Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Is HDYL losing all of its IMAX screen to MI:DR? That could explain the harsh drop since HDYL was a IMAX record opener last weekend.  But yeah, such a weak Friday after strong mid-week is surprising. 

Edited by titanic2187

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Is HDYL losing all of its IMAX screen to MI:DR? That could explain the harsh drop since HDYL was a IMAX record opener last weekend.  But yeah, such a weak Friday after strong mid-week is surprising. 

It still has a few IMAX showings but it seems to have lost most of them and all dolby as well.

Unfortunately that also means the drop will be even worse than admits suggest because ATP will fall off a cliff too...

Edited by JustLurking

Many reviews pointed out that the "no spoilers no images no trailers" campaign for The Boy and the Heron was the best thing about the cinematic experience rather than the actual story so I guess I owe Suzuki an apology for doubting him lol.

He's also vindicated for changing the English title because apparently it's inspired by the title of the French animated movie The King and the Mockingbird which was a huge influence for Miyazaki in filmmaking. And I guess it's also to minimize the confusion of whether the movie is an adaptation of the 1937 novel. I'm warming up to the new title myself, knowing this information.

Edited by Royce

Industry Forecast for Summer Tentpoles

• How Do You Live? - ¥11.0B 
  • Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One - ¥7.0B
  • Kingdom III - Flame of Destiny - ¥6.5B
  • ShinChan 3D - ¥5.0B
  • Barbie - ¥4.0B
  • Transformers: Rise of the Beasts - ¥3.5B
  • Elemental - ¥1.2B
  • Revolver Lily - ¥1.2B
  • Sand land - ¥900M
  • Meg 2: The Trench - ¥400M
Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Industry Forecast for Summer Tentpoles

• How Do You Live? - ¥11.0B 
  • Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One - ¥7.0B
  • Kingdom III - Flame of Destiny - ¥6.5B
  • ShinChan 3D - ¥5.0B
  • Barbie - ¥4.0B
  • Transformers: Rise of the Beasts - ¥3.5B
  • Elemental - ¥1.2B
  • Revolver Lily - ¥1.2B
  • Sand land - ¥900M
  • Meg 2: The Trench - ¥400M

Looks low for Elemental and high for transformers

Kinda need to give time to "How Do You Live?" We will see later - we practically have the whole summer and Obon Festival so will wait and watch.

"Elemental" like usual neither me nor Industry keep hopes on Disney release. Will eventually know it's potential once open. Pixar has also lose audience to Illumination (which dominates the Imported Animation Market)

"Transformers: Rise Of Beasts" expected to rebound. Expected to do 2x of "The Last Knight" (¥1.75B)

Kingdom often disappointed me when Kingdom II fallen behind Kingdom I, though it has opened higher - Forecast of Kingdom II was ¥8.0B but did ¥5.16B.

"Shin-Chan 3D" phenomenon has being compared with "Stand By Me: Doraemon" Recent Conan &One Piece and even Doraemon films are able to rebound and upgrade their GA expansion so why not Shin-Chan?

"SAND LAND" probably going to be the interesting one. It's getting the PLFs and probably getting in opposite range of the IF.

Won't talk much about "Barbie". I have detailed back on Barbie Thread how Barbie arrived on Japan. Current Forecast is ¥4.0B anything above will be a bonus -

5 hours ago, Bob Train said:

That seems low for Elemental.

It is low. Less than $10 million.

But since other Disney movies in Japan haven't really taken off, it's hard to know.

But I think it will be easy to tell if Elemental will pass that mark after a day or two.