Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Agree with mojoguy on this. While I would gladly pay extra for a 3D viewing when 2D is sold out, i'd be really hesitant to dish out even $1 extra for movies I was on the fence on. Hopefully frozen proves to be the former for the majority of people in Japan.

Is a ¥100 yen (~$1) increase in ticket prices really that big of a deal? Sure, I'll be pissed if tickets for me increased $1, but I would still go to the movies that I really want to see in movie theaters. The increase would just mean I would be more likely to avoid movies that I'm unsure about. :wacko:

That's pretty much what I've been doing with 3D movies post Avatar. For some reason a disproportionate number of crappy movies seem to be 3D. I certainly watch my share of bad movies, but I really don't want to pay extra for the privilege. Although, with my stockpile of 3D glasses I've been known to pay for a 2D movie and actually see the 3D movie. ;)

The increase is all tax? Or part admission? If there was already a 5% tax and raised to 8%, thats just a 300yen increase.

Part admission.  The tax increase alone would take an adult ticket from ¥1800 to about ¥1851; the theaters are also increasing their pre-tax price from ¥1714 to ¥1759 to bring the final amount to a nice round number.

Is a ¥100 yen (~$1) increase in ticket prices really that big of a deal? Sure, I'll be pissed if tickets for me increased $1, but I would still go to the movies that I really want to see in movie theaters. The increase would just mean I would be more likely to avoid the movies that I'm unsure about. :wacko:

That makes sense. That what I would do too. For movies with great WOM it won't really matter, but for other movies, even the "okay" ones, they will probably get hit harder.

That's pretty much what I've been doing with 3D movies post Avatar. For some reason a disproportionate number of crappy movies seem to be 3D. I certainly watch my share of bad movies, but I really don't want to pay extra for the privilege. Although, with my stockpile of 3D glasses I've been known to pay for a 2D movie and actually see the 3D movie. ;)

Fortunately ticket prices for 3D movies here are the same as 2D movies in most theaters (except IMAX of course) :). And in the rest of the theaters, there are only $0.5-1 differences.

ETA: I just checked and IMAX 3D and 2D actually have the same prices. And now they are actually 25% cheaper than 5 months ago.

Edited by catlover

Yes, it happened to all the movies. However, most movies didnt perform well in the afternoon and evening yesterday. For example, Doraemon only increased 1700. Tomorrow will be a holiday and movies might perform better tonight. Lets wait and see.

Edited by LABAS

Why are the numbers lower than yesterday? That's a little bit weird. New movies aren't released until tomorrow. Did that happen to all movies?

last Fri the evening number more than doubled the afternoon. maybe it does 45k. Still an improvement over yesterday.i was thinking much larger though.2.8m fri14.1m week. Thats better than any TS3 week.

『アナと雪の女王』は3/26のレディスデーの動員39万7223人で、3/22の土曜対比で114%、 前週水曜対比で183%を記録。今日3/28で興収40億円突破が確実となっています。

Frozen made 397,223 admissions on Wednesday(3/26), +83% from Wed(3/19)/+14% from Sat(3/22).Crossed 4B yen on Today. Edited by Olive
  • Like 1

The overall gross looks right. The ticket price vary on different daysopening friday was a toho discount day they had extra admissions.$10.00ladies day wed are mostly 10.00. That'll drop wed to 4.5$10.50 aveAll other days before spring break. 12.50 would bring last weekend up to 8.5.$12-$12.50.spring break days$11.50.labas said tickets decrease over time but there is an increase on Tues. Very hard to keep it tweeked.nice job on the table. I was too lazy to make one.

Today Screendaily.com report that Frozen OS stays at 661,1M$ with an increase from last sunday +9,1M$. Considering it as mon-tue-wed OS gross and done for 99% in Japan, it's more similar to my estimates 8,75M$. Also my statistical tool predict Toho admissions 47000 for fri,75000 for sat, 70000 for sun, with a 3-week total gross of 52,5M$. We'll see if it had worked well.

• Like 1

Today Screendaily.com report that Frozen OS stays at 661,1M$ with an increase from last sunday +9,1M$. Considering it as mon-tue-wed OS gross and done for 99% in Japan, it's more similar to my estimates 8,75M$. Also my statistical tool predict Toho admissions 47000 for fri,75000 for sat, 70000 for sun, with a 3-week total gross of 52,5M$. We'll see if it had worked well.

like I said your total gross is good. $12 ticket ave looks good for overall estimation.The individual days are off because the ave price per ticket varies by 25% on different days and you are using the same multiplier for wed, SB, and sun. Not a big deal.

disappointing end to a great week.  may have matched TS3's best midweek at 13.6

Yeah... but maybe the last three or four days were just too crazy we became numb. And I don't know for sure, but it looks like other movies were a bit underwhelming too.

Its Fri-to-Fri hold isn't much better than Doraemon's, while the hold difference was huge last weekend. Most definitely not a good day, but I still think it will increase again this weekend.

Unfortunately, we don't have any past data to make any sort of valid projection or to judge the daily performance. We're just conjecturing.