Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

So they'll just suddenly pull a $10 million a week movie off the screens just to make a statement about the superiority of Japanese animation over american? What crackpot genius came up with this idea

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 3

I have a feeling mfantin will stop that from happening. He will threaten to nuke japan for sure if it happens.  :P

no. Nuke Burbank California. :POr threaten to !/&& . "!/^&(lewd comment) mickey in the $#$$ !!#/ at disney land in front of all the nice children. :o Edited by T E Lawrence

Link?

http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0063487

" 7月16日のソフト化、それに先駆けた7月9日からのオンデマンド配信も決定したことから、7月で劇場におけるファーストランはひとまず終了予定。累計興 収は212億3,108万1,650円を突破したところで、これから1か月強の上映期間内に日本歴代興収2位の『タイタニック』(同262億円)を越える のは難しいかもしれないが、今後の推移に注目したいところだ。 "

終了予定 =scheduled to stop screening

http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0063487 " 7月16日のソフト化、それに先駆けた7月9日からのオンデマンド配信も決定したことから、7月で劇場におけるファーストランはひとまず終了予定。累計興 収は212億3,108万1,650円を突破したところで、これから1か月強の上映期間内に日本歴代興収2位の『タイタニック』(同262億円)を越える のは難しいかもしれないが、今後の推移に注目したいところだ。 " 終了予定 =scheduled to stop screening

Google translate (I know, I know), says something about "for the time being" (this part: ひとまず). So that might mean reissue later on maybe?

The news report is from cinematoday jp , which says Frozen is scheduled to stop screening in July.The report also says that it is hard for Frozen to surpass Titanic by 7/16.

writers are useless when looking at numbers. 50m more in 6 weeks to pass titanic is a slam dunk.

Google translate (I know, I know), says something about "for the time being" (this part: ひとまず). So that might mean reissue later on maybe?

I really hope so.  As long as Frozen still maintains top 10 after the release of BD, there is no reason to stop screening thoroughly.

This never happens in Japan.  Maybe someone can go to another forum to ask Corpse...

So they'll just suddenly pull a $10 million a week movie off the screens just to make a statement about the superiority of Japanese animation over american? What crackpot genius came up with this idea

Was not that a storyline in Mr.Baseball?

The Tom Selleck-character foregoing a possible home-run record  in Japan to honor his Japanese coach who held the record?

Was not that a storyline in Mr.Baseball?

The Tom Selleck-character foregoing a possible home-run record  in Japan to honor his Japanese coach who held the record?

That's a more personal connection between two people with a deep history. What we're talking about is strictly business. 

Truly the most unprecedented fucked up run of all time.Ive been tracking bo for nearly 40 years. just one of many things I look forward to every week. Used to catch a bo number on radio or tv on monday eve or in tues paper. Fun to track and predict. Mojo made tracking easier and more often after 25 years using memory. There are few runners anymore. Who cares if a movie opens at 100m and does it do 200m or 250m like godzilla xmen spidey. When hunger games had a large first monday blowing away twilight I knew it would have a shot at IM3 while subers(ruined mojo) was squawking 350. But even that is rare to see it play out as frozen was cut down in march. Now this, fuck it. Time to retire from this hobby thats turned to shit.Time for another long walk in the himalayas, inspired by "razors edge" and "seven years in Tibet". I have to do the 500 mile walk in spain next year. I liked that journey in "the way".This shit just kills meget busy living or get busy dying - Andy dufresne

Edited by T E Lawrence
  • Like 1

10m and right before summer season.thats like not selling winter coats in Dec. Eh, we'll sell them in april :wacko: Edited by T E Lawrence

Well, they did say "first run". There's also a Japanese term "ロングラン" (long run) which means a movie is played in the theater for a long period of time. A lot of Ghibli movies got this treatment. Maybe Frozen will get it too. Who knows.

That's a more personal connection between two people with a deep history. What we're talking about is strictly business. 

That is not the point. You can honor somebody by breaking his(her,its) record and say that you care about that record.

For instance in alpine skiing (Frozen-themed): Austrian skier Marlies Schild broke Suisse Vreni Schneiders record: most Slalom victories in World Cup

http://www.laola1.at/de/wintersport/ski-alpin/menupunkte/ewige-bestenliste-damen/page/9701-303-193-193-.html

Retired Vreni Schneider truly enjoyed the time, when she got interviewed again and again and everybody in Austria and Switzerland spoke about the record.

That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I've never heard of any studio ending a movie's run early "to pay homage" to another movie or person, especially when the movie is still going strong.

If that ever became the norm we'd never get another record ever again. It would be like a having a movie do 170m on Friday and Saturday and the studio saying they cancelled all Sunday showings to pay homage to The Avengers 200m opening weekend.

Disney is first and foremost a corporation,their job, and responsibility to their shareholders, is to make as much from their properties as possible, and foregoing another 40 or 50m (that's on top of the 40-50m it will already be losing due to the ridiculously early DVD/Blue Ray release)  for no reason at all is just poor business.

The movie should be left to run until it finally runs out of gas and is no longer is profitable to keep in theaters, like every other movie ever released.

• Like 2

That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I've never heard of any studio ending a movie's run early "to pay homage" to another movie or person, especially when the movie is still going strong.If that ever became the norm we'd never get another record ever again. It would be like a having a movie do 170m on Friday and Saturday and the studio saying they cancelled all Sunday showings to pay homage to The Avengers 200m opening weekend.Disney is first and foremost a corporation,their job, and responsibility to their shareholders, is to make as much from their properties as possible, and foregoing another 40 or 50m (that's on top of the 40-50m it will already be losing due to the ridiculously early DVD/Blue Ray release)  for no reason at all is just poor business.The movie should be left to run until it finally runs out of gas and is no longer is profitable to keep in theaters, like every other movie ever released.

If they think they can get more money by pulling it out of theatres and forcing people to either buy or rent on Blu ray, they'll do that. Perfectly legitimate. That homage thing was speculation by posters on a Japanese forum:

People in the Japanese forum say perhaps Disney decides not to surpass Spirited away to pay homage to Japanese animation.

Time for another long walk in the himalayas, inspired by "razors edge" and "seven years in Tibet". I have to do the 500 mile walk in spain next year. I liked that journey in "the way".This shit just kills meget busy living or get busy dying - Andy dufresne

Mfantin/T.E.Lawrence was here.

That is not the point. You can honor somebody by breaking his(her,its) record and say that you care about that record.

For instance in alpine skiing (Frozen-themed): Austrian skier Marlies Schild broke Suisse Vreni Schneiders record: most Slalom victories in World Cup

http://www.laola1.at/de/wintersport/ski-alpin/menupunkte/ewige-bestenliste-damen/page/9701-303-193-193-.html

Retired Vreni Schneider truly enjoyed the time, when she got interviewed again and again and everybody in Austria and Switzerland spoke about the record.

Actually it is the point that matters here. Your examples are all of connections between people, where actions such as not breaking records because you honor them actually means something. Disney is not a singular entity where one person calls all the shots it's a huge multinational cooperation where money is king. No doubting the nobility of the action but being noble in the business place doesn't make you a world leader in the entertainment industry.