from Japan?

19 minutes ago, Foul01 said:

where do you find that information?

the only number i can find is domestic box office broken down by weeks, cant seem to find a source with foreign box office by weeks.

and does the $8.2M include the $4M from Japan?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&wk=2016W17&id=disney2016.htm

$12.2M total minus $4M from Japan.

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

1st of the month+Sunday+Golden Week=Fucking Madness

That made laugh. You should have been around for Frozen. Read the thread from April 28th thru may 5th 2014. I thought the same thing then. Madness

There werent 20m updates then, 50 members would join the thread  at 1AM ET for the 3 chains to report the 1400 numbers 5 minutes a part. It occurred to me that a few billion watch the world Cup and the Olympics and none of them would know or care about the details we knew of GW frozen. That was more fun than those sporting events. And like sporting events a few of us got emotional. Fucking Madness!

7 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

That made laugh. You should have been around for Frozen. Read the thread from April 28th thru may 5th 2014. I thought the same thing then. Madness

There werent 20m updates then, 50 members would join the thread  at 1AM ET for the 3 chains to report the 1400 numbers 5 minutes a part. It occurred to me that a few billion watch the world Cup and the Olympics and none of them would know or care about the details we knew of GW frozen. That was more fun than those sporting events. And like sporting events a few of us got emotional. Fucking Madness!

Ah, yes. Well, probably nothing will compare with Frozen.

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

But seriously guys. Zootopia is most likely going to sell twice as many tickets on Sunday as today. Look at the Toho listings in Tokyo.

Maybe the WOM wave gains momentum tomorrow as Conan burns off demand.  Important to build thru the week.

Wed is ladies day and a holiday. It should beat Conan handily. More fucking madness.