Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

$832M ONA total at BOM seems low, once again. Only $13.3M Mon-Sun. If Frozen $6M during the week => only $7.3M weekend? That can't be true.

I think we are used to underestimating by now. Pretty much every week has been 1-2m low for quite a while now, except for last week which I think was within 200k for the first time in forever. ;)

$68M left to reach $900M ONA. With 6 weeks left until DVD release, it needs ~$11.3M on average in the next 6 weeks. Then needs $40M more to surpass HP7:P2. Hoping for the best.

Even with the DVD release (assuming it doesn't get postponed) I think it could still challenge 300m. Frozen is close to 210m now, If it can keep this leggy run going and average somewhere around 9 million a week that would be another 54m. I don't think Frozen will stop dead with the DVD release, it's legs might get cut off and only do another 25-30m from that point instead of another 75m+, but that would put it in the 290's, close enough a small push could get it over.

BOM new total for Japan: 205,9M$.

I get the feeling they completely messed up the Sunday number. 205.9 is more than 2.5m low. Corpse has it at 208.8m, adding the numbers in this thread it comes up to 208.2m (using an even 8.0 weekend). Hmm, the difference is almost exactly what you would get if you took out the 2.75m from Saturday.

I get the feeling they completely messed up the Sunday number. 205.9 is more than 2.5m low. Corpse has it at 208.8m, adding the numbers in this thread it comes up to 208.2m (using an even 8.0 weekend). Hmm, the difference is almost exactly what you would get if you took out the 2.75m from Saturday.

We had a thursday actual. The midweek was def 6m. i am certain the weekend was close to 8.4. Corpse essentially said he was guessing. Suber, cant say anything about him w/o getting lewd.21.24b yen. the actual tomorrow will be close to thatWrite disneyhttp://thewaltdisneycompany.com/contact-us/corporate-communications

It'll all be updated in the end, don't worry.

I'm not worrying, cuz I know it'll all be updated in the end. I'm just annoyed that I have to wait another day or two every week because Disney/BOM report numbers that are not even remotely close to the actuals.

I'm not worrying, cuz I know it'll all be updated in the end. I'm just annoyed that I have to wait another day or two every week because Disney/BOM report numbers that are not even remotely close to the actuals.

There's only estimates out so far, of course they won't be that close to actuals yet. And why do you even care what it says on BOM? All you need is the Yen gross and then you can convert that yourself.

Already wrote my letter to them:

Dear Walt Disney Company

I am writting this letter because I have been following the box office run of Frozen ever since its limited release on November 22nd and then went wide on November 27th. It was a very fun movie to track at the box office ever sice its opening day, surpassing expectations every day, every week in every country around the world, especially in Japan where its (still) making most of its money, witch brings me the reason  to why I am writing this letter to you.

Evere since March 14th of 2014, Frozen held the number one spot in Japan for 12th weeks in a row and so far has made $ 208 million as we speak, and it has not slown down because its weakest weekends are, surprisingly, its opening weekend ($7.5m) and last weekend ($6.8m) at this pace it has a major potential to break the record of the 4th highest grossing movie of all time surpassing "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II" ($1.34 billion) and Spirited Away in yen (300 billion yen) to become the highest grossing movie of all time in Japan. But this potential will be ruined because of the same problem why Frozen crashed after four months at the US box office: The DVD/Blu Ray release. While the Home Video bussines still fairly profitable in the US (despite the arrilval of Netflix and Hulu) the same cannot be said for Japan as DVDs and Blu Rays are very expensive there and not very profitable at all. Only Spirited Away sold just over 1 million units and that was just a very little fraction to the money it earned in theatres. I heard that Frozen will be released in Japan on July 16 and as a Box Office tracker myself I think this is suicidal in terms of financial bussiness as the Home Video bussiness in Japan is poor and Frozen is not slowing down even after 3 months of release there, in fact its getting stronger. If the release date in July still stands we are talking about losing 50 million dollars in revenue, maybe even more. Movies in Japan usually get 9 months of release in theatres before they get to Home Video so why not give Frozen the same treatment? Half of the bussiness in theatres in Japan its been coming from Frozen alone ever since its opening day in that country so In my humble opinion I think its convinient both for the theatre owners in Japan and for the Walt Disney company to delay the release of Frozen on Home Video in Japan at least until December when Disney´s next animated hit Big Hero 6 comes out in Japan. This way Frozen will reach its maximun potential at the box office, the thetare owners will make money, Frozen will still break records for the news headlines, still make money on Home Video and will not compete with Walt Disney Animation Studios itself (Big Hero 6). 

Everybody wins!!!

I hope somebody at the company will take notice of this because this Frozen run at the box office is so big and unique, that it would be a real shame if the movie gets its legs cut (yet again) because of an early release in Home Video (like in the US), Trust me, its more profitable this way.

With kind regards, Armando.

I hope that helps  ^_^
  • Like 4

There's only estimates out so far, of course they won't be that close to actuals yet. And why do you even care what it says on BOM? All you need is the Yen gross and then you can convert that yourself.

BOM usually wrong the numbers, but don't worry that is normal...