Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Clearly not true for all audiences. Toho's subtitled screenings of Zootopia sell out around 75% of their seats on weekends. It's still kind of a niche thing, though.

I'm thinking the subtitled version probably attracts those that know some English.

41 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Thursday is most likely going to be a slow day. Moviegoers are going to wait until Friday to buy tickets because the 20th is a discount day for multiple cinema chains in Japan.

Where are you getting all this information? And does it also list future discount days?

• Like 1

RUFKM

Disney did it again. They announced the video release. Frozen started falling 35% after that.

Unreal. They really know how to kill a run

ズートピアビデオリリースが発表されていません。イムはちょうどあなたをいじり。

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

RUFKM

Disney did it again. They announced the video release. Frozen started falling 35% after that.

For when?

Edit: False alarm:angry::lol:

Edited by Arlo245
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

RUFKM

Haha "Zootopia video release has not been announced. I'm just messing with you." You got me on that one :lol:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LMAbacus said:

It would've had an opening, like, 20% its actual if it had only been released in the subbed version. Audiences don't want to have to read subtitles for a movie this visually pleasing.

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Clearly not true for all audiences. Toho's subtitled screenings of Zootopia sell out around 75% of their seats on weekends. It's still kind of a niche thing, though.

oooh this is interesting, Korean audience on the other hand avoid dubbed version like plague unless you have little kids as companions. Out of Korea's 4.7M total admissions only 1.85M went for a dubbed version. Probably because of a different culture cause Korea never dubs regular Hollywood films except for some notable family animated outings, so people naturally think and sort of stigmatize dubbed version as for kids only. And parents also prefer their children to watch the original english version if they're not too little like 4 or 5, for the purpose of english education. That and Japan having much much stronger dubbing culture compare to Korea with lots of voice actors for anime and video game and stuff. I don't know how it's done in other countries, heard once that in Europe dubbed versions are more dominant for all movies, not sure if it's true or not.

Edited by yjs

29 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

RUFKM

Well, if they announce the Japanese video release for August the 23rd or something, that would be just fine.

25 minutes ago, yjs said:

oooh this is interesting, Korean audience on the other hand avoid dubbed version like plague unless you have little kids as companions. Out of Korea's 4.7M total admissions only 1.85M went for a dubbed version. Probably because of a different culture cause Korea never dubs regular Hollywood films except for some notable family animated outings, so people naturally think and sort of stigmatize dubbed version as for kids only. And parents also prefer their children to watch the original english version if they're not too little like 4 or 5, for the purpose of english education. That and Japan having much much stronger dubbing culture compare to Korea with lots of voice actors for anime and video game and stuff. I don't know how it's done in other countries, heard once that in Europe dubbed versions are more dominant for all movies, not sure if it's true or not.

I'm surprised by that. Only 40% of people saw Zootopia in a Korean dub? Where did you get that info, by the way? How was it for Frozen?

With the data I can find on mimorin2014, I think it's maybe 5% of the Japanese audience who watched it in English with subtitles. The sub version is usually only available in the big cities.

Edited by cannastop

1 hour ago, No Prisoners said:

RUFKM

I've never seen text reverse-engineered to give the correct translation. I'll have to try that sometime.

• Like 1

Some good news to start the day.

With exception of the Golden Week (Week 2),

The ticket sales for the past Saturday to Wednesday has been the highest so far in Japan.

Only Sunday isn't the highest, but even then the gap was less than 600 tickets.

Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday
Week 4 98516 113491 26061 16494 31937
Week 1 95546 114071 25171 14844 27452
Week 3 83395 88132 20070 15900 30675

On the Domestic side,

This Tuesday's ticket gross is the first time since Week 5 that there has been an increase Week over Week (by 7%).

Even without data for Wednesday and Thursday, the Week over Week drop is less than 19% at the moment... this week may possibly have the lowest weekly drop (lowest so far is 17.9%).

**the down side: the ranking is still the lowest so far  

Edited by Foul01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yjs said:

I noticed that the more adult fare is much more likely to be seen subbed in Japan, like the Revenant and Civil War.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Foul01 said:

Some good news to start the day.

With exception of the Golden Week (Week 2),

The ticket sales for the past Saturday to Wednesday has been the highest so far in Japan.

Only Sunday isn't the highest, but even then the gap was less than 600 tickets.

That trend is going to end today, but not because the movie underperformed. The day before and after Golden Week seems to experience a halo effect, presumably because people extended the holiday week at the ends. Its first Thursday was inflated due to this, just like Cinderella's first Tuesday was. It's currently tending higher than the same day last week, as it has been doing for the last five days.

4 minutes ago, Foul01 said:

On the Domestic side,

This Tuesday's ticket gross is the first time since Week 5 that there has been an increase Week over Week (by 7%).

Even without data for Wednesday and Thursday, the Week over Week drop is less than 19% at the moment... this week may possibly have the lowest weekly drop (lowest so far is 17.9%).

**the down side: the ranking is still the lowest so far  

I think that's caused by a few schools going on break this week. The good news is that means there's going to be more schools going on break soon. The bad news is that Sony knows that summer break is starting as well and released Angry Birds this weekend to take full advantage of this. I'm just hoping Zootopia can hold onto at least a thousand theaters this weekend.

26 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

I think that's caused by a few schools going on break this week. The good news is that means there's going to be more schools going on break soon. The bad news is that Sony knows that summer break is starting as well and released Angry Birds this weekend to take full advantage of this. I'm just hoping Zootopia can hold onto at least a thousand theaters this weekend.

Were you still talking about Japan? Angry Birds is releasing in NA this weekend but Japan's release isn't until October 1.

Edit: Derp. This was in reply to a comment re: domestic box office. 

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Are we still talking about Japan? Angry Birds is releasing in NA this weekend but Japan's release isn't until October 1.

For a long time, this forum has been less about Japan box office and more about if Zootopia will hit 1 Billion worldwide gross.

As long as most of the posts are still about Japan, I think an occasional mention of the domestic office is fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foul01 said:

For a long time, this forum has been less about Japan box office and more about if Zootopia will hit 1 Billion worldwide gross.

As long as most of the posts are still about Japan, I think an occasional mention of the domestic office is fine.

hahaha yes. fair point. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

Alright, so now that I know this comment was in fact referring to domestic box office - I'm wondering if the increase this week might actually be related to Angry Birds taking over theaters. I know I went to re-watch this Tuesday because I had noticed that Zootopia was losing screens to Angry Birds on Thursday night and was worried the 3D screens might be around next week.

In any case, I'm not too worried about it, at most Angry Birds will shave a few millions off of what would have otherwise been the domestic total.

44 minutes ago, Jason said:

Alright, so now that I know this comment was in fact referring to domestic box office - I'm wondering if the increase this week might actually be related to Angry Birds taking over theaters. I know I went to re-watch this Tuesday because I had noticed that Zootopia was losing screens to Angry Birds on Thursday night and was worried the 3D screens might be around next week.

In any case, I'm not too worried about it, at most Angry Birds will shave a few millions off of what would have otherwise been the domestic total.

So far Zootopia worldwide status is as below:

Current Final Estimate  
Domestic  $ 331,840,173  $   338,500,000 if weekly drop maintains at 30%
OS-Japan  $ 604,664,148  $   607,000,000 conservative estimation
Japan  $   34,335,852  $     55,000,000 assuming at least $20M to come
   $ 970,840,173  $ 1,000,500,000  

*all numbers are as of May 15

This coming weekend will be very telling as to where Zootopia may end up.

On the Domestic side, this is Zootopia's first real challenge from a new animated feature (Kung Fu Panda 3 was released before Zootopia and Ratchet & Clank was pretty much a non-factor)

While the drop this week is confirmed to be less than 19%, there may still be significant drops in the future depending on how well Angry Birds performs this weekend... for every million that Angry Birds take from Zootopia in the domestic office, Zootopia will need to make up in Japan.

On the OS-Japan side, if BoxOfficeMOjo is accurate, OS-Japan only made around $2.5M last week. As the OS-Japan market is diminishing and assuming Turkey only makes $1M (conservative estimation), the final result may not be much higher than $607M

On Japan's side,

Zootopia is currently at $34.3M. Considering that Cinderella, Frozen, and Big Hero 6 all made another $22M~$26M after their last weekend box office of around $4M, $55M is most likely a safe number for Zootopia in Japan... this will barely push Zootopia over the Billion mark.

However, if Angry Bird does manage to shave off a few million from Zootopia in the domestic office (although probably not more than $3M), Zootopia will still need to do as much as $58M
Whether or not this is possible will depend on this coming weekend. I would think another weekend box office of $4M will virtually guarantee $60M Japan box office to happen.

• Like 1