Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

6 minutes ago, Jack said:

@Foul01

Based on those facts you stated, your conclusion doesn't sound right. Zoo should make at least another $26-28m for at least $60-62 total.

I'm being very conservative

Don't want to get my hopes too high up

48 minutes ago, Arlo245 said:

Why did Zoo drop like 36% today?

AEON 9:53 PM JST 

*1 *16483 ズートピア

*2 *16464 殿、利息でござる!
 *3 *10648 世界から猫が消えたなら
 *4 *10532 64-ロクヨン-前編

This is still the highest grossing Tuesday for Zootopia with exception of the Golden Week

Zootopia is definitely on an increasing trend.

On top of that,

Today had one of the greatest come back stories ever.

At 14:30, Zootopia only had half the tickets of 殿、利息でござる!(6k to 11k)

It took Zootopia almost 7 hours to come out on top

Edited by Foul01

Looks like Toho is anticipating great demand for Zootopia.

In the Shinjuku location, it has its bigass TCX screen showing the subtitled version nonstop this Saturday, May 21, and a separate screen showing four shows of the Japanese Dub.

https://hlo.tohotheater.jp/net/movie/TNPI3060J01.do?sakuhin_cd=012947

Edited by cannastop

There are showings at 3AM!? Wonder how many people are going to those. Are this week's showtimes an increase from last week? They might be providing a lot of subtitled showtimes but the admissions still shows an overwhelming preference for the dubbed version; last Sunday only had 11% of admissions for the subbed version, for example.

Anyway, here's a comparison of admission numbers relative to opening day from Mimorin based on the number of days the movies have been in theaters. The other two movies don't include Aeon's numbers, but it shouldn't really matter when you're looking at ratios. You can skip the first 20 days or so because they're filled with holidays that don't line up with each other. I have no idea what happened on January 18 and 19 for Big Hero 6, whether it was an error on Mimorin's part or if there was some other reason, but apart from that everything looks normal enough. The three movies matched up almost exactly on their 20th and 21st days, but Zootopia is playing much stronger on the weekends.

zMdfNfv.png

• Like 4

This is a great chart LMAbacus.

Box Office Mojo updated at last the figures:

JAPAN
Weekend Box Office

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
 / 
% Change
Screens Change /Avg. Gross-to-Date Week #
Apr. 23–24 2 $3,988,949 - 471 - $8,469 $3,988,949 1
Apr. 30–May 1 2 $4,795,368 +20.2% 0 -471 n/a $13,531,841 2
May 7–8 1 $3,611,350 -24.7% 0 - n/a $27,896,906 3
May 14–15 1 $4,225,882 +17.0% 0 - n/a $34,335,852 4

Now that the billion is virtually guaranteed, I hope Disney will consider making a sequel. :wub:

Update from Mimorin:

UNITED系の取得が止まっている様子です。
仕事中なので対応は夜自宅に戻ってからです。
ガルパンの影響か深夜の一覧取得時の動作に
問題があると、翌朝以降の取得に障害が出るようです。

イオンですが、ガルパンの4DXチケットを
必至で取った身なので文句は言えませんが。

Rough Translation:

"It seems like all UNITED related updates have been stopped.
As I am still in work now, I can only respond after I am back home at night.

Due to the influence of Garupan (short for "Girls und Panzer")
It will be at least tomorrow morning before the problem can be solved.

Even in Aeon, I cannot say for sure that we can definitely get the ticket for Garupan 4DX."

Apparently whoever is running Mimorin is ditching us for Girls und Panzer... interesting unfold of events.

Search Results

I saw that too. So Girls und Panzer was released November 21. Is it still in theaters? That's even longer than Frozen!

Oh well, it won't matter that much for Zootopia's daily gross estimates if it's not being included, since UNITED accounts for the lowest percentage of tickets of the six; it accounted for 4.5% yesterday, for instance.

Edited by LMAbacus

On 5/18/2016 at 5:00 PM, LMAbacus said:

I saw that too. So Girls und Panzer was released November 21. Is it still in theaters? That's even longer than Frozen!

Oh well, it won't matter that much for Zootopia's daily gross estimates if it's not being included, since UNITED accounts for the lowest percentage of tickets of the six; it accounted for 4.5% yesterday, for instance.

Yes. There is still 1 theater showing so still counts as consecutive record.

Speaking of that issue mentioned above, probably due to 153 theaters (this is 38 more than their original screen count in Nov 21, 2015) will be (re-)showing it starting from 21st May till 31st May to conclude their long release, as a celebration of Blu-ray release. So even it don't matter in this week's weekdays, but certainly mattered a lot in result in this weekend since unknown number of 4DX joined in it.

Should this ended at 31st May the consecutive records it would be 193 days. However, for longest showing in 2015 releases, still 9 days short to Love Live! The School Idol Movie (13th June till 31st December, 202 days)

So consider margin of this and Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Rebellion (2013) is less than 0.1BJPY. They are determined to overtake the latter to be second-highest gross film based on a late-night animation in their final 10 days sprint.

===

Edited 10th June:

• It has officially passed Love Live! The School Idol Movie's 202 day record as longest run in 2015 releases. Particularly, Cinema City (the only theater showing them before expansion) has no plan to end the showing too soon, they even added another format starting from 18th June. I would not be surprised if Cinema City are going to show this for a whole year, as their tickets are still popular among the fans. (The are not 4DX but tailored audio-adjusted version)
  • As expected, it has already become the second-highest gross film based on a late-night animation (currently 2.2B), it is very difficult to climb at top place even they got a 0.1B/wk pace on last two weeks, however, as some of them chosen continue to show them for a forseeable time, the final of this is yet to be determined.
Edited by maxima
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Max said:

This is a great chart LMAbacus.

Box Office Mojo updated at last the figures:

JAPAN
Weekend Box Office

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
 / 
% Change
Screens Change /Avg. Gross-to-Date Week #
Apr. 23–24 2 $3,988,949 - 471 - $8,469 $3,988,949 1
Apr. 30–May 1 2 $4,795,368 +20.2% 0 -471 n/a $13,531,841 2
May 7–8 1 $3,611,350 -24.7% 0 - n/a $27,896,906 3
May 14–15 1 $4,225,882 +17.0% 0 - n/a $34,335,852 4

Now that the billion is virtually guaranteed, I hope Disney will consider making a sequel. :wub:

I've said this before, but considering Disney's crowded film schedule, the earliest we should expect a Zootopia sequel is 2022.

27 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I've said this before, but considering Disney's crowded film schedule, the earliest we should expect a Zootopia sequel is 2022.

As long as they decide to make a new one, I am fine to wait for years. ^_^

EDIT: Final numbers:

*1  *31937  ズートピア (Zootopia)
 *2  *20639  殿、利息でござる!(Tono, risoku de gozaru)
 *3  *18971  世界から猫が消えたなら (If Cats Disappeared)

4% increase for Zootopia from last week.
Edited by cannastop
  • Like 3

Hey guys, maybe it's been mentioned already, but I just realised that Zootopia was initially available only in English, while the Japanese dubbed version became available on May 10 (a week ago): http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/japan-box-office-zootopia-holds-894326 This is probably, and fortunately, what has boosted it this past weekend. Hopefully, it can keep up this pace.

Edited by Quigley

Just now, Quigley said:

Hey guys, maybe it's been mentioned already, but I just realised that Zootopia was initially available only in English, while the Japanese dubbed version became available on May 10 (a week ago): http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/japan-box-office-zootopia-holds-894326 This is probably, and fortunately, what has boosted it this apst weekend. Hopefully, it can keep up this pace.

That Hollywood Reporter guy fucked up. I have no idea where he got that idea, but Zootopia has been available in Japanese dub or English with subtitles since day one. I've looked at the listing since its opening.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

It would've had an opening, like, 20% its actual if it had only been released in the subbed version. Audiences don't want to have to read subtitles for a movie this visually pleasing.

Clearly not true for all audiences. Toho's subtitled screenings of Zootopia sell out around 75% of their seats on weekends. It's still kind of a niche thing, though.

Edited by cannastop